• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keys in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run ???
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, NoMan said:

Putting together Moore's run On SW. Got #21 and #37. Should I be expecting to pay out the a@# for other issues?

Thanks.

Hey bud, the 3 vol. TPB version of the 'saga' is only a few items down my reading list, should get to it by Christmas. Be happy to send you them if you come up short on your compilation.  Plus, the TPBs include #20, which as you'll see from the Intro (by Wein) to vol. 1 of the set.

IMG_0526.thumb.JPG.2ce5a631427ab89b2c4010fa244d2604.JPG

IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.a58c4fb372dc1c1e3bd0afec285a2ef3.JPG

On 12/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, grebal said:

oops, here is the rest:

IMG_0533.thumb.JPG.5aba1270ca753278e889351f52192032.JPG

That's very kind of you, sir. I also have the 3 TPB collection of the Moore saga but I also like to have the original floppy comics to leaf thru.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, NoMan said:

Putting together Moore's run On SW. Got #21 and #37. Should I be expecting to pay out the a@# for other issues?

Thanks.

Not really. Maybe issue 20.

On 12/15/2021 at 1:20 PM, OtherEric said:

I know 50 got a bump for a while as first Justice League Dark, but no clue if that's still true.

Right. NoMan, beware of lying scumbags who will ask far too much for 25, 49, 50 and (now, apparently :facepalm:) Annual 2 under false pretenses.

You shouldn't have to pay through the nose for any of them. I wish you'd posted sooner, I just sold an 80 issue lot to the LCS for $150.... most of the "keys" were gone, but there aren't really any bad issues. There was a 46 and 25 (with Totleben autograph) but I kept those... and a 64 (last Moore issue). The shop had them less than a week... lot of Swamp lovers out there. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, Lazyboy said:

Not really. Maybe issue 20.

Right. NoMan, beware of lying scumbags who will ask far too much for 25, 49, 50 and (now, apparently :facepalm:) Annual 2 under false pretenses.

Thank you. What are the false pretenses? 

On 12/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, jimjum12 said:

You shouldn't have to pay through the nose for any of them. I wish you'd posted sooner, I just sold an 80 issue lot to the LCS for $150.... most of the "keys" were gone, but there aren't really any bad issues. There was a 46 and 25 (with Totleben autograph) but I kept those... and a 64 (last Moore issue). The shop had them less than a week... lot of Swamp lovers out there. GOD BLESS... 

Thank you regardless

On 12/15/2021 at 2:20 PM, OtherEric said:

I know 50 got a bump for a while as first Justice League Dark, but no clue if that's still true.

I consider it a key.  Except for few outliers like #37, DC's never remain hot (really lukewarm its DC after all) for very long which is why I consider going rate less important when determining a DC key.  #50 fits the bill to me as a Moore Swamp Thing key.

Book now sits on eBay at $225 with a make offer. My guess is if up for real auction  it likley would only get $160-$175 at most.  As the bubble bursts the first thing to drop are Modern non-Marvel books then mid-grade Marvel with high census pop's - outliers of course not withstanding.

BTW it is a stretch to say it's 1st Justice League Dark but if it elevates a great DC book from ice cold to cold or a bit higher I'm good with that :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, shadroch said:

The issue that has the Hellblazer preview sells well, at a small premium to the rest.  I know it's in the mid-60s but forget the exact issue. I get more for the issues with the JLA, so I guess I'm just another lying scumbag.

That makes two of us... I guess I'm in good company. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

My copy of ST Annual 2 isn't for sale... probably my favorite after 21

#53 in my opinion is a key. Batman appearance, Great dialog and story of which the shocking conclusion sets up the remainder of Moore's historic run on the title. Of course those who look solely at current dollars a book commands likley won't agree, but I'm true fan of Moore's run and collector not a dealer, seller, flipper or speculator.

46.jpg

Batman, Chester, Abby and Jim Gordon splash not a bunch you'd ever expect to see together on the same page. Only a writer like Moore or Gaiman (as he did with DC Supers when they appeared in Sandman) could make it all work without seeming absurd.

47.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, shadroch said:

The issue that has the Hellblazer preview sells well, at a small premium to the rest.  I know it's in the mid-60s but forget the exact issue.

That's not part of Moore's run.

On 12/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, shadroch said:

I get more for the issues with the JLA, so I guess I'm just another lying scumbag.

Are you claiming those issues have any connection to the Justice League Dark in your offering? If so, you are just another a lying scumbag.