• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proposed New Rule for Sales Forum
3 3

116 posts in this topic

As almost exclusively a buyer, I agree.  There's a much higher potential for problems when you have someone listing books they don't actually have physically available to ship and have to depend on the actual owner to also follow through.  It's one thing for established businesses to act in this manner, it's another thing for individuals to do so.  I'm not sure how we can verify this, however.  Finding books listed elsewhere is a relatively easy proposition, but verifying that a seller physically possesses the book(s) - aside from the relying on the honor system - is a different kettle of fish.  Admittedly most of what we do here is on the honor system already so perhaps that's enough.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, topofthetotem said:

How about “buyer beware”.

Make your own judgements, read the fine print and understand what you’re getting into. 

Or....

Just don’t sell things you don’t actually have in your possession ^^

On 12/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Or....

Just don’t sell things you don’t actually have in your possession ^^

It should be common sense but it isnt with that said the world will never be made safe by rules alone so we shouldn’t abdicate our own responsibility to the will of others. 

As a buyer, I would like to know if the seller does not have the book in hand. Maybe instead of a hard rule that disallows the sale of something not in ones possession but maybe an indication like "consignment" someplace in the listing description or title?

Purchasing from certain vendors comes with knowing that they have personally inspected/graded the book. Over time folks who purchase here on the boards (or elsewhere for that matter) start to understand the nuances of each person giving a grade to the book.   

For one good example, the seller currently sells her late husband's comic book collection. The invoices were sent. The buyers had to pay the wife's PayPal account or mail the checks to her. The seller has provided the scans and has packed the books. I still received the books.

Is that a problem?

Edited by JollyComics

On 12/19/2021 at 5:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

EC10A094-3C54-4C15-B805-056D456CE74D.gif.7e27099abc00ebc69a26255d253dc03e.gif

There’s no good reason to allow the selling of books that aren’t in the sellers possession.   

Got your grades but the books won’t be back for another week?  No problem.  Just wait another week before listing them for sale.(shrug)

With our current QC crisis, it’s just common sense to confirm the condition of the slabs before offering them for sale. 

That is what we call an opinion. Others hold different views. Some will say that if we somehow managed almost twenty years of sales without the rule, it may not have been needed. 

If people used common sense, we wouldn't need 53 rules and umpteen sub-rules.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, JollyComics said:

For one good example, the seller currently sells her late husband's comic book collection. The invoices were sent. The buyers had to pay the wife's PayPal account or mail the checks to her. The seller has provided the scans and has packed the books. I still received the books.

Is that a problem?

You didn’t get any time with the new widow to fiddle with the “collection” in private. :shiftyeyes:

On 12/19/2021 at 7:48 PM, shadroch said:

That is what we call an opinion. Others hold different views. Some will say that if we somehow managed almost twenty years of sales without the rule, it may not have been needed. 

If people used common sense, we wouldn't need 53 rules and umpteen sub-rules.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine.  Call it a pet peeve(shrug)

Make a rule

Don’t make a rule

After “almost twenty years”.... I don’t care.:foryou: