• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used the new submission form?
4 4

62 posts in this topic

having the cover of the comic popup would be awesome!  but Im assuming that it couldn't be universal, that there'd be missing covers. But all the major publishers covers ought to be doable partnering with one or more online databases... 

• Administrator

Updates made for some of the problems reported:

• We added logic to the typeahead to list titles alphabetically after you enter your search terms.
  • If you use the # symbol in front of your issue number in the typeahead, it will understand that it is the issue number specifically. Before, if you entered just the number 6, it pulled results where 6 appeared anywhere in the description.
  • Fixed check total problem (haven't tested this one myself yet to confirm the problem has been resolved)
  • Fixed shipping method on legacy order packing slips. Customer selected one shipping method but packing slip showed a different method. The shipping method was correct in our database it was just wrong on the packing slip and that has been corrected.

We are continuing to work on other issues reported and doing further work to improve the typeahead. Thanks for your feedback and patience so far.

• Administrator
On 12/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, iae21 said:

Thanks @dena, please let me know.   You can reach out to me separately, I have at least 10 or so submissions in the past year where I was able to select different Pre-Screens per book to a large order.   I can provide you that support to prove that it worked that way previously.  

I haven't forgotten you. Still working on an answer for you. I can see your history so no need to provide anything.

---I did a 24 book order with old system around 12-12 and a 25 book order with new system around 12-19...took me about an hour in each case..had to do more clicking with the old and more typing with the new..I hated the old system and always clicking for tier and  declining custom holders...with new system, made one click for the tier and was never bugged for custom holders...however, I found the title search in the new to be useless and resorted to typing and copy and paste...in so doing, I always had to type the date as it would never pop up (it did on the old system)..for the publisher, marvel would show to be clicked, but dc and atlas always had to be typed...the check amount was 3 or 4 times the order total, but I always use a card so I ignored it...did not have any real hang-ups or page freezes in either case...

So just did a submission of 136 books. I was rather dreading it but I have to say it was a great deal easier than my first few submissions a week ago.  It is much more likely to bring up the book I am looking to submit. Sometimes it was in fact quicker than the old system

For books with a lot of potential matches, I still find it easier to input the title and then publication date. Those freaking moderns and all their reboots and variant covers easily overwhelm the "first 50" results displayed. 

I had my first encounter with needing to input a book not in the database and found a problem. There does not appear to be a way to input a new comic with ONLY a year for publication.  The system insists on month/year.  The comic book I was adding only listed a year of publication in the indicia (Cannibal Romances #1 - 1986. Last Gasp) A fair number of books have been published that only list a year for the publication date. So unless I was doing something wrong, this should be added to the things needed tweaked. 

On 1/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, Aman619 said:

What about pub dates like Summer 1940 etc?

If the book is already in the database all is good. If adding a book not in the database, I see no way to select or enter anything other than month and year. 

New glitch.  Just did a submission and USPS registered mail was NOT AVAILABLE for selection. Called customer service and they looked at pending submission and could not see any cause for such. A return address that had been used before for return shipping by CGC with USPS Reg mail

The work around per customer service is select FedEX ground, then in BIG RED LETTERS wrote on the submission form to change return shipping to USPS Reg Mail and charge the difference in price. 

Probably customer service rep has notified someone of this glitch. But I thought I would post it here as well. 

On 12/22/2021 at 3:54 PM, dena said:

I haven't forgotten you. Still working on an answer for you. I can see your history so no need to provide anything.

Hi @dena, hope you had a Happy New Year!

Do you have an update regarding the submission form and pre-screens?

• Administrator
On 1/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, Tony S said:

If the book is already in the database all is good. If adding a book not in the database, I see no way to select or enter anything other than month and year. 

