• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Have Finished Reducing My Collection
6 6

51 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, Math Teacher said:

Beginning in May of 2020, I decided to reduce the scope of my collection.

Prior to May, 2020, my collection consisted of:

ASM #1 - #700.5, along with annuals
Fantastic Four #1 - #611, along with annuals
Daredevil #0 - #548, along with annuals
Spectacular Spider-Man #0 - #263, along with annuals
Web of Spider-Man #1 - #129, along with annuals
Flash v2 #0 - #247
Star Trek #1 - #18 (Marvel)
Star Trek v1 #1 - #56 (DC)
Star Trek v2 #1 - #80
Close to 200 TPBs, Showcases, Essentials, Archives, Masterworks, Omnibuses, etc.
Atom #1 - #45
Hawkman #1 - #27
Metal Men #1 - #56
Numerous slabs that didn't fit into a particular series, such as SC #55.

I finally said to myself, "Self, you know darn well that you are NEVER going to read any of these issues. Have you looked at the pile of books that are currently in your 'To Read' pile?"

So, I sold the last piece of my collection yesterday, and now, my collection consists of:

ASM #1 - #400, with Annuals #1 - #5
FF #1 - #300, with Annuals #1 - #6
Daredevil #1 - #200, with Annuals #1 and #4
Atom #1 - #45 (still missing a few issues)
Hawkman #1 - #27 (still missing a few issues)
Metal Men #1 - #56

I can now get my entire collection of comics and Stephen King hardcovers into a single bookcase that I had built back in the early 1980s. I still have my slabs in boxes, as they won't fit on my shelves. No more TBPs, Marvel Essentials, DC Showcases, DC Archives, Marvel Masterworks, Marvel or DC Omnibuses.

And you know what? I don't miss ANY of it. I was able to remove a desk, a large bookcase, and a small bookcase. My room looks so open now.

I did not give the proceeds to the Sisters of the Poor. I used them to purchase books like Avengers #1 - #16 and X-Men #1 - #16, along with books like Journey into Mystery #112, along with many others.

If you find yourself in my previous situation, I would recommend purging your collection using books that you know you will NEVER read again. It gave me a great deal of satisfaction to get all of that clutter out of my room.

Of course, your mileage may vary!

Love it.  I am all about minimalism

I just can't help but think that while ASM 400 is a perfect point to stop, FF 300 is terrible. The book was awful at that time. While not great and highly personally variable, you've cut the DeFalco/Ryan run, but 400 isn't terribly satisfying as an endpoint either, unless you're happy to leave things with Reed dead, and 400 showing us his funeral. My as well just see volume 1 out to its original endpoint of 416.

What I'm allegedly doing is focusing on Silver Age Marvel books, and a couple of titles in the Golden Age that interest me.  Prior to 2021, I had zero Golden Age books, reasonable runs of lower grade Silver Age books, slightly better Bronze Age books and my collection stopped with some books from the Copper Age (ASM 362), but in my zeal I've picked up a couple of thousand books that are just taking up space.  I've also decided I don't really want my Bronze Age "horror" books with perhaps a few exceptions.  So I'm coming around to your point of view on this, and will use 2022 to try to move most of this "excess" over to people who want it.  How this will happen, how fast it will happen, etc are open questions.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:03 PM, Math Teacher said:

Beginning in May of 2020, I decided to reduce the scope of my collection.

Prior to May, 2020, my collection consisted of:

ASM #1 - #700.5, along with annuals
Fantastic Four #1 - #611, along with annuals
Daredevil #0 - #548, along with annuals
Spectacular Spider-Man #0 - #263, along with annuals
Web of Spider-Man #1 - #129, along with annuals
Flash v2 #0 - #247
Star Trek #1 - #18 (Marvel)
Star Trek v1 #1 - #56 (DC)
Star Trek v2 #1 - #80
Close to 200 TPBs, Showcases, Essentials, Archives, Masterworks, Omnibuses, etc.
Atom #1 - #45
Hawkman #1 - #27
Metal Men #1 - #56

I finally said to myself, "Self, you know darn well that you are NEVER going to read any of these issues. Have you looked at the pile of books that are currently in your 'To Read' pile?"

So, I sold the last piece of my collection yesterday, and now, my collection consists of:

ASM #1 - #400, with Annuals #1 - #5
FF #1 - #300, with Annuals #1 - #6
Daredevil #1 - #200, with Annuals #1 and #4
Atom #1 - #45 (still missing a few issues)
Hawkman #1 - #27 (still missing a few issues)
Metal Men #1 - #56

I can now get my entire collection of comics and Stephen King hardcovers into a single bookcase that I had built back in the early 1980s. I still have my slabs in boxes, as they won't fit on my shelves. No more TBPs, Marvel Essentials, DC Showcases, DC Archives, Marvel Masterworks, Marvel or DC Omnibuses.

And you know what? I don't miss ANY of it. I was able to remove a desk, a large bookcase, and a small bookcase. My room looks so open now.

I did not give the proceeds to the Sisters of the Poor. I used them to purchase books like Avengers #1 - #16 and X-Men #1 - #16, along with books like Journey into Mystery #112, along with many others.

If you find yourself in my previous situation, I would recommend purging your collection using books that you know you will NEVER read again. It gave me a great deal of satisfaction to get all of that clutter out of my room.

Of course, your mileage may vary!

Nice move on ASM #1 - #400, with Annuals #1 - #5

Anything over that is meh

On 12/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 12/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, lizards2 said:

Reduction has always been a goal of mine.

A goal that I have failed miserably at. :sorry: 

CA283473-7803-4A75-BE20-DCB35F219BBF.gif

That was probably your opportunity for the Robert DeNiro one...., :baiting: 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:14 PM, lizards2 said:

That was probably your opportunity for the Robert DeNiro one...., :baiting: 

I’m sitting here at a bar finishing my dinner.  I’m three Blue Point ales in and have to make a decision as to whether I want to bid on auctions on CLink or Comic Connect or do some paperwork.  

Im proud of myself for just being able to get that gif using my phone. 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

I’m sitting here at a bar finishing my dinner.  I’m three Blue Point ales in and have to make a decision as to whether I want to bid on auctions on CLink or Comic Connect or do some paperwork.  

Im proud of myself for just being able to get that gif using my phone. 

More ale

Both auctions

2c (shrug)