• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[PIC ADDED] Someone Just Scored the Rarest SOTI Book of All (Plus Original Art)!

4 posts in this topic

Congratulations to whoever just won the auction for some of the original art from, and a copy of, the "one good comic book" ever published according to Dr. Wertham - The Nightingale.  Well worth the $4,750.  

There are only three copies now in private hands.  

This fresh to the market copy is beat-up. While it has a cover and it is a very worthy addition to any collection given its extreme rarity, there is brittle paper loss in one corner, fortunately not impacting interior images, but rounding out that corner significantly, as well as numerous other flaws.  My guess, probably around a CGC 1.0 brittle-cream.  HOWEVER, if you don't have one of these you can never own a complete collection of all comics mentioned in SOTI.  And it presents well enough.  Moreover, whoever won this lot now has the book and four pages of original art (two in color and two in b&w - as they were published), what I think was a preliminary for an unused back cover, an unused b&w version of the two color pages of OA, and four stats.  The color art is quite attractive by a significant fine artist - Dong Kingman.

Quite a haul.  I am positive the underbidders are disappointed.

Again, congrats!  

Edited by sfcityduck

Sounds cool. Got a link to the auction you're describing?

Also, it's been a long time since I've read SOTI, but wasn't Kewpies #1 singled out as a rare example of a good comic? Or am I conflating memories?