• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 222 the next Batman 227?
2 2

78 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, chrisco37 said:

I like 221 the best as well.  This was always my favorite Adams Batman cover.

Well, 222 isn't my favorite Bat cover by a long shot either. Also, I strongly disagree with the Beatles losing their edge. Or Elvis Presley. Those guys are still as popular as they ever were. They are pioneers.

No, this cover will be highly sought after. It already IS.

Elvis and The Beatles will always be important, but they're close to losing relevance, as the generations that grew up with them are aging out and well, passing on, and there aren't enough interested young people to make up the numbers and keep the prices inflated and rising. Some of their stuff will hold its value, but the tchochtkes (sp?) and plastic pieces rolled out by the tens of thousands will lose their value, and the pieces with real value will be the Beatle-owned pieces, their autographs, instruments, etc. 

The rest is going to end up in junk antique shops. 

On 12/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Elvis and The Beatles will always be important, but they're close to losing relevance, as the generations that grew up with them are aging out and well, passing on, and there aren't enough interested young people to make up the numbers and keep the prices inflated and rising. Some of their stuff will hold its value, but the tchochtkes (sp?) and plastic pieces rolled out by the tens of thousands will lose their value, and the pieces with real value will be the Beatle-owned pieces, their autographs, instruments, etc. 

I imagine this is the case so +1

But then you see shows like pawn stars or antique roadshow or etc and there are collectables associated with elvis or the Beatles, collectables that are fetching big bucks!

They're not necessarily old shows, and the show doesnt say it's still a niche like they would comics lol

Yet I dont know any elvis nor Beatles collectors. Must hang out in different crowds lol

On 12/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I disagree, Peter. Already, the EPE empire is taking the bull by the balls and instead of pushing shlocky merchandise are revamping their approach. And well they should. No way they are letting that cash cow go without a fight.

Same with The Beatles. Too much money to let go by. Billie Eyelash is a flash-in-the-pan.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, Randall Ries said:

I disagree, Peter. Already, the EPE empire is taking the bull by the balls and instead of pushing shlocky merchandise are revamping their approach. And well they should. No way they are letting that cash cow go without a fight.

Same with The Beatles. Too much money to let go by. Billie Eyelash is a flash-in-the-pan.

Thanks, but I'm Craig, not Peter, unless that was something that went over my head. It's good that the companies are changing, to me that indicates they realise what I posted, so there was some truth to it. Although funnily, and swear to god, just 2 days ago I was in a toy shop and noted they had a chintzy looking Elvis car (I guess from a film he was in, I don't know, he was way before my time) with a miniature Elvis toy included. So some habits may die hard. But you're right, it is too much money for them to just let go without a fight. 

As for Billie Eilish, I couldn't tell you much about her either. I liked a couple of her tracks, but she's really not my style. I don't think it's fair to call her a flash in the pan, but she's definitely not someone whose reached icon status, either. Time will tell, I guess. 

On 12/15/2021 at 11:53 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Thanks, but I'm Craig, not Peter, unless that was something that went over my head. It's good that the companies are changing, to me that indicates they realise what I posted, so there was some truth to it. Although funnily, and swear to god, just 2 days ago I was in a toy shop and noted they had a chintzy looking Elvis car (I guess from a film he was in, I don't know, he was way before my time) with a miniature Elvis toy included. So some habits may die hard. But you're right, it is too much money for them to just let go without a fight. 

As for Billie Eilish, I couldn't tell you much about her either. I liked a couple of her tracks, but she's really not my style. I don't think it's fair to call her a flash in the pan, but she's definitely not someone whose reached icon status, either. Time will tell, I guess. 

The host of Hollywood Squares in the 1970's was Peter Marshall. After the celebrity answered a question, the contestant would be asked whether they agreed or disagreed. Typically they would say either "I agree, Peter" or "I disagree, Peter." So, I throw that out there even in real life to see how far out my disconnect from today's pop society is. I met a young lady (32 YO) named Desirée. I said "Ah! Like the Neil Diamond song!" I got: "Who's Neil Diamond?" Urk. I get not being a fan but wow. Then I look up and down Billboards Top 100 and I don't recognize way over half the people on there. Not that Billboard features much of anything that isn't fluff.

What you mention about toys and merchandising at large is correct. EPE realized that old fans resent the junk and newer fans respond better to the historical approach. Which is great. Merchandising has its place, of course but they discovered they were patronizing the fan base by relying too heavily on trinkets and doo-dads. Today's fan base is a little more discerning than 14 year old 1956 teenagers. Thank God. Elvis Presley's impact on the direction of music and pop culture at large must not be underestimated. I think they still earn $60-$70 million per year. Not bad for a guy who died over 40 years ago. And that's after a $30 million slump in sales in year ending 2017 - pre COVID -  which prompted them to re-think the strategy.