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out for a few days over the holidays. I'll look at getting that fixed so it doesn't require the month/year format.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:44 AM, rdp collectibles said:

---I did a 24 book order with old system around 12-12 and a 25 book order with new system around 12-19...took me about an hour in each case..had to do more clicking with the old and more typing with the new..I hated the old system and always clicking for tier and  declining custom holders...with new system, made one click for the tier and was never bugged for custom holders...however, I found the title search in the new to be useless and resorted to typing and copy and paste...in so doing, I always had to type the date as it would never pop up (it did on the old system)..for the publisher, marvel would show to be clicked, but dc and atlas always had to be typed...the check amount was 3 or 4 times the order total, but I always use a card so I ignored it...did not have any real hang-ups or page freezes in either case...

Thanks for the feedback. I see you posted this comment on 12/23. I'm wondering if you entered the order prior to 12/22. There were a few updates made on 12/22 to address the weird check total situation and some problems in the book search. Is it better for you now? Or are you still seeing those problems?

---Thanks for the feedback. I see you posted this comment on 12/23. I'm wondering if you entered the order prior to 12/22. There were a few updates made on 12/22 to address the weird check total situation and some problems in the book search. Is it better for you now? Or are you still seeing those problems?

---to dena-----I did the order on 12-19-21 and haven't done  any since, so I can't offer any further comments.....I generally only submit 25 to 50 books per year and should be good until late  2022....currently have 70 books somewhere in your facility awaiting someone to do their thing.....I am curious about something--made a typo on the issue number on a recent order...I caught it while boxing them up and made a note on the packing slip...However, whoever opened the box and verified the contents still show it with the incorrect issue number...should I try to contact customer svc or just wait for further processing to correct it?? thanks....

On Monday, I entered a book, saw it in my "cart" tried to use the back key to enter another book and it looked like the first book disappeared. 

It had not, but it would be helpful if you could still see how many books were in your cart when you try to add something. At first I thought I needed to redo the entries, but when

I tried that, the first book popped up.

• Administrator
On 1/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, skypinkblu said:

On Monday, I entered a book, saw it in my "cart" tried to use the back key to enter another book and it looked like the first book disappeared. 

It had not, but it would be helpful if you could still see how many books were in your cart when you try to add something. At first I thought I needed to redo the entries, but when

I tried that, the first book popped up.

Thanks Sharon! I'll look at this.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:59 AM, Tony S said:

So just did a submission of 136 books. I was rather dreading it but I have to say it was a great deal easier than my first few submissions a week ago.  It is much more likely to bring up the book I am looking to submit. Sometimes it was in fact quicker than the old system

For books with a lot of potential matches, I still find it easier to input the title and then publication date. Those freaking moderns and all their reboots and variant covers easily overwhelm the "first 50" results displayed. 

I had my first encounter with needing to input a book not in the database and found a problem. There does not appear to be a way to input a new comic with ONLY a year for publication.  The system insists on month/year.  The comic book I was adding only listed a year of publication in the indicia (Cannibal Romances #1 - 1986. Last Gasp) A fair number of books have been published that only list a year for the publication date. So unless I was doing something wrong, this should be added to the things needed tweaked. 

You should be getting paid to beta test this.  Just sayin' 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:33 AM, dena said:

Thanks all for your feedback. We are working to address all concerns immediately.

Answers in red to some questions so far:

It no longer possible to do multiple tiers in one session. You have to pick the tier you are submitting under.  Once selected you can't change. So if you have five moderns, five economy and one Express - you start over 3x. That's 3x entering address, 3x entering payment information. 3x the printing.  I'm sure it saves CGC a bit of time. When receiving logs in books they split off different tiers on one order form. Now they don't have to do that.  We did it for them. You can add multiple Tiers in one session. When you are in your cart, there is an option to Add Another Service

image.png

Even worse is I'm not sure what you would do if you make a mistake. Let's say for instance you sort out your submission of 20 books. Ten moderns, 10 economy. So you do the 10 moderns, print everything out and then start a new submission for the economy. And discover you missed a modern published 1/75.  I suppose you have to send the modern in as economy - or start over - throwing away the modern submission you did. Or it could be the opposite. You find a book published 12/74 in your "modern" stack. Economy already done. Old system you just typed in the book and the computer moved it into the right tier. Since you can have multiple tiers in a session as indicated above, this would not be an issue. You could either go to your cart and 'Add Another Service' or, if you are working on your Economy and add a Modern book, the form will let you know that it is out of the date range for Economy and will ask you if you'd like to add another service to your session.

