• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Dump A 9.8 That Is Not A 9.8
3 3

39 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, Pangolin said:

Why doesn't he make a claim to CGC? That would be the honest thing to do.

CGC will likely state that it left their facility in perfect shape at the time of grading.  After that, anything could happen to it (damage in shipping, customer dropped it, etc.).  Also, If the eBay seller is not the original submitter, no recourse at all.

On 12/24/2021 at 2:47 PM, Lightning55 said:

CGC will likely state that it left their facility in perfect shape at the time of grading.  After that, anything could happen to it (damage in shipping, customer dropped it, etc.).  Also, If the eBay seller is not the original submitter, no recourse at all.

I did make a claim to CGC for a 9.8. The comic inside was damaged when I received it at home. And they accepted it. They refund me $950. And I am not a costumer that sent thousands of books a year.

If you are polite and explain your case with good arguments, CGC will make sure that you are a satisfied customer, like many other companies.

They have insurance and they just want to be sure they are dealing with an honest person.

Another time the case was severely scratch when I received it. It was rehold without any cost for me.

Edited by Pangolin
typo

On 12/24/2021 at 4:19 PM, Pangolin said:

I did make a claim to CGC for a 9.8. The comic inside was damaged when I received it at home. And they accepted it. They refund me $950. And I am not a costumer that sent thousands of books a year.

If you are polite and explain your case with good arguments, CGC will make sure that you are a satisfied customer, like many other companies.

They have insurance and they just want to be sure they are dealing with an honest person.

Another time the case was severely scratch when I received it. It was rehold without any cost for me.

If the damage could clearly be attributed to CGC, yes, they will cover you.  If there is doubt about the origin of the damage, as in the case of several possibilities of how it occurred, it will get more challenging. 

Their guarantee in part reads: While CGC is responsible for the care of your books while they're with us, any damage that occurs during shipping to CGC or after the books leave our facility is your responsibility or that of the shipping company with whom you contract.

If the comic has changed hands, no longer owned by the original submitter, another layer of difficulty comes into play.  It's possible that you have no standing at all for compensation.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, Math Teacher said:
On 12/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, Randall Ries said:

Some people have no shame.

Now, now, now................that's not a very nice thing to say about Heritage with its overlapping backscratching ownership of CCG and hence co-sponsers of these very boards here.  :devil:  lol

Especially since Heritage has absolutely no problems with still getting record setting prices when dumping some of their Promise Collection books with CGC grades that are clearly not in those grades, with being a perfect example:  :fear:  

7480D70A-0A59-4E45-A8F8-C469FEB5CCB0.jpeg

54D047AB-E75F-4D79-8C11-DA2049BA574D.jpeg

Seriously now, another one of those just managed to squeaked in somehow sole highest graded copies from the Promise Collection and sold for a rather mindblowing $10,500 or touching on some 40X OPG condition guide.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/24/2021 at 4:19 PM, Pangolin said:

That is a pleasant story. I never saw the point in antagonizing customer service. I only get upset when I am treated like a shmoe by whoever is on the phone for no reason. I worked in restaurants when I was young and I can say with absolute authority "Don't PO the people who handle your food".

On 12/25/2021 at 1:22 AM, lou_fine said:

Now, now, now................that's not a very nice thing to say about Heritage with its overlapping backscratching ownership of CCG and hence co-sponsers of these very boards here.  :devil:  lol

Especially since Heritage has absolutely no problems with still getting record setting prices when dumping some of their Promise Collection books with CGC grades that are clearly not in those grades, with being a perfect example:  :fear:  

7480D70A-0A59-4E45-A8F8-C469FEB5CCB0.jpeg

54D047AB-E75F-4D79-8C11-DA2049BA574D.jpeg

Seriously now, another one of those just managed to squeaked in somehow sole highest graded copies from the Promise Collection and sold for a rather mindblowing $10,500 or touching on some 40X OPG condition guide.  :screwy:

If I had $10,500, this isn't a book I would have bought. Wouldn't have bought any of the Promise collection, in fact. Paying bloat for the label. What's this book actually worth? $800? If it were an actual 8.5? Of course, we all realize that comic book values are out the window. The value is determined by the seller. I want $1500 for my 9.2 Swamp Thing #1 signed by Wrightson. Is it worth that? I don't know! Perhaps to someone. Comic book valuation died when the collector demographic rebelled and decided OPS was quackery.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:06 AM, Randall Ries said:

If I had $10,500, this isn't a book I would have bought. Wouldn't have bought any of the Promise collection, in fact. Paying bloat for the label. What's this book actually worth? $800? If it were an actual 8.5? Of course, we all realize that comic book values are out the window. The value is determined by the seller. I want $1500 for my 9.2 Swamp Thing #1 signed by Wrightson. Is it worth that? I don't know! Perhaps to someone. Comic book valuation died when the collector demographic rebelled and decided OPS was quackery.

