• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 scarcest pulps
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, rjpb said:

Probably scarce in relation to demand. Great cover and great title, and easily remembered, so likely on a lot of lists. One shot from a relatively obscure publisher, so probably not wide distribution. Put the two together and you've got a "scarce" book.

This is apparently an off-shoot of Fawcett (probably too risque for them to use their own name).  While a big name in comics, they were never huge into the pulps.  But they eventually became a major presence in paperback publishing.

Rare and scarce does not always = valuable. You are missing demand and desire ability. Not every thing simply rare and scarce translates to big money.

I’m not very familiar with early Blue Books. The early Burroughs ones and a few others yes. What would make this issue interesting to me Is the age. I realize there are probably not a whole lot of them and would grab it for the right price if I ran into it in the wild.

The biggest majority of buyers are looking for covers and writers. The market for this would probably be a LOT smaller. Would be very easy for me to part with if I were to get lucky enough to score one in my travels.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:26 AM, Robot Man said:

Rare and scarce does not always = valuable. You are missing demand and desire ability. Not every thing simply rare and scarce translates to big money.

I’m not very familiar with early Blue Books. The early Burroughs ones and a few others yes. What would make this issue interesting to me Is the age. I realize there are probably not a whole lot of them and would grab it for the right price if I ran into it in the wild.

The biggest majority of buyers are looking for covers and writers. The market for this would probably be a LOT smaller. Would be very easy for me to part with if I were to get lucky enough to score one in my travels.

I was agreeing with Dwight, and you on rare vs. valuable :-)

I ended up reading that issue of Blue Book and reviewing it on my blog.

https://pulpflakes.com/blog/issue-review-blue-book-1907-may/

Comments welcome.