• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2022 collecting goals?
8 8

177 posts in this topic

To sell for profit and restrict buying to one show, or a coveted signing/sketch opportunity 

I am hoping to get a commission done in the next year or so, but keep blowing my budget on small books I can pass up, but don't. 

I need to learn how to save for larger purchases, because good books I want are passing me by as time goes on

To get my huge 'To Read' pile down significantly. And on the laughably minor goals, to complete my Malibu Mortal Kombat Komics Kollection. I've only got like 3 to get. It's just a matter of finding them at a decent price, when I'm ready to commit and hand over the cash. Right now my focus is a million miles away. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:05 PM, Galen130 said:

Very little.  I’ve been ‘put off my tea’ about the comic book industry these past couple years.  Even though I bought a few personal gems this year, I’ll do less next year…if anything.  I’d rather sell more of my Modern collection, just to get rid of inventory…so to speak. (shrug)

Okay, I’ve changed my mind a bit.  I would love the entire Twisted Tales mini-series in CGC SS format since I already have a signed #1.  This will be a bit costly, so I’m not going to kill myself next year trying to find them. 🤣🤣🤣

On 12/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, B2D327 said:

All Golden Age goals:

1 pre #100 red covered Detective Comics issue

1 yellow covered pre #100 Action Comics

1 GA Green Lantern book

Add as many Golden Age Fawcett comics to the pc as I can

By red colored, do you mean the logo block or the primary background color of the artwork?

Mrs. Donut and I are doing a huge house renovation, so many things are being sacrificed to the god of High End Appliances. So many slabs are going to Maine.

My consolation prize is keeping my Byrne Fantastic Four run, so I'd like to get the highest graded set. I need some signature series books or a random 9.9.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:37 AM, D84 said:

By red colored, do you mean the logo block or the primary background color of the artwork?

The primary background to both the Action and the Tec. Those colors seem to make their respective characters “pop”. An added bonus is the logos with the characters in a small circle in the upper left corner for me too

On 12/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, Galen130 said:

Okay, I’ve changed my mind a bit.  I would love the entire Twisted Tales mini-series in CGC SS format since I already have a signed #1.  This will be a bit costly, so I’m not going to kill myself next year trying to find them. 🤣🤣🤣

I have the entire run. Great series!

On 12/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, Djrodunchained said:

I think the most I've ever spent on a comic is in the mid $400s, so my main goal this year is to save extra money and get a comic in the $1000-$1500 range. I really want an Amazing Spiderman #9 in the best condition I can get for the price, so will probably hit up these boards when I have the funds ready and available!

After that, pull the trigger on other issues I like/want as I see good deals.

You can do it!  No better feeling than setting a goal, working for it then achieving.  Just make sure to enjoy the journey along the way.  Sometimes it’s better than the endgame.

For this year, my focus is more on completing runs (I have that curse) and lesser books. I was fortunate over the last 2 1/2 years to acquire some long sought key "grails" for me. Started with a GS X-Men #1 CGC 8.0, followed by MTU #1, Avengers #4 CGC 7.0 and HOS 92 CGC 6.5. The latest market prices are driving these up crazy. If I was a flipper, I'd be doing well. But, I'm not and these were books I wanted since I started 40+ years ago. 

This year, I'd like to focus on:

• 10 more issues of MTU (mid teens and 20's) to complete the set
  • 2 more issues of 1970's Adventure with Aparo "Spectre"
  • 12 more issues of Avengers to have from 100 - 255
  • 8 more issues of World's Finest in the low 200's to have from 200 to the end in the 300's
  • From a "grail" perspective, probably World's Finest #71. X-Men #1 is now well out of my hobby price range but still need #2 - #6 plus a smattering in the Silver Age.

What I'd like to find the discipline to do:

• Stop the endless upgrading. Just wrapped upgrading Conan set with an upgrade to #6. Maybe if I sold the books or sent books to CGC it would make sense...
  • Skinny the collection down. I have over 5500 books but there is a bunch of fodder from the 90's and 2000's. My top 35 books account for 30% of the value. (At least via OSPG... I know, I know.) Then I remind myself that The DC Comics Presents with the first He-Man used to be Dollar fodder... Thanks fully I kept that from when I originally bought it back in the day.