• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Rocket Copy & Tec 27 CGC 4.5
6 6

185 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2021 at 12:45 PM, Terry JSA said:

I know John Romita Sr. is still with us, as well as Joe Giella. Both are respectively 91 and 93. I’m just saying not everyone lives into their 90’s and the chances with the original owner still being around is pretty low. 

Especially married men lol

On 12/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, rjpb said:

I've seen surprisingly white pages with rusted staples, the same humid conditions that cause rust can preserve paper (as long as it's not so humid as to cause mold). I've also seen rust bad enough to migrate on the outside cover, but no where else on the book, as typically the most exposed part of the staple rusts first. 

I expect the grader's notes make mention of the rust, but it's one of the many areas where CGC sometimes falls short of mentioning critical information on the label itself.

"wear staple", but no mention at all of staple rust, for the record.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:10 PM, Qalyar said:

Here are the grader notes for the Slab, does note "Wear Staple" like you mention, but no rust.

CGC Cert #
Title
Action Comics
Issue
Issue Date
6/38
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
10/14/2021
Grade Category
Universal
Label Text
Rocket copy.
Art Comments
Jerry Siegel and Fred Guardineer story
Fred Guardineer and Bernard Baily art
Joe Shuster cover and art
Key Comments
Origin and 1st appearance of Superman.
1st appearance of Lois Lane and Zatara.
Grader Notes
1"" split bottom of spine
address/date/name stamp right top of front cover
chip out right top of front cover
crease & light stain top of back cover
light wear spine
wear staple

On 12/20/2021 at 3:45 PM, Terry JSA said:

I know John Romita Sr. is still with us, as well as Joe Giella. Both are respectively 91 and 93. I’m just saying not everyone lives into their 90’s and the chances with the original owner still being around is pretty low. 

He'd be/have been a little old for the Korean War draft, so he dodged a bullet there. Pun very much intended. :Rocket:

Does anyone here know of this book before it was graded in October?  Looks so familar that rocket. :Rocket:

Edited by Professor K

On 12/20/2021 at 2:32 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

1"" split bottom of spine
address/date/name stamp right top of front cover
chip out right top of front cover
crease & light stain top of back cover
light wear spine
wear staple

Nice looking 5.0

On 12/20/2021 at 2:32 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:
On 12/20/2021 at 1:10 PM, Qalyar said:

Here are the grader notes for the Slab, does note "Wear Staple" like you mention, but no rust.

Sounds as though you guys aren't up-to-date with respect to the CGC lingo or positive spin on negative defects.  :gossip:

Just like "maximization of potential" was and still is CGC's terminology for pressing, "wear staple" is now their new terminology for rusty staple.  :devil:

On 12/21/2021 at 12:35 AM, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you guys aren't up-to-date with respect to the CGC lingo or positive spin on negative defects.  :gossip:

Just like "maximization of potential" was and still is CGC's terminology for pressing, "wear staple" is now their new terminology for rusty staple.  :devil:

Really hm

Is rusted staples inevitable on this old of a book? 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:35 AM, lou_fine said:

there's a promise book coming with "multiple premarvel chipping back cover"

now that's an interesting way to frame things

fun with language! :applause:

On 12/21/2021 at 6:32 PM, woowoo said:

image.png.e5129e392610624d0a09ee4ee0e357c3.pngL'Oiseleur (The Bird Trainer) - $6.25 millionimage.png.9ae8f9c027e261e868dd24f650a0b389.pngMadame Alexander Eloise- $5 million

image.png.c7ebdf2fdc7b468d434d7b613b64416f.pngSteiff Louis Vuitton Teddy Bear - $2.1 million

Those prices aren't real are they? Nevermind just found that website. It's true doh!

Edited by Professor K