The look up function is really horrid for modern books. For instance there has been a jillion Amazing Spider-man titles. So you have to either scroll through a long list trying to find the right issue #4, or you have to type in the date.  Sometimes it's 09/14. But a different title published Sept 2014 might not be found unless you type 9/14.  And you still have to sort through the various Canadian and Swedish and variant covers to find your book. We are aware the typeahead is an issue and we are working to tweak the sorting so it better returns the results you would expect. That is a top priority for us and we intend to fix this ASAP.

CGC continues down it's path to kill trees. Remember the day when you could do a submission of 20 books and the submission printed out on  sheet of paper? If you printed a copy for yourself it was two pieces of paper.  Now a submission of one book is four pages. That should not be the case and I am looking into this.

I also had weirdness where when it was time to enter payment information that if I wanted to pay with a check, CGC wanted more $$ than the total of the order. Credit card was the submission amount. IDK if that means CGC thinks I have some outstanding balance or what. I guess I'll call accounting tomorrow to check on that. This should also not be the case. The form should be charging the same regardless of the payment method. I am looking into this right away.

I suppose a web designer thinks it looks prettier, but any enhanced functionality is aimed at making CGC's side easier. This is not the case. We had overwhelming feedback that the old format had it's own issues and the goal in changing to this new format was to provide a faster experience for the customer. Also, the typeahead, when delivering results more efficiently, will get the user to the correct item in our database which will make it quicker for receiving to get your submissions verified and in the queue faster. We've seen evidence of this in our other verticals. The number of trading cards coming in correctly identified nearly doubled when the transition was made from the old format to the new format. I realize that it is hard to see the benefit now when the typeahead is not performing in the way it should. However, we are committed to making this a superior experience and your feedback helps us get there. 

Hello Dena,

I just tried to +Add Another Service but It would not let me select another service.  I had entered in some Comic books and then wanted to do some Magazines but I just couldn't select (click) on Magazines. 
If this does indeed work, please let me know how.
Thank You,
Michael

Edited by musicmeta

Hi,  just started to add some comics but when i get to the bottom of the add a book button on section ! it jumps up to the Private signing box and forces me to choose that.

Otherwise it wont let me add a book at the bottom.

I'm choosing 

Mail in

Grading

Tier: economy

Add comic.

Then it jumps up to Private signing box.

Okay well i switched to a different browser and got it to work, the error was happening on Chrome. someting else I noticed was if i need to seperate service for something like pressing on some books and not others or different tiers like  economy or modern there is as seperate $5 fee for each one.

Edited by Whotony

Tried it to get a few books in before the price change and absolutely hated the new submission form. It's horrible to look up titles. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to find out exactly when your comic was printed when previously you could type in the title and the most popular comics were listed first. Type in "X-Men" and you should get the OG "X-Men" everyone knows listed first. Now it's buried under a ton of other random stuff, literally impossible to scroll to unless you type in the exact publication date along with it. Sucks. I have a lot of books in the process of being graded, so I'll just hold off on submitting anything else for quite a while. Hopefully that gives CGC a chance to fix this thing or put it back to the perfectly fine form they had previously.

• Administrator
On 1/26/2022 at 3:52 PM, Jarodm5 said:

Tried it to get a few books in before the price change and absolutely hated the new submission form. It's horrible to look up titles. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to find out exactly when your comic was printed when previously you could type in the title and the most popular comics were listed first. Type in "X-Men" and you should get the OG "X-Men" everyone knows listed first. Now it's buried under a ton of other random stuff, literally impossible to scroll to unless you type in the exact publication date along with it. Sucks. I have a lot of books in the process of being graded, so I'll just hold off on submitting anything else for quite a while. Hopefully that gives CGC a chance to fix this thing or put it back to the perfectly fine form they had previously.

Thanks for the feedback. We are still tweaking the typeahead search. I will report this specific example to our programmers. The examples are extremely helpful.