• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So happy!!
1 1

25 posts in this topic

So happy I waited 6 months for my bulk sub to get 8's and 8.5's!

Can't wait to spend the extra time and energy and money to crack many of these to send to a competitor to get the grades they deserve. Such a fun process grading with CGC!

I love 8.5's and the community does too! Yay!!

I know its sarcasm, and you joke - but honestly I feel you on this...to an extent.

I really dont like the 'fake' part of not getting a 10. They clearly gatekeep, and I'll give you an exact example:

100 charizard illustrators sent to PSA: 79 10's
200 charizard illustrators sent to CGC: 0 10's

You're telling me...not ONE...ONE japanese promo that is NON-HOLO was a 10? They all just magically hit the 9.5 mark? It's just BS. The 10 gate-keeping needs to stop. I'm fine with it being 'hard' to get a 10, I feel PSA throws out 10's when they shouldnt...but dont falsify the grades to make your 10 rare.

Just my 2 cents. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, PokemanDude90 said:

Can't wait to spend the extra time and energy and money to crack many of these to send to a competitor to get the grades they deserve. Such a fun process grading with CGC!

I wish there was a more detailed list to grading standards. Some things that I would think would be a 9. Mint being  pack fresh with a speck or two of whitening on the corners maybe the most tiny of foil scratches from the cards rubbing each other. See some that I feel like should be 9s, get an 8.5, then on the flip I see others that I would think would be an 8 get an 8.5. side by side the difference is too big eye appeal wise for them to both be 8.5s imo. I'm assuming it's a scenario in which you might have like 9 center, 9 surface, 9 corners, 7.5 edges and it gets that +1 bump compared to a card that's 2 9s, 2 8.5s.

So you end up with some that look really good, only a hair away from mint, and some with some pretty obvious defects.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

I agree this is a problem. I sent over 100 cards for bulk grading and none got a 10. That includes over 10 illustrator charizards which most got 9.5 grades. Over 10 General Mills Pikachu all got 9.0 or below. I know I’m not paying $100 a card to grade but c’on there should be at least one 10. I am seriously considering canceling my membership. CGC needs to understand the market is down for sellers right now. And a CGC 9 is not valued the same as a PSA 9. Much less a 8.5 or 8 for a truly mint card. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:39 AM, Osvaldolara said:

I agree this is a problem. I sent over 100 cards for bulk grading and none got a 10. That includes over 10 illustrator charizards which most got 9.5 grades. Over 10 General Mills Pikachu all got 9.0 or below. I know I’m not paying $100 a card to grade but c’on there should be at least one 10. I am seriously considering canceling my membership. CGC needs to understand the market is down for sellers right now. And a CGC 9 is not valued the same as a PSA 9. Much less a 8.5 or 8 for a truly mint card. 

Maybe you should of went with psa or beckett?

On 12/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, PokemanDude90 said:

Same though my wait was close to 9 months. Very disappointed none of any of these brand new fresh from the package cards did not get above 9. I have hundreds I would like to eventually grade but will hold off to most likely send to one of the other two companies.

867997890_CardsMost9.thumb.png.a585ae26613c90b573e07d155c0551c4.png

Is it the number that gets under everyones skin?? I wonder if it would be better if Gem Mint was was 10 on CGC as well instead of 9.5.

That might be CGC's main downfall it seems. Wonder if that will change in the future 🤔

On 12/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, Oreos said:

I know its sarcasm, and you joke - but honestly I feel you on this...to an extent.

I really dont like the 'fake' part of not getting a 10. They clearly gatekeep, and I'll give you an exact example:

100 charizard illustrators sent to PSA: 79 10's
200 charizard illustrators sent to CGC: 0 10's

You're telling me...not ONE...ONE japanese promo that is NON-HOLO was a 10? They all just magically hit the 9.5 mark? It's just BS. The 10 gate-keeping needs to stop. I'm fine with it being 'hard' to get a 10, I feel PSA throws out 10's when they shouldnt...but dont falsify the grades to make your 10 rare.

Just my 2 cents. 

Do you have the numbers for how many BGS 10's of that card were graded in that time period ??

