• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading Suggestions
2 2

55 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, Wolverinex said:

Let us know what you think

Well, I have read the first twelve issues of TICM (a friend loaned my his TPB with issues #1 - #12). I found most of the issues enjoyable, but sometimes I don't understand what's going on. For example, who is the gunslinger character and how is he related to The Ice Cream Man; I think it would be best if you PMed me rather than posting here on the forum, so as to avoid posting any spoilers.

As for SIKTC, I started reading the first three issues, and I stopped after one issue, because I didn't care for it. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, but I know I didn't like it.

On 1/7/2022 at 5:44 PM, piper said:

A few more Image suggestions:

Saga

Deadly Class

Sex Criminals 

I have read Saga up to issue #52. I have found some issues that were interesting, but there were other issues that seemed to be just marking time. I don't think I am going to read any further in this series.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

As for SIKTC, I started reading the first three issues, and I stopped after one issue, because I didn't care for it. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, but I know I didn't like it.

I bailed on SIKTC after about six issues. I read the first issue of House of Slaughter and will not be continuing. For whatever reason this universe is not for me. I like other stuff Tynion has written (Nice House on the Lake, Joker, Memetic) so it's not him specifically. 

Any of the Brubaker/Philips Criminal stuff is great but I prefer more street level and crime stuff than superhero stuff. 

Ice Cream Man I've read up to issue 12 so far. Some issues are fantastic, some meh. 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:04 PM, Ryan. said:

I bailed on SIKTC after about six issues. I read the first issue of House of Slaughter and will not be continuing. For whatever reason this universe is not for me. I like other stuff Tynion has written (Nice House on the Lake, Joker, Memetic) so it's not him specifically. 

Any of the Brubaker/Philips Criminal stuff is great but I prefer more street level and crime stuff than superhero stuff. 

Ice Cream Man I've read up to issue 12 so far. Some issues are fantastic, some meh. 

I agree.  I have the first trade of SIKTC and didn't finish it.. I bailed right after the 5th issue.  Didn't care for it for whatever reason and didn't bother reading the 6th issue.

Come to think of it... I haven't liked Tynions Batman much.  Already enjoying Williamsons first couple issues more.  And didn't care for his Detective run either.

I do really like Nice House though.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:29 AM, Arkham said:

I have to also second @Blankedboy's suggestion of Nocterra - this was one of my most enjoyed titles for 2021. I think the first arc is out in trade now.

Nocterra wasn’t too bad, new volume has just started now.

I do find it insanely annoying though when new stuff gets hyped so quick that the current and next issue suddenly spikes before you have a chance to get it. It’s happening again with Thor just now after #20 got the new villain treatment and suddenly #21 is a £10 book to get hold of. Nonsense! Just means I’ll have to drop the title now as I’m not paying that to keep up with the story.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:55 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have read Saga up to issue #52. I have found some issues that were interesting, but there were other issues that seemed to be just marking time. I don't think I am going to read any further in this series.

I read the first fifteen issues and it's pretty good.  When I get a chance, I'll read some more.  Looks like it goes down hill later on.  I'll keep your comment in mind when I start reading again.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, Ryan. said:

This Thor arc isn't that good anyway. 

Yeah you’re probably right, time to flog #1 - #20 for a quick buck. 
Seems a rinse and repeat scenario for any donny cates series that gets going. It happened with Venom and now Hulk too, just buy the first few issues and you know there’s going to be a new bad guy in there somewhere.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:52 AM, RickSp said:

Yeah you’re probably right, time to flog #1 - #20 for a quick buck. 
Seems a rinse and repeat scenario for any donny cates series that gets going. It happened with Venom and now Hulk too, just buy the first few issues and you know there’s going to be a new bad guy in there somewhere.

*shrug* I'm enjoying the arc, but then again I really enjoyed the Venom run as well.

Now 30 years old, I guess they're still "Modern" by some definitions.  The main reason early Valiant books were a big deal was the stories, the market values jumped up because of the stories, then the print runs jumped up because of the market values.  Anything pre-Unity (pre-August 1992) Valiant is a good read.

http://valiantfans.com/collect_valiant.pdf

Edited by valiantman

This may very well be my favorite single comic book issue of this century! Great stand alone story, Killing Joke prequel of sorts, it also includes a rather unexpected and funny Star Wars reference.. I've probably read it a dozen times and I almost never watch or re-read anything.

image.thumb.png.741a0569de5318dc80469b7ac7af26e7.png

As for non single issues here are some my modern (1994-current)  DC favorites - Please note I have not been a DC reader since Aug 30, 2011.

JSA Darkness Falls

Stars and STRIPE 1-14 - Wish the series had lasted longer as the fun aspect of the Character and tribute to his sister has not been captured the same way since. We'll not see its like again as Johns' true hubris eventually took over his writing IMHO

Golden Age - James Robinson series

Spectre - Ostrander/Mandrake - love the entire series.

Martian Manhunter - Ostrander/Mandrake - never liked the Character before this series, since then he's been one of my favorites. #23 with the Spectre is one of my all-time favorite comics and favorite Mandrake Spectre cover image.  Entire series is excellent.

Starman - Many of the story arch's stand up to the test of time. Oddly enough my favorite might be "Infernal Devices"

Birds of Prey - 90's series most of Simone's run is excellent.

Sandman Mystery Theater - the Hourman Arc

Unknown Solider by Garth Ennis. At moments almost truly captures the horrors of war atrocities

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, valiantman said:

Now 30 years old, I guess they're still "Modern" by some definitions.  The main reason early Valiant books were a big deal was the stories, the market values jumped up because of the stories, then the print runs jumped up because of the market values.  Anything pre-Unity (pre-August 1992) Valiant is a good read.

http://valiantfans.com/collect_valiant.pdf

Yes, still love Harbinger.