I have long felt Graceland should be a museum and that merchandising TOO much is really tacky and cheap. But they have bills and people to pay, too. Too much merchandising is disrespectful and the fans sense it. I doubt it helps draw new fans in as well. When we think about all that he did in just a little over 20 years, it is astounding.

I enjoyed the Grateful Dead a lot more than I do now because of the merchandising. They would slap a Stealie on a gas chamber if they thought they could make money from it. It's tacky and a swindle AFAIC. It's too much. I just saw a Grateful Dead "Bertha" bathrobe the other day, encouraging me to buy and wear it while I listen to my favorite "jam". Like Hell I will.

Billie Eilish is just another one to come along to appeal to teenagers and their angst. Someone for them to hang all their worries and depression on. I mean, come on. Smile, Billie Eilish. You struck pay dirt for no really good reason. Now you can show your base that life doesn't need to be 24/7 Eeyore Syndrome.

Edited by Randall Ries

On 12/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, Randall Ries said:

The host of Hollywood Squares in the 1970's was Peter Marshall. After the celebrity answered a question, the contestant would be asked whether they agreed or disagreed. Typically they would say either "I agree, Peter" or "I disagree, Peter." So, I throw that out there even in real life to see how far out my disconnect from today's pop society is. I met a young lady (32 YO) named Desirée. I said "Ah! Like the Neil Diamond song!" I got: "Who's Neil Diamond?" Urk. I get not being a fan but wow. Then I look up and down Billboards Top 100 and I don't recognize way over half the people on there. Not that Billboard features much of anything that isn't fluff.

What you mention about toys and merchandising at large is correct. EPE realized that old fans resent the junk and newer fans respond better to the historical approach. Which is great. Merchandising has its place, of course but they discovered they were patronizing the fan base by relying too heavily on trinkets and doo-dads. Today's fan base is a little more discerning than 14 year old 1956 teenagers. Thank God. Elvis Presley's impact on the direction of music and pop culture at large must not be underestimated. I think they still earn $60-$70 million per year. Not bad for a guy who died over 40 years ago. And that's after a $30 million slump in sales in year ending 2017 - pre COVID -  which prompted them to re-think the strategy.

I have long felt Graceland should be a museum and that merchandising TOO much is really tacky and cheap. But they have bills and people to pay, too. Too much merchandising is disrespectful and the fans sense it. I doubt it helps draw new fans in as well. When we think about all that he did in just a little over 20 years, it is astounding.

I enjoyed the Grateful Dead a lot more than I do now because of the merchandising. They would slap a Stealie on a gas chamber if they thought they could make money from it. It's tacky and a swindle AFAIC. It's too much. I just saw a Grateful Dead "Bertha" bathrobe the other day, encouraging me to buy and wear it while I listen to my favorite "jam". Like Hell I will.

Billie Eilish is just another one to come along to appeal to teenagers and their angst. Someone for them to hang all their worries and depression on. I mean, come on. Smile, Billie Eilish. You struck pay dirt for no really good reason. Now you can show your base that life doesn't need to be 24/7 Eeyore Syndrome.

Right. I had no chance at the first thing. :wavingwhiteflag:as for the second, well, someone need to tell them to contact this small retailer I was at, and rescue that chintzy car, and destroy it in Elvis' good name. Tell them it's not worth the peanut butter, or the bacon. 

I like Eilish style, and her gimmick? Well I'm not a 15 y/o girl, who'd probably be a better judge on those aspects of her act than me. I also don't think she's getting teen girls to act abnormally. She's just bringing them together. 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:04 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Right. I had no chance at the first thing. :wavingwhiteflag:as for the second, well, someone need to tell them to contact this small retailer I was at, and rescue that chintzy car, and destroy it in Elvis' good name. Tell them it's not worth the peanut butter, or the bacon. 

I like Eilish style, and her gimmick? Well I'm not a 15 y/o girl, who'd probably be a better judge on those aspects of her act than me. I also don't think she's getting teen girls to act abnormally. She's just bringing them together. 

NO I don't believe she is getting them to act abnormally, either. She's like a lighthouse or something like that. Most teen idols are.

There is a terrible amount of schlocky merchandising items out there. A lot of people are like magpies. If it's shiny it's theirs. I prefer the real collectibles marketplace. Get stuff that's actually worth something plus has a cool history. Most of the latter day stuff will never be worth much. If anything.