• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CFP Comics & Services Cleaning & Pressing
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, Extrovert said:

Here's the Hulk Joe worked on. Mecha - I can't check the results, they were all dropped off by Joe and run through his account. He offers a price reduction with CGC this way.

I got this from Joe's website. It seems that this is no longer true. @joeypost

Offices opening 1/3/2022. With CGC now offering free notes to Associate and higher CS members, and dealers only able to offer a 15% discount, starting 1/3/2022 all submissions sent into us, need to have associated CGC paperwork with them. If you cannot do this a $20 charge will be associated with every 25 books, we have to create forms for. This is a bottleneck for us and more info regarding the new changes will be in our FAQ section.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:24 PM, Math Teacher said:

I got this from Joe's website. It seems that this is no longer true. @joeypost

Offices opening 1/3/2022. With CGC now offering free notes to Associate and higher CS members, and dealers only able to offer a 15% discount, starting 1/3/2022 all submissions sent into us, need to have associated CGC paperwork with them. If you cannot do this a $20 charge will be associated with every 25 books, we have to create forms for. This is a bottleneck for us and more info regarding the new changes will be in our FAQ section.

True to a degree. Read the faq. 

On 12/28/2021 at 2:42 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Grats on the results. Have you checked the grader's notes on the ASM? Might be worthwhile, it could list what dragged it down, though yeah, I imagine it's that corner. 

@Extrovert, I pulled the graders notes for your Spidey #16...not sure if the staple rust impacted the grade at all?

CGC Cert #
Title
Amazing Spider-Man
Issue
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE
Grader Notes
light spine stress lines to cover
light, multiple staple rusted
very light creasing to cover
very small scuff left top of front cover breaks color

On 1/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, silverseeker said:

@Extrovert, I pulled the graders notes for your Spidey #16...not sure if the staple rust impacted the grade at all?

CGC Cert #
Title
Amazing Spider-Man
Issue
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE
Grader Notes
light spine stress lines to cover
light, multiple staple rusted
very light creasing to cover
very small scuff left top of front cover breaks color

"very small scuff left top of front cover breaks color" - I believe that's the culprit right there. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:32 PM, Calling All Monsters said:

How could it not?

Yeah, of course it did, but I believe he, like me, was looking for a primary reason for the grade to have been dropped. I believe it's the upper left corner, it catches the eye all too easily.

I recently got this back from CGC. I really thought it would grade somewhere north of a 9. The most interesting part is that Gil Kane is "written" on page 1 in marker. I bought this comic at a FLA convention when I was maybe 14, likely a bit younger. I never opened the book, just kept it protected. I stupidly didn't look it over prior to submitting it for grading; because it was my first time submitting books and I didn't know any better. So now I have to wonder two things: 1. When they say written, does that mean it's a signature? 2. If it is a signature, and obviously CGC wouldn't recognize it as being genuine, could that reduce the grade? The grader notes make no mention of it.

20220201_074631.jpg

20220201_063741.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 7:59 AM, Extrovert said:

I recently got this back from CGC. I really thought it would grade somewhere north of a 9. The most interesting part is that Gil Kane is "written" on page 1 in marker. I bought this comic at a FLA convention when I was maybe 14, likely a bit younger. I never opened the book, just kept it protected. I stupidly didn't look it over prior to submitting it for grading; because it was my first time submitting books and I didn't know any better. So now I have to wonder two things: 1. When they say written, does that mean it's a signature? 2. If it is a signature, and obviously CGC wouldn't recognize it as being genuine, could that reduce the grade? The grader notes make no mention of it.

20220201_074631.jpg

20220201_063741.jpg

Not a huge deal, but this doesn’t seem to have too much to do with the original topic.  Maybe start your own thread in this subforum or the signature subfourm

On 2/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, shadroch said:

In that grade, CGC won't deduct for the name.  Most likely, it is a Kane signature from before you bought the book. For some people, this will make the book more attractive and worth more. For most, it will be neutral.

Well, that's a more positive spin. Thanks.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:10 AM, Extrovert said:

Oh wow, thanks! So I can pull the grader's notes using the Cert #? I didn't know that; again, this is my first time getting books slabbed.

History on that book - I was likely about 13 years old and saw an advert for a local yard sale that had comics. I got there early, with the help of my dad, and they had three non-comic cardboard boxes full of loose comics, most in so-so condition, but nearly all were early Marvel. I tried to buy them all, but the seller was somewhat aware they could be worth some money. I only had about $100 to spend and bought as much as the guy would sell. I wound up snagging a run of ASM #16 thru the 30s (which should all grade around the 6.5ish level), and I snagged Conan 1-5. I can't recall everything he had but he wouldn't sell his early Avengers or any of his Silver Surfer books - I think he had a full run. He also wouldn't sell the main comic I was after, FF #1. I'd guess it would grade at a 5 or so now.

That sounds like an an amazing yard sale!! Congrats! 

On 2/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, shadroch said:

In that grade, CGC won't deduct for the name.  Most likely, it is a Kane signature from before you bought the book. For some people, this will make the book more attractive and worth more. For most, it will be neutral.

I agree. There isn't allot of incentive to forge a Kane signature and the first page is where they use to sign them. 

So you likely have a legit signature from an old show, which is pretty cool. 

Can I ask a general question about CFP? I love their reputation and fully grasp the industry backlog. So I took the leap of faith and submitted a handful of books mid-July 2021. His website mentions that he's currently working on books rec'd/paid in Oct 2021 but when I log into CFP it shows my order status as "Books received at CFP". 

My question: does CFP not update the status or does this mean CFP hasn't pressed/cleaned my books yet? I sent an email to CFP but haven't heard back so thought I'd see what your experience has been. Since it's my 1st time submitting books, I'm anxious. Especially since these books were my most of my big keys...

On 6/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, Imbo said:

Can I ask a general question about CFP? I love their reputation and fully grasp the industry backlog. So I took the leap of faith and submitted a handful of books mid-July 2021. His website mentions that he's currently working on books rec'd/paid in Oct 2021 but when I log into CFP it shows my order status as "Books received at CFP". 

My question: does CFP not update the status or does this mean CFP hasn't pressed/cleaned my books yet? I sent an email to CFP but haven't heard back so thought I'd see what your experience has been. Since it's my 1st time submitting books, I'm anxious. Especially since these books were my most of my big keys...

@joeypost