• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading Suggestions
2 2

55 posts in this topic

I’m in a modern Green Lantern hit at the moment. Started with the absolute version of Blackest Night (a gift) and now working back to pick up Absolute Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War.

Great story, great art and feels like a time when DC had a grip on what was happening across the brand.

On 2/21/2022 at 3:31 AM, RickSp said:

I’m in a modern Green Lantern hit at the moment. Started with the absolute version of Blackest Night (a gift) and now working back to pick up Absolute Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War.

Great story, great art and feels like a time when DC had a grip on what was happening across the brand.

Great times reading those runs when they came out.  The whole comic industry seemed to just be putting out some of the best stories of all time, maybe?  Green Lantern across the board was just great.  Good pickups!  (thumbsu

On 1/7/2022 at 6:44 PM, piper said:

A few more Image suggestions:

Saga

Deadly Class

Sex Criminals 

No to all 3 for me. I found the intro to every series to be compelling, but the follow through on every title here was awful. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, MAR1979 said:

This may very well be my favorite single comic book issue of this century! Great stand alone story, Killing Joke prequel of sorts, it also includes a rather unexpected and funny Star Wars reference.. I've probably read it a dozen times and I almost never watch or re-read anything.

image.thumb.png.741a0569de5318dc80469b7ac7af26e7.png

As for non single issues here are some my modern (1994-current)  DC favorites - Please note I have not been a DC reader since Aug 30, 2011.

JSA Darkness Falls

Stars and STRIPE 1-14 - Wish the series had lasted longer as the fun aspect of the Character and tribute to his sister has not been captured the same way since. We'll not see its like again as Johns' true hubris eventually took over his writing IMHO

Golden Age - James Robinson series

Spectre - Ostrander/Mandrake - love the entire series.

Martian Manhunter - Ostrander/Mandrake - never liked the Character before this series, since then he's been one of my favorites. #23 with the Spectre is one of my all-time favorite comics and favorite Mandrake Spectre cover image.  Entire series is excellent.

Starman - Many of the story arch's stand up to the test of time. Oddly enough my favorite might be "Infernal Devices"

Birds of Prey - 90's series most of Simone's run is excellent.

Sandman Mystery Theater - the Hourman Arc

Unknown Solider by Garth Ennis. At moments almost truly captures the horrors of war atrocities

Great suggestions and I agree with many of them.

The launch of the New 52 titles while successful perhaps in the short term seemed to be a natural jumping off point for others.  Sad.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:22 PM, Dberg Dave said:

From last century I nominate Astro City 1/2 (thumbsu

I've been thinking of getting the trades for Astro City for some time now.  I have never read a single issue of the series, but feel compelled to.  Is it a cliche superhero book, or more akin to something like Wanted or The Boys with mature themes etc.?

This is from last year, but I just read the 12-part Strange Adventures miniseries, and wow, I really liked it. I've never been huge into Adam Strange, but I did like some of the stuff in the Rann-Thanagar War/Infinite Crisis stretch. But this miniseries I thought was really well written, and I thought the art was great too. Cool concept and it was a page turner for me.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ryan. said:

Tom King can be hit or miss but his current Human Target series, with Greg Smallwood art, is fantastic. 

King’s smaller bite, limited series books have been great in general. 2c

On 3/1/2022 at 2:58 PM, gradejunky said:

I've been thinking of getting the trades for Astro City for some time now.  I have never read a single issue of the series, but feel compelled to.  Is it a cliche superhero book, or more akin to something like Wanted or The Boys with mature themes etc.?

It was very good for it's time; basically akin to a series of 1-shot DC elseworlds stories. 

The IDW TMNT IDW COLLECTIONS, which collect the whole series (still ongoing) and related ancillary material. It's a great new spin on a story we're all familiar with, and the tight plotting apparently remains this strong all the way until #100, after which it goes downhill. You could just buy the single issues or the tpbs, or do what I did and the IDW COLLECTIONS which contain it all, in the relevant order, giving you the broadest look at everything that took place. So far I haven't been disappointed. It's great having Kevin Eastman back onboard, with Tom Waltz co-plotting. They've done a great job. 

It's somewhat darker than you'd expect from a comic with the Nickolodeon logo on it (children getting beheaded at one stage) but it all ties in really well, and the constant revelations make sense, and genuinely surprise you. 

I have no trouble recommending this series so far. I'm currently on issue #40 of volume 5.

Decided to get back on a few titles after hitting the store a few weeks back.

Picked up Flashpoint Beyond 0 and 1, liking it so far. I miss Geoff johns on DC books.

Worlds Finest 1 and 2 were both great, some wacky action packed fun. And the art is top notch.

I read JL75 too based on the Dark Crisis hype, an event I’ll give a chance but I’d have to say that this death of the justice league issue was just as the reviews suggested. Underwhelming for such a premise. Shame this wasn’t more of a drawn out storyline that built up some intrigue.