• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 scarcest pulps
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, waaaghboss said:

and 1 submarine stories, sitting there, the price of a jet ski, taunting me :frustrated:

Yeah, if it doesn't have Mystery, Saucy, Spicy, Horror, Terror, Weird, Cupid or Adventure in the title, I ain't paying multiple thousands fer it.

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

On 12/26/2021 at 10:31 PM, Joshua33 said:

Yeah, if it doesn't have Mystery, Saucy, Spicy, Horror, Terror, Weird, Cupid or Adventure in the title, I ain't paying multiple thousands fer it.

My wife likes to tell people that I like to collect any comics or magazines “with a girl chained to a wheel and a branding iron” :roflmao:

She is an antique dealer and has often brought me home such magazines with these themes she runs into in her travels. 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:02 AM, Robot Man said:

My wife likes to tell people that I like to collect any comics or magazines “with a girl chained to a wheel and a branding iron” :roflmao:

She is an antique dealer and has often brought me home such magazines with these themes she runs into in her travels. 

I saw a detective book last night where a guy was getting dragged to a guillotine,  and had the thought "if he was in a bikini you could add another zero to the price of the book" B|

Edited by waaaghboss

On 12/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, waaaghboss said:

I saw a detective book last night where a guy was getting dragged to a guillotine,  and had the thought "if he was in a bikini you could add another zero to the price of the book" B|

This is so true. Shameless really. :drool:

A lot of the pubs that Tim pictured are very rare as well as the your typical rarities like Zepplin stories and submarine stories, all story 1912 the first Tarzan.  However there are dozens upon dozens of rare pulps and hardly ever show up and nobody thinks about them because they’re not the most popular ones.  Thrill books aren’t exactly, either, As well as many early All stories or detective story magazines or black masks are all rare!

Shadow 1 And some of the early weird tales are not exactly easy to get.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:31 AM, Joshua33 said:

Josh,

Josh, just do your proper research as I am sure you do .  I would not always pay thousands just because of the titles!  Some of the mystery, saucy’s Spicys are worth hundreds, not thousands.
In the past I’ve seen people come from the comic market into the pulp market and because pulps are cheap compared to comics, indiscriminately pay thousands for pulps that normally go for hundreds. The market then artificially inflates and then drops back down when these collectors get frustrated and go back to comics because of the lack of action Due to the scarcity of Pulps.  

In the past 3 years you’ve had the Glynn Crain collection and a couple of collections at adventurehouse , John’s  own personal collection and Ed Gobbett‘s collection, but there will be times where there might not be a Collection that’ll come out for a few years and that does not bode well for comic collectors because they need that constant fix And there always are more comics coming out of every issue so there’s action over and over constantly, but waiting for a number of years to add Pulps to a Collection can be unbelievably frustrating let me tell you,  and patience is needed.  

Edited by detective35

On 12/31/2021 at 3:40 PM, detective35 said:

Josh,

Josh, just do your proper research.  I would not always pay thousands just because of the titles!  Some of the mystery, saucy’s Spicys are worth hundreds, not thousands.
In the past I’ve seen people come from the comic market into the pulp market and because pulps are cheap compared to comics, indiscriminately pay thousands for pulps that normally go for hundreds. The market then artificially inflates and then drops back down when these collectors get frustrated because of the lack of action and leave.

I really do appreciate the suggestions. I hope you do understand, I am buying books with a discerning eye. I don't buy books because of the title, I just happen to love a lot of books within the titles I mentioned, as compared to other titles. As far what I pay, and other people pay for pulps, I am not nearly the only one paying much higher prices for pulps compared to 2 years ago. I see multiple sales for books that I've acquired recently, in worse condition, than I paid for much better condition copies, of books I wanted. I could be totally incorrect, and I am a novice compared to you OGs, but I would suggest that the days of suppressed pricing on pulps has come to an end. I think we are seeing a new normal. To be objective 90%+ of the pulps I own were purchased at some form of auction, and I had somebody willing to pay a couple bucks less than I was on every book I won. I have also had MULTIPLE boardies reach out to me after I've won particular books, offering me immediate, hefty profits to part with them... to which I simply reply "thank you, but not at this time". Happy New Year and happy hunting to all!!!

