• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So What's the big deal with Spider-man 2099 ( personally I liked Doom 2099 better inquiring minds want to know
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, WEBHEAD said:

I never really liked that run even though I bought the books.

Spidey 2099 volume 1 had above average Rick Leonardi art inked by :applause: Al Williamson. Doom 2099 volume 1 had a comparatively lower print run, and overly pretty art by Pat Broderick. Too much ASM: No Way Home movie end credit hype these days.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:11 AM, aardvark88 said:

Too much ASM: No Way Home movie end credit hype these days.

I had a feeling the thread title would be a spoiler for a film I'm only going to see a few months from now on Blu-ray.

Pretty much unavoidable.

And, the obvious first guess that it'd be movie hype causing a stampede for a very common book.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, aardvark88 said:

Spidey 2099 volume 1 had above average Rick Leonardi art inked by :applause: Al Williamson. Doom 2099 volume 1 had a comparatively lower print run, and overly pretty art by Pat Broderick. Too much ASM: No Way Home movie end credit hype these days.

Uhhhhhhhhhh

On 12/19/2021 at 8:16 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I had a feeling the thread title would be a spoiler for a film I'm only going to see a few months from now on Blu-ray.

Pretty much unavoidable.

And, the obvious first guess that it'd be movie hype causing a stampede for a very common book.

Spiderman 2099 is not in, nor referenced in No Way Home. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

But it's a first appearance though, I am surprised it hasn't been labeled rare in 9.8 like ASM 300 :eyeroll:

It's not a first appearance.  The first appearances were the Wizard comic and the ASM 365 not Spiderman 2099 #1

Am I right?  I think I am.  Saying this because I could be wrong. 

I bought up a couple of copies both raw and graded of ASM 365 for this reason. 

On 12/20/2021 at 5:55 AM, Buzzetta said:

It's not a first appearance.  The first appearances were the Wizard comic and the ASM 365 not Spiderman 2099 #1

Am I right?  I think I am.  Saying this because I could be wrong. 

I bought up a couple of copies both raw and graded of ASM 365 for this reason. 

#1 sorry, not first, it's 5am on the West Coast. Still trying to wake up lol

On 12/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, aardvark88 said:

Yes, but I think the point he’s making was that Doom 2099 was actually a pretty good read, unlike the other 2099 books.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:15 AM, Brock said:

Yes, but I think the point he’s making was that Doom 2099 was actually a pretty good read, unlike the other 2099 books.

Are we remembering Doom 2099 in a more favorable light since he was more directly connected to the contemporary Doom though while the rest of the characters with the exception of Miguel O'Hara have been shelved?

I liked the concept of Spider-man 2099 though.  Slightly different power set and Alchemix was later retconned into being related to Oscorp.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:37 AM, Buzzetta said:

Are we remembering Doom 2099 in a more favorable light since he was more directly connected to the contemporary Doom though while the rest of the characters with the exception of Miguel O'Hara have been shelved?

I remember buying all the 2099 first issues when they came out, and being open to collecting any of the titles. The only one that I stayed with beyond issue #1 was Doom 2099.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:32 AM, Buzzetta said:

Spiderman 2099 is not in, nor referenced in No Way Home. 

On the other hand, any demand spike for Spiderman 2099 probably is Into the Spider-verse 2 hype. Sorry, Across the Spider-verse!

Edited by Qalyar

Here's what's really important: (Because it is a two-parter, the interest should span through 2023 conceivably.)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One) is scheduled to be released in the United States on October 7, 2022, delayed from an initial April 2022 date due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Part Two is expected to be released in 2023, and a female-focused spin-off film is also in development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Across_the_Spider-Verse_(Part_One)

Spider-Man 2099 was written by Peter David, and was on-par with his other books at the time (to me, that's a good thing - I'm a fan).  

S-M 2099's 1st appearance might be a common issue, but I have rarely seen truly high grade copies in the wild.  The combination of black cover, hologram, oversized page count, and cardstock cover (but not squarebound) is a treacherous obstacle course of a path to a 9.8.  

Edited by djzombi