• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Rocket Copy & Tec 27 CGC 4.5
6 6

185 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 7:20 PM, pemart1966 said:

Any one know where this book was originally purchased?  Were there any other books found with it?

It was purchased right off the newsstands by a 13-year-old back in 1938.

I don’t think any other books were found with it since this isn’t a pedigree. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 12/20/2021 at 12:32 AM, Terry JSA said:

It was purchased right off the newsstands by a 13-year-old back in 1938.

I don’t think any other books were found with it since this isn’t a pedigree. 

That much I read in the description.  I was wondering in what city/town it was purchased and whether there were any other details around the book - e.g. is the original owner still alive? How did this book come to public light etc etc

Edited by pemart1966

I love the stamp, and the PQ is sweet, but if I were the sort of deep pocketed collector that could afford to chase this book, the amount of rust on the staples would give me pause. I have and have had some rusty staple books, but I didn't pay a 6.0 price for them. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:39 AM, rjpb said:

I love the stamp, and the PQ is sweet, but if I were the sort of deep pocketed collector that could afford to chase this book, the amount of rust on the staples would give me pause. I have and have had some rusty staple books, but I didn't pay a 6.0 price for them. 

Look at the area that looks like rusted staples. It looks like the paper quality to the right of N in Action.

If it were rusted, wouldn't CGC note it by default as "Rusted Staples"? Would a White Page comic not show signs of page deterioration along with rusted staples? I could be wrong.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:57 AM, pemart1966 said:

That much I read in the description.  I was wondering in what city/town it was purchased and whether there were any other details around the book - e.g. is the original owner still alive? How did this book come to public light etc etc

I wondered the same thing as well. No idea where this book came from but I doubt the person who owned the Action #1 (Rocket Copy) is still alive. 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Look at the area that looks like rusted staples. It looks like the paper quality to the right of N in Action.

If it were rusted, wouldn't CGC note it by default as "Rusted Staples"? Would a White Page comic not show signs of page deterioration along with rusted staples? I could be wrong.

I've seen surprisingly white pages with rusted staples, the same humid conditions that cause rust can preserve paper (as long as it's not so humid as to cause mold). I've also seen rust bad enough to migrate on the outside cover, but no where else on the book, as typically the most exposed part of the staple rusts first. 

I expect the grader's notes make mention of the rust, but it's one of the many areas where CGC sometimes falls short of mentioning critical information on the label itself.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:59 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

They would be ~95. Hey, Romita Sr. is still with us. He is around the original owners age.

I know John Romita Sr. is still with us, as well as Joe Giella. Both are respectively 91 and 93. I’m just saying not everyone lives into their 90’s and the chances with the original owner still being around is pretty low.