• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC deal with test printing prototype variants?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

To the best of my limited knowledge, some comic companies print a few test issues prior to final editing. These issues typically are destroyed, but sometimes a few have leaked out.  I think the Spawn #285 pictured is an example of this.  I have also seen a thread about a TMNT book existing. Has anybody ever submitted a "test printing" or "prototype" book to CGC. If so, how do they go about verifying what it is?  What designation do they put on the CGC label?

Thoughts?

Answers?

1453752149_w086 (1).jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 11:15 PM, Comicsarefun said:

Those are awesome!  Were you the original submitter? Do you know the process that CGC took to identify the books? 

Not entirely. I had bought the red as is, and had the blue signed in 2016

I made sure the facilitator understood what they were, wizard test prints, limited to 10 copies of each colour and they made the notation on the submission forms

Any further verification doesnt happen as far as I know

An example of this was someone submitted a regular copy of this issue but noted it as a "silver" variant. CGC noted it as such, without further explanation, which of course, it isnt. Ive tried to bring attention to the matter to no avail

On 12/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, Comicsarefun said:

To the best of my limited knowledge, some comic companies print a few test issues prior to final editing. These issues typically are destroyed, but sometimes a few have leaked out.  I think the Spawn #285 pictured is an example of this.  I have also seen a thread about a TMNT book existing. Has anybody ever submitted a "test printing" or "prototype" book to CGC. If so, how do they go about verifying what it is?  What designation do they put on the CGC label?

Thoughts?

Answers?

1453752149_w086 (1).jpg

@jsilverjanet @kimik

@followtheleader

Edited by The Meta

On 12/17/2021 at 2:36 AM, The Meta said:

That's pretty sweet.  1st time I've seen it. 

Initially, I recalled a standard variant in all white. 

But it looks like there were only variants with half in white. 

Patrick

On 12/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, followtheleader said:

That's pretty sweet.  1st time I've seen it. 

Initially, I recalled a standard variant in all white. 

But it looks like there were only variants with half in white. 

Patrick

Im not well versed with Spawn, need some experts lol

This doesnt feel like a test print to me, more like a variant like you said

I do have the regular edition of this one, and there are two variants I think. Never seen this one either. I'm wondering if it was a promotional for McFarlane store

On 12/17/2021 at 9:18 PM, The Meta said:

Im not well versed with Spawn, need some experts lol

This doesnt feel like a test print to me, more like a variant like you said

I do have the regular edition of this one, and there are two variants I think. Never seen this one either. I'm wondering if it was a promotional for McFarlane store

I'll look at my collection on Sunday. 

There are 4 standard variant covers I know of: Full cover (2 half faces), a virgin of the full cover, a cover with half white on the left, and a cover with half white on the right. 

Looks like there were 2 Convention covers (from MegaCon: standard variant and 1 virgin). 

Maybe a Mexican variant?  

Patrick

On 12/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, followtheleader said:

I'll look at my collection on Sunday. 

There are 4 standard variant covers I know of: Full cover (2 half faces), a virgin of the full cover, a cover with half white on the left, and a cover with half white on the right. 

Looks like there were 2 Convention covers (from MegaCon: standard variant and 1 virgin). 

Maybe a Mexican variant?  

Patrick

No idea, but thanks for the insight.

Hopefully kimik has something to add

On 12/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, Comicsarefun said:

Thoughts?

Answers?

1453752149_w086 (1).jpg

This Spawn book isn't a test print. This is the Employee Edition variant cover. They were produced solely to be given to friends & employees, never for sale.

http://spawnworld.com/books/ongoing/ongoing285v07.htm

Edited by Lobstrosity
added link

On 12/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, Lobstrosity said:

This Spawn book isn't a test print. This is the Employee Edition variant cover. They were produced solely to be given to friends & employees, never for sale.

http://spawnworld.com/books/ongoing/ongoing285v07.htm

So @Comicsarefun if you grade, you want to make sure to make the notation this is the Employee variant