• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 scarcest pulps
2 2

76 posts in this topic

What are considered to be the scarcest pulps? I realize there are some that are probably scarce, but demand is not really there, so I'm wondering about ones which due to cover or content would be more collectible. I've read that the Thrill Books are pretty rare along with some of the early Weird Tales, and esoteric stuff like Zepplin Stories and I'm guessing most truly scarce pulps would be from prior to 1930. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:24 AM, Bookery said:

Here's a sampling of some of the pulps I used to own that I'd classify as scarce to rare...

pulp10.jpg

What the heck is happening on this cover? Is that Joan of Arc? Kind of weird to have the protagonist looking away from the viewer.

On 12/23/2021 at 7:24 AM, Bookery said:

Here's a sampling of some of the pulps I used to own that I'd classify as scarce to rare...

pulp1.jpg

pulp2.jpg

pulp3.jpg

pulp4.jpg

pulp5.jpg

pulp6.jpg

pulp7.jpg

pulp8.jpg

pulp9.jpg

pulp10.jpg

pulp11.jpg

pulp12.jpg

pulp13.jpg

pulp14.jpg

Thanks for sharing these. Now I'm thinking I should have bid more on a copy of that Snappy Romances I saw at auction recently.  Is it a squarebound pulp, or magazine format like the other Edmar publications I've seen? I love the spicy fiction/pinup magazines from the 30s, and appreciate that they get lumped in with pulps due to the era, cross-over collecting, and ease of buying and selling, but do they really qualify as pulps?

On 12/24/2021 at 11:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Wouldn’t All Story Oct 1912 (first Tarzan), be up at the top of the list? I have heard it referred as the Action #1 of pulps. 

Most valuable I suspect, but among the scarcest? (shrug)

On 12/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, rjpb said:

Most valuable I suspect, but among the scarcest? (shrug)

I think it's probably slightly more common than the average issue from around then.  But the numbers for any issue of any pulp that's 109 years old are incredibly low.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Love, crime detective above a photo cover from what movie I wonder?

I think it's just an art-studio photo-- possibly just purchased for use, or possibly shot specifically for this issue.  I don't recall seeing the image anywhere else.  It's like with photo-cover romance comics... some were from movies (which are often identified) but many are just professional model photo-sets.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, rjpb said:

Thanks for sharing these. Now I'm thinking I should have bid more on a copy of that Snappy Romances I saw at auction recently.  Is it a squarebound pulp, or magazine format like the other Edmar publications I've seen? I love the spicy fiction/pinup magazines from the 30s, and appreciate that they get lumped in with pulps due to the era, cross-over collecting, and ease of buying and selling, but do they really qualify as pulps?

It's been a long time since I owned it... I have it listed in my guide as a bedsheet, which would generally indicate a squarebound format.  But it may have been a large thickish stapled publication... I honestly can't recall at this point.  If it is indeed stapled, it probably shouldn't be technically described as a bedsheet.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:17 PM, Sarg said:

What the heck is happening on this cover? Is that Joan of Arc? Kind of weird to have the protagonist looking away from the viewer.

Scrap Book is a bizarre publication anyway.  The early issues were released each month in 2 volumes... one volume contained mostly fiction, while the other was primarily non-fiction.  After a couple of years like this, they combined content into a single volume.