• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A sad tale of history lost - Poor packaging - Warning *Graphic Photo"
4 4

42 posts in this topic

It is that time of year again when every true comic collector waits in hope that Santa (or their significant other) will leave them that special package under the tree; inside that package a special comic that will be treasured by the new owner and placed safely into his/her collection.  These are the things that dreams are made of; dreams of that special loved one, that special day, and that specail book.  :cloud9:

Every year I have this dream and occasionally (perhaps if I am fortunate enough to make it onto the "nice" list, due to some clerical error) the dream comes true.

This year, my wife decided she was going to try and make it just such a special year :banana:.  She found a book on eBay that she thought I might like, made an offer to the seller, and purchased the book.  Although she probably overpaid for the book, she was content knowing that I would have that special gift to open on Christmas morning.  All was well in the world.

Then something happen; something almost too terrible to tell; too terrible to even think about.  The seller decided that it was a good idea to place this really nice conditioned book into a thin cardboard envelope (with only a thin backing board on each side for protection).  I cringe to write more, but I cannot leave you without finishing the tale.  The seller then mailed the thin cardboard envelope via first class mail (no insurance).

Now I do not want to poke fun at our USPS, but if what happened to my package was "first class", I would hate to know what is done to anything less than fist class.   Do they just light those packages on fire.  (shrug)

A few days after the seller mailed the envelope it arrived (or at least part of it did).  My wife was horrified and almost in tears as the mailperson handed her what was left of the package (envelope). 

I will say that the seller (who has numerous other comics listed for sale) did refund my wife's money in full and apologized for the incident, so I hold no grudge against him.

I am just saddened that a beautiful piece of American history is now forever lost; lost because of the way it was packaged and lost because of the way it was handled.

May you all have a Merry Christmas and may Santa (or your significant other) manage to find you that perfect book and safely ensure its arrival under the tree!

1986376581_Action247torn.thumb.jpeg.395ae4a11ba1b76f5f4b45fb20e34d59.jpeg

Edited by Hudson

The envelope festooned with mid 90's-era USPS stamps featuring opera singers tells you the seller probably doesn't sell a lot of comic books.

For a comic to somehow navigate 63 years of time in relatively unscathed condition only to meet such a savage, unnecessary end is a shame.

Still, it's the thought that counts, and it was a nice one...

The postal service is just a nightmare when you out a package in the mail.I always think what could happen and in your case Rich it did happen. :cry: When i send books to CGC my stomach does flips until it shows up as received.It looked like a great book until some one was hungry and ate it :smile:

On 12/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, Randall Ries said:

Out of curiosity: Was your wife correct in her choice of book? Is it a book you wanted? My wife would never think to buy me a book she thinks I would like. That's pretty cool of your wife.

Yes.  I would have been very happy with this book (in its condition prior to shipping). 

I agree, it was very cool of my wife to buy this book.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, comicjack said:

The postal service is just a nightmare when you out a package in the mail.I always think what could happen and in your case Rich it did happen. :cry: When i send books to CGC my stomach does flips until it shows up as received.It looked like a great book until some one was hungry and ate it :smile:

I feel the same way, Jack.  No matter how well I package them up, I still cringe and my stomach is in knots as I hand my treasures over to the USPS for transport.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, Hudson said:

I feel the same way, Jack.  No matter how well I package them up, I still cringe and my stomach is in knots as I hand my treasures over to the USPS for transport.

Ditto.  I've had packages arrive at a buyers address only to get pictures showing large holes in the box or mashed corners...and these are flat rate boxes!!!  Good thing I pay for insurance and that my OCD packaging keeps them safe. :facepalm:  So far, no damage to any slabs I've sent.  I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to package 8 slabs and 12 raws...for one buyer!!!  I'm kinda freaking out. :ohnoez: lol