• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading a comic with a factory error.

4 posts in this topic

ASM 238 - it's in perfect, 9.8 range condition but has one flaw that was obviously created during production. The upper left corner, sorry for the poor image, has been clipped all the way through the book. The cut is perfect, nothing is frayed or anything like that. It's the perfection of the clip/cut that makes me believe it was done during production at the factory. My question is - is there leniency regarding this sort of thing in CGC grading? The book is perfection otherwise. I'm curious how CGC handles things of this sort when grading. Cheers!

SPIDEY 238.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, The Lions Den said:

A close-up picture with the book taken out of the bag would help...  (thumbsu

Yeah - I know - I'm at work doe and this is a shot I just happened to have on my PC. I'd update a better one when I get home - except this book, along with 19 others, is sitting - hopefully safely - in a box somewhere at CGC. The clip is quite small, but it's still an imperfection. When I dropped it off with my cleaner his comment was, "yeah - but I think this was done during production," leading me to believe there may be a difference in that and damage done after it was produced. Sorry the image kinda screws the question up, but again - it's small and it's a perfect cut, but that said - it is no longer a squared off corner. Cheers!

I’ve had a book come back a 9.8 and it had a production flaw on the cover. I didn’t know that it was when I sent it in (sort of like a small raised bump) but suspected it as I couldn’t see how it was caused by anything other than when it was printed.

However I also know that the value of the book wouldn’t be the same as others in a 9.8, as we know they aren’t all equal when I comes to eye appeal. Just something to bear in mind.