• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book collecting seems harder today then it was last year
3 3

57 posts in this topic

Finding good prices seems harder today then it was last year.  Do you feel the same way?  Here is my theory: I think Covid brought in a ton of new collectors / speculators who stay at home and are more tech savvy.  They monitor deals with multiple alerts and as soon as they see a good deal, it's snatched up.  I read a similar story last week about an Bored Ape NFT that got listed for sale at $3k instead of $300k due to "fat fingers".  It immediately got purchased by a "bot" programmed to find deals.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there with bots looking for comic book pricing mistakes as well on eBay or whatever.  

Prices have been ridiculous for quite a while now, out of reach for many modest-budgeted collectors.

I don’t think the barrier complications have changed much at all.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/21/2021 at 11:28 AM, comicjack said:

I feel sorry for the average collector looking to complete runs in this market. The search for good deals have just dried up as greed has taken over.I hate bidding on auctions now because you feel someone is always is pushing your bid up.I have switched to other genres that doesn't cause nose bleeding or empty pockets :cry:

I essentially have been priced out of collecting. No more pre code, no more GA Tecs..

On 12/21/2021 at 11:41 AM, lizards2 said:

It is amazing. I was trying to put together runs of carppy Marvel horror stuff like Dracula and Werewolf. I socked quite a few of those away, but recently, prices have just gone apechit. I get blown out of the water on every book on eBay. Last week, I did accidentally "win" a Dracula 63 in VF/NM when I mis-keyed a bid in the $5k range - luckily, I only had to pay $51 total (plus shipping) for that mistake. :p

I have decided to sit back and wait as I can see some prices coming down. I am not saying a market crash or even correction, its just cyclical and I believe buying opportunities are coming.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Finding good prices seems harder today then it was last year.  Do you feel the same way?  Here is my theory: I think Covid brought in a ton of new collectors / speculators who stay at home and are more tech savvy.  They monitor deals with multiple alerts and as soon as they see a good deal, it's snatched up.  I read a similar story last week about an Bored Ape NFT that got listed for sale at $3k instead of $300k due to "fat fingers".  It immediately got purchased by a "bot" programmed to find deals.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there with bots looking for comic book pricing mistakes as well on eBay or whatever.  

depends what you collect, it's not all equal. I finally found a Master Comics 95 at guide price and jumped on it. Was surprised it was still available on ebay.

Edited by William-James88

On 12/21/2021 at 8:46 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:
On 12/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, The Lions Den said:

As they say on American Pickers: "The time to buy it is when you see it..."   

That is not good advice. 

It really depends on the book, for sure. I've got some eBay alerts on the books I collect that are really tough (HG DC War), and sometimes I am rewarded, and sometimes I pay a premium.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:46 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:
On 12/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, lizards2 said:

It is amazing. I was trying to put together runs of carppy Marvel horror stuff like Dracula and Werewolf. I socked quite a few of those away, but recently, prices have just gone apechit. I get blown out of the water on every book on eBay. Last week, I did accidentally "win" a Dracula 63 in VF/NM when I mis-keyed a bid in the $5k range - luckily, I only had to pay $51 total (plus shipping) for that mistake. :p

I have decided to sit back and wait as I can see some prices coming down. I am not saying a market crash or even correction, its just cyclical and I believe buying opportunities are coming.

I am definitely laying off those titles I mentioned and will probably just sell what I've accumulated.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:32 AM, lizards2 said:
  On 12/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, lizards2 said:

It is amazing. I was trying to put together runs of carppy Marvel horror stuff like Dracula ...

It's been years since I read them, but I enjoyed reading (and Colan's art) the first 30 or so issues of the Tomb of Dracula - not great, but pretty entertaining.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:41 AM, NoMan said:

perhaps we'll get back to actually reading the f-ing books. All hail TPB!

The Powers that Be ?

FCrHG7GX0AI3CyP.jpg.2c34ed28d8c0e7c55c00a627c2fca666.jpg

On 12/21/2021 at 9:51 AM, grebal said:

It's been years since I read them, but I enjoyed reading (and Colan's art) the first 30 or so issues of the Tomb of Dracula - not great, but pretty entertaining.

The Powers that Be ?

FCrHG7GX0AI3CyP.jpg.2c34ed28d8c0e7c55c00a627c2fca666.jpg

Yes. I have connections.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Exactly.  What would a couple of guys who have become multi-millionaires using precisely that strategy know about it?

In fairness, I don't think they ever would've become multi-millionaires on their picking alone. And now that advice is further skewed by the fact they--well, Mike now--have cameras on them, so making a big purchase on a HTF item is good for ratings.