When PSA opens up its lower tiers again in 2022, CGC is going to take a hit. The grading market isn't going to reward a company that 1) puts slabs into the market that command much lower prices at the same grade than its competitors, and 2) gives much harsher grades than its competitors to the point of being laughable.

Will be curious to see if CGC responds by rewarding more 10s. Of course, that would devalue existing CGC 9s and 9.5s. CGC has really put themselves in a bad spot no matter what they do.

I've also already seen a ton of Dragon Ball Super cards coming back with 9.5s that would have earned BGS gold label 10s. DBS collectors are learning their lessons too.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, Oreos said:

Just my 2 cents. 

Is it always the same subgrade stopping it from getting a 10? Which element do they judge more harshly than PSA?

Also, has CGC's current technique towards 10s devalued PSA's 10s?

On 1/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

BruhIMG_20220114_194327.thumb.jpg.08cd9b74f2e50f16058596f68503a4c4.jpg

@PokemanDude90 they wildin out with these 8.5s

Not surprising. Also not surprising that CGC is suddenly making it public how many 10’s they’re giving in their marketing material lately. Better start giving a whole lot more guys, just being honest.

Someone linked Poke Knowledge’s video in this thread, but he’s not the only one fed up. Old Skool Pokémon has said he’s over CGC, KetchumAllCollectibles put out a few videos now stating why he’s done with CGC, Echo Base Collectibles has put out a few videos mainly calling out the whole charge-your-credit-card-way-before-the-cards-ship-back maneuver CGC pulls on people, and there’s others. People that have been in the community a long time are just fed up. 

The community is being very vocal about what needs to be done, I hope CGC is listening. 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:12 PM, PokemanDude90 said:

Not surprising. Also not surprising that CGC is suddenly making it public how many 10’s they’re giving in their marketing material lately. Better start giving a whole lot more guys, just being honest.

Someone linked Poke Knowledge’s video in this thread, but he’s not the only one fed up. Old Skool Pokémon has said he’s over CGC, KetchumAllCollectibles put out a few videos now stating why he’s done with CGC, Echo Base Collectibles has put out a few videos mainly calling out the whole charge-your-credit-card-way-before-the-cards-ship-back maneuver CGC pulls on people, and there’s others. People that have been in the community a long time are just fed up. 

The community is being very vocal about what needs to be done, I hope CGC is listening. 

Well said.

Poke Knowledge's video cites some obvious red flags with CGC's grading. Cards cut from the same row on the same sheet (because they're 4 of the same card from the same Skybridge them deck) receiving different centering sub-grades, etc. Just obvious stuff.

I truly hope CGC is trying address some of these issues because I want CGC to succeed so bad but right now they're just killing themselves. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:50 PM, RoLaren said:

I've experienced similar to this guy. I had a submission of somewhere around 150 EX Series reverse holos, most of them pack fresh (10-15 of which I pulled myself between 2019-2021). I didn't get a single 9.5. Literally not even one. Compare this to my PSA sub where 80%+ of my pack fresh holos/reverse holos get 10s. Like the guy in that video, I submitted cards from 2003-04. The card quality of pack fresh cards from that era is god-tier.

Until CGC starts making it reasonably attainable to get 9.5s on vintage English holos, I'm done grading with them. There's no reason why CGC 9.5s should be that much more difficult to attain than PSA 10s.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:12 PM, PokemanDude90 said:

The level of consistency within the 8.5 range it what gets me. I don't disagree with every 8.5 I received. Some of them, the nick on the corner is too large to be a 9, or some of them have a print line that would knock it to an 8.5 or w/e, you get the idea. Then you get to the next 8.5 that's no scratching on foil, no print lines, no edge wear, no chips on corner etc, and just leaves me scratching my head. A few that are financially viable test subjects, I'm going to crack and resub elsewhere even if it's at a break even point with a 9 over an 8.5. I'm curious for one thing, but also, I don't want to sell so many 8.5s at dirt prices if I can hold and resub down the line and get more. Sending them off today, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have an idea on how to proceed forward.

I also don't like having to hook up my air compressor and blow gun to get all this paper trash off the slabs either. Rather annoying.

