• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 222 the next Batman 227?
2 2

78 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Beatles have always been overrated.

And The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin as well. The Beatles at least came up with some pretty neat studio techniques. But for the most part, I have no idea what they are even singing about. Butter pie? The butter won't melt so put it in the pie. You got it!

On 12/15/2021 at 11:52 PM, Mercury Man said:

I just grabbed this in 4k. Plan to watch it. One guy I know was bent out of shape because there wasn't much more to the Rooftop Concert than he had previously seen. Well, no. Just with remastered sound and in 4k and Peter Jackson did the doc.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:21 PM, Randall Ries said:

I just grabbed this in 4k. Plan to watch it. One guy I know was bent out of shape because there wasn't much more to the Rooftop Concert than he had previously seen. Well, no. Just with remastered sound and in 4k and Peter Jackson did the doc.

I've been watching Get Back and it's fascinating, if a bit draining overall. Lots of cool/interesting little bits. And I'm aware of dozens of friends and colleagues (average age much closer to 50 than 70) who have watched/are watching as well. I'd still bet on The Beatles to have some staying power.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:37 PM, Point Five said:

I've been watching Get Back and it's fascinating, if a bit draining overall. Lots of cool/interesting little bits. And I'm aware of dozens of friends and colleagues (average age much closer to 50 than 70) who have watched/are watching as well. I'd still bet on The Beatles to have some staying power.

Yes. They will. It wouldn't surprise me that once they are all gone all their kids will get together and tour. Maybe not Stella McCartney.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, Randall Ries said:

And The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin as well. The Beatles at least came up with some pretty neat studio techniques. But for the most part, I have no idea what they are even singing about. Butter pie? The butter won't melt so put it in the pie. You got it!

Zep is not overrated.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Zep is not overrated.

I can split the difference and say that as a person who has owned over 200 live Zep recordings, they are way overrated. However, their finished studio projects smoke. I don't deny their impact on pop culture.

My friends were all goofy over that band but when I was playing Mahavishnu Orchestra or Gong, suddenly they were deaf. John McLaughlin or Steve Hillage could smoke Jimmy Page off the planet.

I used to ask my Deadhead friends why the Grateful Dead passed on playing with Hendrix as a guest. I think it's the same reason they hid under a table at Altamont and refused to go on. My friends cited "Hendrix had to catch a plane, ma-a-a-an!" Riiiight. That's why the GD showed up late for that show. Make sure Hendrix got on the plane. LOL!

Same thing with Dickey Betts. I'd kinda grin when we would listen to the one or two times Betts and Garcia played together. Then I'd say something to the effect "Betts is better than Garcia. That much is clear. He's eating his lunch!" The response was always "Yeah, well, ma-a-a-a-an. That's just your opinion! They have different styles!"

So, you know. I would just say "Oh, yes. Of COURSE." Then just keep smiling. Oh well. We were friends and cranked on each other at every given opportunity.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, Randall Ries said:

I can split the difference and say that as a person who has owned over 200 live Zep recordings, they are way overrated. However, their finished studio projects smoke. I don't deny their impact on pop culture.

My friends were all goofy over that band but when I was playing Mahavishnu Orchestra or Gong, suddenly they were deaf. John McLaughlin or Steve Hillage could smoke Jimmy Page off the planet.

I used to ask my Deadhead friends why the Grateful Dead passed on playing with Hendrix as a guest. I think it's the same reason they hid under a table at Altamont and refused to go on. My friends cited "Hendrix had to catch a plane, ma-a-a-an!" Riiiight. That's why the GD showed up late for that show. Make sure Hendrix got on the plane. LOL!

Same thing with Dickey Betts. I'd kinda grin when we would listen to the one or two times Betts and Garcia played together. Then I'd say something to the effect "Betts is better than Garcia. That much is clear. He's eating his lunch!" The response was always "Yeah, well, ma-a-a-a-an. That's just your opinion! They have different styles!"

