• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grader Notes for Comics Now Available with All Paid Memberships
3 3

77 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, Ares said:

I may do this as well. 

What else does the $25 get you other than notes?

You don't get much else, I won't actually submit books directly to CGC with this account as I prefer to go through a LCS and get their discount (and save on shipping since doing it myself costs $90us to ship even one book back to me)

On 12/17/2021 at 1:26 PM, Sauce Dog said:

You don't get much else, I won't actually submit books directly to CGC with this account as I prefer to go through a LCS and get their discount (and save on shipping since doing it myself costs $90us to ship even one book back to me)

Same here. I go through a local guy. He sent down 19 books for me and 9 moderns came back superfast. 

One was so low I am tempted to buy the 25 to see why

On 12/17/2021 at 6:39 PM, MGsimba77 said:

While we're on the subject of grading....I don't know if this is already the case but If there's one defect that should always be recorded in notes it would have to be rusted staples. I don't know of any other defects that could potentially cause further harm in the slab? 

Depending on movement I would imagine a blown staple can cause long term issues, I can see one of my books that has a cover detached from one staple shift and move away from the book at times which makes me think it is putting irregular stress on the remaining connection. This is something that isn't always noted on the label but will be in the graders notes (I have one book that has no notes on the label itself, but the graders notes says 'Cover detached at one staple' which is a detail I think should always be included on the actual labels)

Edited by Sauce Dog

I’m probably still not renewing my paid membership. They raised the prices of their services and subsequently lowered their discount for upper tier memberships (and dealers). 
Combine that with the slow TATs and QC issues, it’s not worth it to me at this point 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:39 PM, MGsimba77 said:

While we're on the subject of grading....I don't know if this is already the case but If there's one defect that should always be recorded in notes it would have to be rusted staples. I don't know of any other defects that could potentially cause further harm in the slab? 

I purchased a 9.0 way back when you had to call for grader notes. It had rusty staples, and I was concerned about if that occured pre or post grading. I was told they would never make note of that defect in such a "low grade" book.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, CGC Mike said:

Posted on 12/16/2021

As a FREE service to all paid members, Grader Notes can be accessed through the Verify CGC Certification tool.

Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) is updating its policy regarding Grader Notes for comic books. Starting December 16, Grader Notes for comics (when available) will be provided as a free service to all CGC paid members and Authorized Dealers. Grader Notes will no longer be offered for sale individually.

In addition to full submission privileges, there are many great benefits to being a paid CGC member, and now access to all available Grader Notes for comic books is one of them. Previously, paid CGC members received complimentary Grader Notes only for their own comic book submissions. With this update, whenever a comic book has Grader Notes, paid members will be able to view them for free.

CGC Grader Notes are a valuable part of the grading process that provide more information about CGC-certified comic books. When CGC graders examine a book, they may enter comments about its condition that describe problems, indicate the quality of interior pages and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did.

Some examples of CGC Grader Notes include:

• Right Center Front Cover Lite Fingerprints
  • Left Center Back Cover Moderate Erasure Mark
  • Top Spine Water Damage
  • Staple Rusted w/Rust Stained Interior
  • Interior Heavy Tanning

For more information about CGC Grader Notes, click here.

How to access CGC Grader Notes

Log in to your paid CGC account and go to the free Verify CGC Certification tool. Enter the CGC certification number for the comic that you would like to look up. If Grader Notes are available, they will be viewable here.

If you are not logged in to your account or you are not a paid CGC member, you will see a button if a book has Grader Notes, which will prompt you to sign in to your account or join CGC.

Join CGC today!

Now is a great time to join CGC as a paid member. Not only are free Grader Notes available for paid memberships, you get full submission privileges, 10% off at the CCG Store and a free CGC Shipping Kit Voucher if you are a new member. Also, the CGC Online Submission Form has been upgraded to make submitting collectibles faster and easier, and there’s much more to come as CGC continues to optimize and expand its services!

Memberships start at just $25/year. Join now >

:whee:

On 12/18/2021 at 10:27 AM, lizards2 said:

I purchased a 9.0 way back when you had to call for grader notes. It had rusty staples, and I was concerned about if that occured pre or post grading. I was told they would never make note of that defect in such a "low grade" book.

I remember when they would tell you what each of the three graders gave the book... for example, you could have an 8.5 that actually received two 8.5's and one 9.0 .... those were usually nice books. They had a customer service rep giving the notes over the phone, it had to be a significant expense for CGC. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/18/2021 at 10:55 AM, jimjum12 said:

I remember when they would tell you what each of the three graders gave the book... for example, you could have an 8.5 that actually received two 8.5's and one 9.0 .... those were usually nice books. They had a customer service rep giving the notes over the phone, it had to be a significant expense for CGC. GOD BLESS...

Yes Jimbo, it was a significant expense and a *fiasco* for the graders...

On 12/18/2021 at 10:27 AM, lizards2 said:

Yeah that answer was definitely bizarre. If the rust is severe enough to possibly spread over time, the grade wouldn't matter. Though if the rust is that bad I would doubt it grades 9.0

So back in the early days they would give out notes over the phone without charge? I'm guessing this was ~early 2000s?

Anyhow, this move is very reasonable and long overdue. If you had the 25$ membership there was not much in it other than submission privileges and I think a small grading discount. 

On 12/18/2021 at 7:55 AM, jimjum12 said:

That was a very weird way to do things, I can recall calling for grading notes on several books and the graders asking me where I got them, etc.....Good to know they were appreciative but still a strange experience back then.  

It would be beneficial on some books to know the full scale from all the graders, and your 8.5 example is very suiting , I can't tell you how many VF+'s I have had regraded as 9.2's on straight resubs.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:07 PM, UncleBEN said:

That was a very weird way to do things, I can recall calling for grading notes on several books and the graders asking me where I got them, etc.....Good to know they were appreciative but still a strange experience back then.  

It would be beneficial on some books to know the full scale from all the graders, and your 8.5 example is very suiting , I can't tell you how many VF+'s I have had regraded as 9.2's on straight resubs.

Borock told me once that one thing he wished he'd done differently was to have an intermediate grade between 8.5 and 9.0 ... he said it was too big a gap at that level. There was a time when a CGC 8.5 was the best bargain in comics. GOD BLESS... 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:39 PM, MGsimba77 said:

You should note that "rusty staples" have very negative connotations for a comic book and hence tends to drive down the price quite a bit.  (tsk)

Like the positive term "maximization of potential" is being used for the negative sounding "pressing", the term "wear staple" is now being used in place of the nasty sounding "rusty staple".  :devil:  lol