On 12/31/2021 at 10:20 PM, Joshua33 said:

I really do appreciate the suggestions. I hope you do understand, I am buying books with a discerning eye. I don't buy books because of the title, I just happen to love a lot of books within the titles I mentioned, as compared to other titles. As far what I pay, and other people pay for pulps, I am not nearly the only one paying much higher prices for pulps compared to 2 years ago. I see multiple sales for books that I've acquired recently, in worse condition, than I paid for much better condition copies, of books I wanted. I could be totally incorrect, and I am a novice compared to you OGs, but I would suggest that the days of suppressed pricing on pulps has come to an end. I think we are seeing a new normal. To be objective 90%+ of the pulps I own were purchased at some form of auction, and I had somebody willing to pay a couple bucks less than I was on every book I won. I have also had MULTIPLE boardies reach out to me after I've won particular books, offering me immediate, hefty profits to part with them... to which I simply reply "thank you, but not at this time". Happy New Year and happy hunting to all!!!

Absolutely,

I know you do your research as by what you post, and have a good eye, and  have picked up some great stuff, …discerning taste 👍

My comment is just don’t get frustrated if you hit a dry spell, that happens in Pulp collecting!

I agree the pulp prices are up partly because they’re being exposed more, and the other part of  is that I think people are anticipating grading!

Keep up the good work! 👍

BTW:  Sent you a message, should be in your inbox!

Edited by detective35

On 12/31/2021 at 10:20 PM, Joshua33 said:

Josh

I have always wondered why people reach out after, why don’t they just bid more??? Unless they just missed the auction)!

Edited by detective35

On 12/31/2021 at 8:33 PM, detective35 said:

Josh

I have always wondered why people reach out after, why don’t they just bid more??? Unless they just missed the auction)!

Often times I misjudge what a book might go for.  I see a book I want, auction has it at say $20, bookery has it at say $40, I toss a $60 bid at it and then forget about it for a week.  Then I see it went for $200 but I still want it and can't find another for sale 🤪

Luckily i rarely spend more than 30 or so on a book and very rarely sell anything, so future market trends don't really affect me. 

On 12/31/2021 at 8:27 PM, detective35 said:

Absolutely,

I know you do your research as by what you post, and have a good eye, and  have picked up some great stuff, …discerning taste 👍

My comment is just don’t get frustrated if you hit a dry spell, that happens in Pulp collecting!

I agree the pulp prices are up partly because they’re being exposed more, and the other part of  is that I think people are anticipating grading!

Keep up the good work! 👍

BTW:  Sent you a message, should be in your inbox!

Ah!!! The dreaded "dry spell" I was on an absolute drubbing, and I am now in a rut, but that has always been the rub, right? Comics, Toys, Furniture, Guns and now Pulps!!! I have always experienced the dry spell at some point, whether it was a lack of disposable funds or an abundance of funds, with no available inventory. TIMING IS LIFE!!!

On 12/31/2021 at 8:33 PM, detective35 said:

Josh

In some cases I think they miss the auction. In others, they're like "I thought I had that for sure, now I'll pay even more, now that I realize there was somebody else willing to". Validation is an evil Queen... Confused emoji. 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, waaaghboss said:

Often times I misjudge what a book might go for.  I see a book I want, auction has it at say $20, bookery has it at say $40, I toss a $60 bid at it and then forget about it for a week.  Then I see it went for $200 but I still want it and can't find another for sale 🤪

Luckily i rarely spend more than 30 or so on a book and very rarely sell anything, so future market trends don't really affect me. 

You do what you do, Phillip. Collect what you like. Stay within your budget and enjoy the ride. You literally can't go wrong!!!:golfclap:

Probably scarce in relation to demand. Great cover and great title, and easily remembered, so likely on a lot of lists. One shot from a relatively obscure publisher, so probably not wide distribution. Put the two together and you've got a "scarce" book.