How does the seller determine the price at an auction?

On 12/26/2021 at 10:00 AM, shadroch said:

How does the seller determine the price at an auction?

By setting a reserve? I was thinking along the lines of a normal selling situation. Perhaps even at auction - as we saw last year - two or three potential winners drove the bidding up into the stratosphere for common, well populated books because they were 9.8's.

A 9.8 Bat 227 sat on Metro's site for well over a year. When someone bought another 9.8 at auction ($40k? Something like that) Metro revised their ask from $9k (Unreasonable price to begin with) to $30k overnight. The high offer on that book at Metro was $7k-ish. Still is. It wasn't selling for $9k. No-one else has bid and yet there it sits at $30k to this day. Greg Reece upped his ask price as well for his 9.4 overnight. And Metro is trying to sell a signed 9.6 for $6k. And there they sit. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is negligible.

I have never had an offer accepted at Metro even though they say they accept offers. Accepting an offer only seems to mean "You can offer whatever you like. Doesn't mean we will accept the offer."

At least, 2020 was a weird year and as yet I haven't seen prices drop very much for keys. But if 2020 was an outlier year, then ask prices should have settled back down to what they were basically before COVID. Maybe they have and I haven't noticed. But if auction prices are determining a books real value, then a lot of collectors are left out in the cold.

It used to be a books rarity was its desirable quality. When 9.8 Transformers #1 start selling for 10's of thousands, then it's the seller determining the values if buyers are willing to pay that much for mediocrity. Then again, I may be confusing a collector with a speculator. And speculators shoot the collector in the face when they do it. When I start seeing speculators spending 10's of thousands for 1980's Gold Key Looney Tunes books, I'll start collecting stamps and coins again.

Greg Reece upped his ask price as well for his 9.4 overnight. And Metro is trying to sell a signed 9.6 for $6k. And there they sit.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I'm not saying we've never changed a price before but the majority of the time you see an increase it's because it's a consignors book, as is the case with this particular BM #227, and the consignor has changed the price.

Best to all,

Greg

On 12/26/2021 at 2:59 PM, gregreece said:

Greg Reece upped his ask price as well for his 9.4 overnight. And Metro is trying to sell a signed 9.6 for $6k. And there they sit.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I'm not saying we've never changed a price before but the majority of the time you see an increase it's because it's a consignors book, as is the case with this particular BM #227, and the consignor has changed the price.

Best to all,

Greg

Wow. It's almost like you are trying to make money off your customers.  For shame. 

On 12/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, Ryan. said:
On 12/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, Randall Ries said:

When 9.8 Transformers #1 start selling for 10's of thousands

Did this happen? 

Not sure about the 9.8's, but a CGC 9.9 copy did sell for something ridiculous like $44K which from my POV seems pretty much like crazy town to me. :screwy:

On 12/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, gregreece said:

Best to all,

Greg

Thanks, Greg. My observation was not a criticism. Just an observation. Probably the same with the Metro book as well. I found it odd (still do) that the Metro book sat and is still sitting for a long time with the same bid that no-one has raised. Only thing that was raised is the ask price. Like x3 of the previous ask that no-one was reaching for anyway. Perhaps the 9.8 book isn't worth even $9k to the prudent collector. IS worth $7k to someone, though.

A one time sale for a Bat 227 for $40k or so might be a record but perhaps it shouldn't be a high water mark for all other books that are close to that grade. I think at this point, I'd rather have close to 100% of $7k than 100% of nothing.

But. What do I know? I have a Bat 227 in 8.0. LOL!

On 12/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, shadroch said:

Wow. It's almost like you are trying to make money off your customers.  For shame. 

I was obviously presumptuous. I always default to the strange belief that online dealers own all the books they advertise. I am incorrect.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the 9.8's, but a CGC 9.9 copy did sell for something ridiculous like $44K which from my POV seems pretty much like crazy town to me. :screwy:

Perhaps it was a 9.9. I forget. Believe me I have tried to forget. If I had stupid money to throw around, it certainly wouldn't be ona transformers book in any grade. At the time, it felt like money laundering to me. Again. What do I know about what motivates people?

On 12/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, Randall Ries said:

I actually clicked onto this link here and I would have to say this eBay seller is most definitely doing his absolute best to denigrate the value of his book here which will most likely end up with him not receving any offers on the book at all.  :facepalm:  doh!

If he wanted to really sell this so-called overgraded book as he called it, he should have simply follow the battle proven and money winning Heritage model and claim that not only is it super rare in this grade, but also one of the absolute highest graded copies in the world and then equate it to the famed and much sought after Edgar Church pedigree collection of books.  Before you know it, you'll have the crazed CGC label chasing bidders throwing in wild and crazy offers and you'll see this copy here go for record setting high 3-figures, if not right into strong 4-figures territory.  :devil:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine