• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about All-Pictures Adventures Magazine #2

25 posts in this topic

I have a copy of All-Pictures Adventures Magazine #2.  I couldn't find much information on GCD since it has not been indexed.  There are only three on the census and I found raw sale on HA in 2006.  The HA listing description states: 

"All Picture Adventure Magazine #2 (St. John, 1952) Condition: Apparent VG/FN. Contains three St. John comics rebound -- one is an unknown issue of Authentic Police Cases, and the other two are indeterminate horror comics. Artists include Matt Baker, Don Perlin, and Paul Gattuso. Lingerie and bondage panels inside."

My copy has the following three issues rebound 

Weird Horrors #2

Atom-Age Combat #1

Authentic Police Cases #16

So it has the artists HA mentions - Matt Baker, Don Perlin, And Paul Gattuso.

• Two questions if anyone knows - do the contents vary or are these three books the ones always rebound for this issue?
  • I assume mine has glue on the spine from a previous owner but curious since it is rebound, could it be manufacturing (pics below)?

Thanks

20211218_143015.thumb.jpg.d1739342853beebb88fc735519fef7e8.jpg20211218_143023.thumb.jpg.13e2332656d1a03936553742354e01a8.jpg20211218_143717.thumb.jpg.00de95268d5aeda8d0418b136137b074.jpg20211218_143752.thumb.jpg.c3bd93ce266eb4271e9a1c5ed8986d15.jpg20211218_143841.thumb.jpg.810f4fc42a16b52f6ecf8f0d467fb598.jpg167314471_all-pictureadventures2.thumb.jpg.872b0ef053499ac43ea7667dcbd9a82b.jpg783058593_all-picturelibrary2BC.thumb.jpg.35d7ebb0f16c80edcb692048f8138396.jpg
Edited by telerites

I have that book as well, and mine also not only has a glued spine, but two sets of staples; one set on the original and now coverless copy, and a heavier duty staple in order to bind the books all together.  I'm guessing that they simply used whatever remaindered copies, sans the 3/4 covers, they had available.

The contents of mine are; Weird Horrors 1, Strange Terrors 1, & Authentic Police Cases 18.

All-Picture Adventures 2.jpg

On 12/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, fifties said:

I have that book as well, and mine also not only has a glued spine, but two sets of staples; one set on the original and now coverless copy, and a heavier duty staple in order to bind the books all together.  I'm guessing that they simply used whatever remaindered copies, sans the 3/4 covers, they had available.

The contents of mine are; Weird Horrors 1, Strange Terrors 1, & Authentic Police Cases 18.

Thanks so much. 

So one different book and two the same.  I can't see any staples on mine unless they hidden under the glue.  Are you the gluing is manufacturing then and not post production?

On 12/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, telerites said:

Thanks so much. 

So one different book and two the same.  I can't see any staples on mine unless they hidden under the glue.  Are you the gluing is manufacturing then and not post production?

My guess would be that the three content books were stapled together with heavier than the normal staples used on comic books, and then the cover was glued on, at the spine.  Mine has the cover attached only at the spine, and reveals the staples on the first page.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:36 AM, telerites said:

I think it is a diving bell.

I'm pretty sure it's a Christmas ornament based on the way the humans are dressed and the fact that it appears the scene takes place in a room indoors.  But until now, I never noticed the setting.  It's an apt one for this time of year.  [I need a Santa emoji to post here]

On 12/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I'm pretty sure it's a Christmas ornament based on the way the humans are dressed and the fact that it appears the scene takes place in a room indoors.  But until now, I never noticed the setting.  It's an apt one for this time of year.  [I need a Santa emoji to post here]

Interesting.  I don't believe this is a diving bell or Christmas ornament based on close examination.  As a November comic it was probably sold a month or two before the cover date, so the target demographic probably wasn't Santa's elves.  This "chamber of horrors" appears to be inside a laboratory as cradled test tubes are viewable through the globe and next to it.  The creature holding this container doesn't appear to be human.  The victims seem miniaturized and trapped inside this object with no oxygen available.  

It's certainly a compelling piece of artwork that invites more questions than it resolves.  hm

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 12/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I see it now.  I saw the guy clutching his throat (like gasping for air) and my mind (what little there is left) went to a diving bell.  

@IngelsFan Christmas ornament it is.