• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proposed New Rule for Sales Forum
3 3

116 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, topofthetotem said:

Poor attempt at a joke on my part, sorry for the confusion. 

Either way I got it.  The rule of thumb,  two were successful out of ten comedy improvs.  Have gotta tried!

Edited by JollyComics

On 12/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I many times have sold slabbed books before I have them. I offer a 10% discount to buyers who wish to do that. What - if any - benefit is there to adding another rule here?

Vintagecomics has done that many times too.  I bought one without the image and waited for three weeks before I got it with a happy result.  That was a long time ago.

Wondered if he got suspended few times because of this unwritten rule (I know he argued too much)? hm

On 12/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, topofthetotem said:
On 12/19/2021 at 4:43 PM, JollyComics said:

For one good example, the seller currently sells her late husband's comic book collection. The invoices were sent. The buyers had to pay the wife's PayPal account or mail the checks to her. The seller has provided the scans and has packed the books. I still received the books.

Is that a problem?

You didn’t get any time with the new widow to fiddle with the “collection” in private. :shiftyeyes:

Jolly the Grinder..., :baiting: 

On 12/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, topofthetotem said:
On 12/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, lizards2 said:

Jolly the Grinder..., :baiting: 

No wonder he’s so “Jolly” 

Perverts usually are...., :acclaim:

pretty sure the reason this is coming up now is not dealers with long histories here who list books before they have them back from cgc. that's annoying but hardly a major problem.

it's  new boardies trying to sell books here without any kudos or much in the way of references also not disclosing that the books he/she/they/zhesyay is selling are not even in their posession, suggesting that they might be a scammer. as someone else here already said, buyer beware. if the seller does not have a history here or good references, then i do not buy from them.

i think a seller should have to disclose if it's a consignment. but there should not be a ban on consignments. 

On 12/19/2021 at 9:05 PM, alexgross.com said:

i think a seller should have to disclose if it's a consignment. but there should not be a ban on consignments. 

... this. 

For me, if it isn't someone like Donut who has honor, I'm not ordering if they don't have the books. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I don't think this needs a rule per se. Responsible sellers should probably make it upfront that this is the case.

But either way, if the seller isn't able to get the book, or the book doesn't end up as advertised, then the rules already handle what happens to sellers who cannot or do not uphold their agreements.

I’m okay with the rule, but like a lot of sellers here, my stuff is in my possession when selling.  Is it really that big an issue on the boards?  Guess I’ve never seen it…(shrug)

I can see the reasoning.

As for new rules - I'd like to see a 6 month timeframe from joining before you can sell books. No post count level, as that will just result in spamming.

It does seem to be the 'just got here' crowd who are causing the main problems (not that there are too many, as the board looks after its own) - just a thought.

2c

What about pre-sale on modern variants where there has to be a certain number sold to place an order?

What about supplies like Mylars and bags? 

What is ‘in the sellers possession’ mean anyways. Sometimes sellers have books in storage and they have to search for them or they are working off an inventory list. Not everyone can store comics where they live, they may be many miles away.

Then there are sketches, signings, and custom artwork sold here, is this included?

This is hard no for me. It is an unworkable rule

On 12/19/2021 at 8:05 PM, alexgross.com said:

pretty sure the reason this is coming up now is not dealers with long histories here who list books before they have them back from cgc. that's annoying but hardly a major problem.

it's  new boardies trying to sell books here without any kudos or much in the way of references also not disclosing that the books he/she/they/zhesyay is selling are not even in their posession, suggesting that they might be a scammer. as someone else here already said, buyer beware. if the seller does not have a history here or good references, then i do not buy from them.

Most of the people getting there britches twisted about the idea of a rule change have a point if and only if they are waiting on receiving their CGC books. If it’s their book, they can sell it. It’s pretty easy to verify grading notes etc to verify the book exists. 

some dealers, who are really more of a broker in the comic art market handle sales of the artists they represent and sometimes the art resides in the artist’ possession and has to ship from them to the dealer or client. That’s fine. 

but what’s not cool, and this happened in the original comic art market in the past was offering something for “sale” that you did not own and we’re not consigned to sell on anyone else’s behalf. What they were doing was fishing for a buyer at a certain price and if they caught one they took payment and used the money to buy the item cheaper from someone else and pocket the difference. They would even post scans of the art they did not own. It wouldn’t take much for a hustler to post books that are hot and if it sells go to a con they already priced out or LCS and buy the book after the fact. 

Another thing which is already happening in the comic art market is flipping items that you just won in HA, Comiclink, ComicConnect etc. they get posted for sale with scans from the auction at a decent mark up a couple days after the auction and it’s guaranteed the seller has not received that item from the auction house. It’s conceivable they haven’t even paid the invoice for the item. They may very well be hoping to use flipped funds to do it. Buy 5 things, flip four to cover the cost and the 5 item is “free” to them. All manner of schemes like this occur on a weekly basis in the comic art business. It’s part of the reason the market is so over-inflated just in the last 5 years.