• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn’t CGC recognize 1st appearance…..
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, DainBramaged said:

My problem is fanboy poser label donkeys. Did I not make that clear? (shrug)

Well if you're going to pay for something, you'd want it to be right.

If it's regarded as such, and cgc hasn't labeled a common fact, asking the reasoning of such is not out of the question.

If I regularly post positively and all of a sudden post different, wouldn't a friend ask whats up?

Cgc is our friend and we must love them and cherish them for our very own. (thumbsu

HYPERBOLE! :Rocket:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Personally I dont see anything wrong with wanting to "contribute to the machine"

But like any machine or person who has to make it on their own, expect confrontation.

Its inevitable, even if youd like cgc's word to back you up, all that means to others is they cant take your word for it. Because you need cgc to back you up on a 1st appearance, some will go to the extreme and see that as making you yourself as unreliable in knowledge.

HYPERBOLE!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/14/2021 at 6:14 PM, PovertyRow said:

Agree 100 percent. But to be honest I don't see any of what I would really  consider "board veterans" so far. Maybe less new but...ANYWAY yes. First appearances and the like should be noted. The fact this immediately spun into a financial slant speaks more for where this "hobby" has headed and it is definitely troubling.

Thus spake a true board veteran.

When it's a popular character and no one is paying attention to the character, the collector could already feel left out. I think about lady punisher specifically. That's been hounded by collectors for years for a notation. Cgc doesnt give that kind of feedback,  so you go to their boards as a new person to ask questions.

Asking questions like:

1)how do you get cgc to make notations? Since its rumored they do if you say something to them.

2)Label jockies are going to make more sales because it's on the label? I would think maybe in the past, but in today's market when everything is so readily available, I'd argue that is an "old vantage point!" But it is brought up cause of the history of the subject on the boards.

The OP didnt mention it, but given the boards history, we have to include that line of thinking to correct the pump and dump mentality. No one was pointing fingers or accusatory, they were just over the top lol

Still if cgc doesnt openly explain or make easy the information, one coming to the boards to seek answers would be met with the conversation line of thinking that has happened forever.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

When it's a popular character and no one is paying attention to the character, the collector could already feel left out. I think about lady punisher specifically. That's been hounded by collectors for years for a notation. Cgc doesnt give that kind of feedback,  so you go to their boards as a new person to ask questions.

Asking questions like how do you get cgc to make notations? Since its rumored they do if you say something to them.

Label jockies are going to make more sales because it's on the label? I would think maybe in the past, but in today's market when everything is so readily available, I'd argue that is an "old vantage point!" But it is brought up cause of the history of the subject on the boards.

The OP didnt mention it, but given the boards history, we have to include that line of thinking to correct the pump and dump mentality. No one was pointing fingers or accusatory, they were just over the top lol

Still if cgc doesnt openly explain or make easy the information, one coming to the boards to seek answers would be met with the conversation line of thinking that has happened forever.

???

On 12/14/2021 at 5:29 PM, Brian48 said:

All kidding aside, just send CGC an email with the recommendation and a written justification (reference story lines, special appearances, etc..).  If they deem it valid, it will be considered.  They've done this before in the past.  1st app of Harvey Bullock comes to mind. 

Cool! Sounds like a plan.  I think they will add his 1st appearance to the label.  Thanks.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

???

Whats your question?

I said all that for the sake of those who aren't familiar with usual conversation.

It doesnt mean its right or wrong, just confrontation is inevitable sometimes, and that person seeking results is either going to quit or work harder. It was meant as encouragement if its something they would really like to see happen (a notation), or if they see that as too much work to get a notation and give up asking questions  :shy:

Sorry if I was unclear. Maybe I should just let the conversation go more naturally. 

On 12/14/2021 at 6:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Asking questions like how do you get cgc to make notations? Since its rumored they do if you say something to them.

Label jockies are going to make more sales because it's on the label? I would think maybe in the past, but in today's market when everything is so readily available, I'd argue that is an "old vantage point!" But it is brought up cause of the history of the subject on the boards.

It's just they're not alone in seeking notations, for whatever reasons and it's only been a few exceptions that got it done.

For better or worse unfortunately  :cheers:

On 12/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Whats your question?

I said all that for the sake of those who aren't familiar with usual conversation.

It doesnt mean its right or wrong, just confrontation is inevitable sometimes, and that person seeking results is either going to quit or work harder. It was meant as encouragement if its something they would really like to see happen (a notation), or if they see that as too much work to get a notation and give up asking questions  :shy:

Sorry if I was unclear. Maybe I should just let the conversation go more naturally. 

It's just they're not alone in seeking notations, for whatever reasons and it's only been a few exceptions that got it done.

For better or worse unfortunately  :cheers:

The post was a little more confusing than your usual fare.

Thanks for attempting to clarify.  

I’m still confused, but I appreciate the effort.

:cheers:

On 12/14/2021 at 6:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The post was a little more confusing than your usual fare.

Thanks for attempting to clarify.  

I’m still confused, but I appreciate the effort.

:cheers:

I am tired :wavingwhiteflag: I'll try to simmer down, thanks for letting me know though. I just need a time out  :)

On 12/14/2021 at 7:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just giving ya a hard time :foryou:

I really am exhausted haha.

I figured I'd edit and renumber the questions in the post to clean it up a bit hahaha.

Nothing to see here, carry on :nyah:

On 12/14/2021 at 7:24 PM, Juno Beach said:

Lady Punisher?

Lynn michaels.

1st app, but she was a cop who sympathizes with the punisher after getting the drop on him, pretty cool story :)

123831190159.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 6:14 PM, PovertyRow said:

Agree 100 percent. But to be honest I don't see any of what I would really  consider "board veterans" so far. Maybe less new but...ANYWAY yes. First appearances and the like should be noted. The fact this immediately spun into a financial slant speaks more for where this "hobby" has headed and it is definitely troubling.

Thus spake a true board veteran.

I think a first character appearance in this case should be noted regardless of any "financial slant".  Gunslinger Spawn has his own with the 1st issue having a pretty large print run by today's print runs.  

On 12/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, Ninjawerks said:

Thanks for the perspective and insults. All kidding aside I can see how asking CGC to make a notation could be pandering to a certain crowd.

But it’s not like Gunslinger is a background character. But I get it, maybe CGC has a biased against creator owned properties.

Web of Spider-Man 86 marks the first appearance of Demogoblin (yes a 3rd rate goblin) and has no problem notating his appearance for a character who was relevant in the late 80s. Or even Valiant appearances of obscure characters who’s claim to fame was that their value and relevance were manipulated by Wizard price guide lol. 

But yeah ….I guess notating the 1st appearances of a character who just received their own monthly book which has 385K in orders is just bananas 🍌 

🤣🤣🤣

Yes, if CGC has noted Web of Spider-man #86 then they should note Spawn #119 IMO. 

On 12/14/2021 at 5:07 PM, Ninjawerks said:

But yeah ….I guess notating the 1st appearances of a character who just received their own monthly book which has 385K in orders is just bananas 🍌 

🤣🤣🤣

Well if this is that recent a thing (I am not familiar with the modern books) we do need to give CGC a bit of time to catch up. Maybe start letting them know about this now.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:36 PM, musicmeta said:

I think a first character appearance in this case should be noted regardless of any "financial slant".  Gunslinger Spawn has his own with the 1st issue having a pretty large print run by today's print runs.  

I agree. My "financial slant" was a comment on how some responders immediately brought it there.