• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P George Olshevsky
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting this. As others have said, George's Marvel Comics Indexes were a wealth of information in the pre-internet era. I was making my weekly trip to my LCS in 1976 when I saw the first one, Spider-Man, on the shelf. It was a bit pricey compared to a comic book but after flipping through it I had to buy it. I collected the volumes that followed too. Great work.

R.I.P. George

On 12/17/2021 at 3:21 PM, Timely said:

Sad to hear of his passing. I’ve owned many of his books (he coded them all in a very specific and unique way) and saw him at SD several years back. 

He didn't mark all of them. I bought a number of Pre-Hero Monster Comics from him from a catalog he put out sometime in the 1980's. I think he was selling off his Atlas collection, or at least they made up the bulk of his catalog as I recall. I told John Verzl (sp) about buying from him at one SDCC and he told me about the code, (which I think I still remember). I looked at a number of the ones I had bought, but none had the Code. I didn't look at them all though. I've been meaning to post pics of them in the Silver Age section as I bought only really nice copies. There wasn't much demand for those then, so Most were still available when I got the catalog.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:13 PM, Book Guy said:

He didn't mark all of them. I bought a number of Pre-Hero Monster Comics from him from a catalog he put out sometime in the 1980's. I think he was selling off his Atlas collection, or at least they made up the bulk of his catalog as I recall. I told John Verzl (sp) about buying from him at one SDCC and he told me about the code, (which I think I still remember). I looked at a number of the ones I had bought, but none had the Code. I didn't look at them all though. I've been meaning to post pics of them in the Silver Age section as I bought only really nice copies. There wasn't much demand for those then, so Most were still available when I got the catalog.

I believe there was a value cutoff to the coding. He would not have coded a $5 comic, but would have a $500 one.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:24 AM, Timely said:

I believe there was a value cutoff to the coding. He would not have coded a $5 comic, but would have a $500 one.

I don't know as I only have the copies I bought from him. I think I paid $250 for Tales To Astonish # 1. Maybe it was less. At any rate, it might have been a $5 comic when he bought it. Though he did all the Marvel Checklists, I got the impression that his main love was the older, esp Timely Books. Maybe there was a date cut off?

On 12/22/2021 at 6:37 AM, Timely said:

I was told he did it to prove the books were his in case they were ever stolen. I assume he only coded the more valuable books. 

There were actually 2 different types of codes he did. There was the long code he did near the spine of an interior page and a --script “GO” that was on the bottom of the last page.

AB6C34E0-C360-4C1E-8768-6DC09800661B.jpeg

Thanks. I'll look again.