• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Dump A 9.8 That Is Not A 9.8
3 3

39 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, Jbird said:

How would he know it happened when pressing?

It's a guess - could be several scenarios. 

Basically you have here a common book that was made into a premium book due to the signature.  Then it is wrecked somehow.  Like any premium book with a major flaw, incredibly hard to sell. 

Even a small flaw kills it.  In the collector world, any defect on something expected to be perfect can drop the value drastically, maybe 50% or more.  Calling it a rare screw up is a creative twist.  Hopefully someone isn't dumb enough to buy it for anywhere near the price of a normal one.

GPA has the 12 month average at $241, most recent sale in August at $225.  Asking price here is $325 plus $17 shipping.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, mr_highgrade said:

The real question should be, Why would anyone press a very common book like X-men #1? ???

I would get a quick press for any of my 9.8 books that has gone through a signing event, just general handling during a signing often leaves fingerprints and the most slightest of indents.

On 12/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, greggy said:

I doubt that it happened during the pressing.

I've seen this before when there is static that the covers stay still but the book moves in the case so the staples get f'd up like that.  This is an encapsulation issue. 

Have you seen this much damage from static? My intuition is that this much ripping of the cover would be impossible once encapsulated. Then again if it was dropped from a sufficient height and landed on edge maybe it could. Good to be aware of the possibility. Thanks for bringing it to light.

s-l1600 (17).jpg

On 12/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, mr_highgrade said:

The real question should be, Why would anyone press a very common book like X-men #1? ???

the book being common is unrelated. Rule of thumb is you always press after a signing since that's extra handling. We've seen that happen too many times with books that were already graded, then removed from the case, handled during a signing and reslabbed with a lower grade.

Regarding this listing, this is my favourite part (which clearly did not work out for the seller as this book did not sell):
This flaw from the top grading company could make this book worth more than what I'm selling it for. 

On 12/22/2021 at 2:03 AM, Jbird said:

Have you seen this much damage from static? My intuition is that this much ripping of the cover would be impossible once encapsulated. Then again if it was dropped from a sufficient height and landed on edge maybe it could. Good to be aware of the possibility. Thanks for bringing it to light.

s-l1600 (17).jpg

Yes, I have seen this much damage.  It's not impossible and it has happened.  

On 12/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, greggy said:

Same here, I have one 9.6 book that had the front cover 'stick' to the case and the rest of the book shifted around enough that it slowly caused the interior to tear away from the cover at the top staple.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, greggy said:

I believe you. Do you have some examples? I can see it happening with one staple, but here, we see that both staples have pulled away. And deeply.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:03 AM, Jbird said:

s-l1600 (17).jpg

Give me just about any certified book for 10 minutes and I can make it look the same way.  It's just physics.