So, you know. I would just say "Oh, yes. Of COURSE." Then just keep smiling. Oh well. We were friends and cranked on each other at every given opportunity.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

I teach high school and kids still know and listen and have a Beatles section or a few songs they listen to on their playlists (I enjoy hearing what music they like and usually ask as an icebreaker question to start the year) so I think we are still a loooooong ways from them going anywhere.

However having their music and listening to it is very different from collecting their memorabilia. I really enjoy the Beatles and get in a Beatles kick once a year usually where I play through my favs. But I have zero desire to collect stuff related to them. That avenue may (already is?) be dying off in which case a book like Batman 222 might also lose steam rather than gain.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 12/14/2021 at 4:56 AM, Randall Ries said:

This one is getting hard to find. I waited for 3 years before finding one that didn't have the bottom staple detached, was miswrapped or had Goober Grape all over the front cover. They are expensive pro graded even in lower grade. High grade examples are really rare to see for sale.

absolutely.  had one as a kid-would really like one now.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:44 AM, Randall Ries said:

@oakman29

I've always wanted to get that issue signature series'd with Paul Mccartney's autograph. As for my opinion on the Beatles, Elvis's popularity was already beginning to wane when the Beatles came along. And the Beatles still have a more active fan base than Elvis. As a younger person I can say there are definitely people my age that listen to the Beatles, and even more who appreciate his music. I can't say the same about Elvis. Hey Jude? Let it Be? Day Tripper? Here comes the Sun? A ton of people know all these classics.

I've actually done a few experiments with young people on The Beatles.  At a company holiday party, I was chatting with four of our younger staffers and I asked them if they could name a Beatle.  Not one of them could. I then asked them if they could name a single Beatle song... only one young mom was able to identify "Yellow Submarine"... interestingly a kids song... that's it.  Have to admit, as a 58 year old Beatle fan, I was left scratching my head.  Sometime later at another after hours gathering I had some of these same people together and the subject came up again and we started going down the youtube rabbit hole of playing Beatle songs.  I asked them a very simple question before I played the songs... "tell me if you know this song".  This went on for about an hour and at the end of it they were able to identify 80 SONGS... which is probably more songs than they could identify from any single artist from any era!  So it wasn't that they didn't know the songs... it's that they didn't realize that it was the Beatles that had done them!  And that frankly is their legacy... the Beatles are still pervasive and likely always will be... they were a once in a lifetime supernova (they were only around for 6-7 years) that didn't invent popular music, but showed the generations that followed what it was capable of. (thumbsu 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:54 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I've actually done a few experiments with young people on The Beatles.  At a company holiday party, I was chatting with four of our younger staffers and I asked them if they could name a Beatle.  Not one of them could. I then asked them if they could name a single Beatle song... only one young mom was able to identify "Yellow Submarine"... interestingly a kids song... that's it.  Have to admit, as a 58 year old Beatle fan, I was left scratching my head.  Sometime later at another after hours gathering I had some of these same people together and the subject came up again and we started going down the youtube rabbit hole of playing Beatle songs.  I asked them a very simple question before I played the songs... "tell me if you know this song".  This went on for about an hour and at the end of it they were able to identify 80 SONGS... which is probably more songs than they could identify from any single artist from any era!  So it wasn't that they didn't know the songs... it's that they didn't realize that it was the Beatles that had done them!  And that frankly is their legacy... the Beatles are still pervasive and likely always will be... they were a once in a lifetime supernova (they were only around for 6-7 years) that didn't invent popular music, but showed the generations that followed what it was capable of. (thumbsu 

I had that experience when I was like, 14.  I had heard of "The Beetles", but only as this very famous band that didn't exist anymore.  Then literally over the course of one day I figured out that all these songs I had listened to my whole life and loved were Beetles songs.  I was a fan and didn't even know it.  

I could be kind of clueless about stuff that way.  As a child I never made the connection between ice-cream and the ice cream headaches.  And it's embarrassing how long I went before I actually understood what heartburn was.