I still prefer the CGC cases aesthetics over PSA and the new sub grade all 10s for free is very attractive option. All card graders have had levels of issues with grading consistency can’t really see much of a problem except stricter grading which is good 👍 😊

On 1/18/2022 at 7:26 PM, Mike Ce said:

I still prefer the CGC cases aesthetics over PSA and the new sub grade all 10s for free is very attractive option. All card graders have had levels of issues with grading consistency can’t really see much of a problem except stricter grading which is good 👍 😊

CGC cases are exceptionally nice. The clarity and feel is superior to PSA, IMHO. Personally, I'm done grading with CGC, but I will continue buying CGC slabs I need when they come up for sale (which is pretty much never lol). People need to start submitting more mint vintage English holos to CGC, pls.

Edited by zorloth

Great news though guys, CGC is grading cards received in a 2 month window! I know this because I have been charged for orders received 2 months apart which means they're being graded together. Incredible that their graders are able to do 2 months worth of work at the same time, so that CGC can collect money from me way in advance while grading these submissions received 2 months apart! Amazing. Hopefully they're using this cash flow to complete their population tool. #doingmypart 

image.thumb.png.f54aa8df6df47db8427c0241077d133b.png

On 1/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, zorloth said:

CGC cases are exceptionally nice. The clarity and feel is superior to PSA, IMHO. Personally, I'm done grading with CGC, but I will continue buying CGC slabs I need when they come up for sale (which is pretty much never lol). People need to start submitting more mint vintage English holos to CGC, pls.

100% agreed Zorloth. I am trying to complete a CGC 9 early EX era ex set (English). I have 76 of the 150 ex's in a CGC 9. It's been a GRIND to get to 76 let me tell you. I also have 9 CGC 9.5 ex's as well but I don't count those as part of my master set. And of course the early EX era is the era CGC absolutely loves to give 8.5's on which is worth mentioning.

To add to your point, I'm also done grading with CGC for the time being, so hopefully someone out there is grading a bunch of early ex's so I don't have to buy PSA 9's to try and crack to CGC 9's, as the raw supply of mint early EX era is basically 0 at this point.... FML. My other option is to cross my CGC 9's to PSA or something, which might be worth while as some of my 9's would surely be 10's tbh. 

In between a rock and hard place over here man...

On 1/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, PokemanDude90 said:

100% agreed Zorloth. I am trying to complete a CGC 9 early EX era ex set (English). I have 76 of the 150 ex's in a CGC 9. It's been a GRIND to get to 76 let me tell you. I also have 9 CGC 9.5 ex's as well but I don't count those as part of my master set. And of course the early EX era is the era CGC absolutely loves to give 8.5's on which is worth mentioning.

To add to your point, I'm also done grading with CGC for the time being, so hopefully someone out there is grading a bunch of early ex's so I don't have to buy PSA 9's to try and crack to CGC 9's, as the raw supply of mint early EX era is basically 0 at this point.... FML. My other option is to cross my CGC 9's to PSA or something, which might be worth while as some of my 9's would surely be 10's tbh. 

In between a rock and hard place over here man...

76 is impressive! That's a super cool goal. I'm collecting gem mint (CGC 9.5 and PSA 10) English sets of both holos and exs for the first 5 EX Series sets (plus TRR). I currently have 13 CGC 9.5s across those sets as well as a couple stray 9.5s (an Arcanine ex and a Deoxys ex #97). I also have many dozens of PSA 10s. Simply put, my CGC 9.5s put my PSA 10s to shame in terms of card quality. The vast majority of my PSA 10s wouldn't cross to CGC 9.5, IMHO.

CGC 9s can be insanely strong. I have a giant stack of my strongest CGC 9s that I'm planning on crossing to PSA with the hope of getting 10s. If they would've gotten 9.5s, I would've happily kept them in the CGC cases. But CGC has made 9.5s on these sorts of cards laughably difficult to get. I get wanting to have tight standards, but making 9.5s ten times harder to get than PSA 10 is insanity to me!

I share your hope that more people will grade mint English EX Series with CGC! I'm always down to spend less and get higher quality cards :). That's a winning combo, in my book.

Edited by zorloth