• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a fair warning for those taking threads off topic
8 8

358 posts in this topic

These threads are not life or death.  "No joking about" is silly.  A thread about losing 15 bucks on some comic purchase is not some morgue like issue that we should have to stay on topic about.  Seriously.

Edited by kav

On 12/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, kav said:

Kinda missing the old moderation to be honest.  These threads are not life or death.  "No joking about" is silly.  A thread about losing 15 bucks on some comic purchase is not some morgue like issue that we should have to stay on topic about.  Seriously.

You flip flop more than the footwear of the same name lol

I'll agree, this tactic is a bit bizarre, but in all honesty, is it really that ridiculous?

I'd rather have transparency like this, then receive 30 points with no explanation 

Change is GOOD. 

Maybe posters who were discouraged will start positing again

On 12/24/2021 at 9:25 AM, shadroch said:

Someone starts what I think is an interesting thread, and the next day i'm excited to see thirty or more responses only to open it and find twenty five of them are two members having a private joke.  Sometimes I think the cornfield might be too good for them. To paraphrase Kevin Costner- sometimes, you just got to drop them off at the train station.

Have you heard of the block function?

On 12/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, kav said:

Have you heard of the block function?

How are we to know what threads to block until we read them and realize it has sunk into another kav-hole. Maybe if the powers to be showed us who were the two or three biggest contributors to a thread it would be different but until I open a thread I don't know if it is a well rounded discussion of something meaningful or two members having a circle jerk. 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:50 AM, shadroch said:

How are we to know what threads to block until we read them and realize it has sunk into another kav-hole. Maybe if the powers to be showed us who were the two or three biggest contributors to a thread it would be different but until I open a thread I don't know if it is a well rounded discussion of something meaningful or two members having a circle jerk. 

Have you heard of the function where you can block the people who annoy you's posts?  I'd like to hear about this thread blocking function you mention tho.
No particular comedian is 'for everyone.  This does not equal ban all comedians.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, kav said:

Have you heard of the function where you can block the people who annoy you's posts?  I'd like to hear about this thread blocking function you mention tho.
No particular comedian is 'for everyone.  This does not equal ban all comedians.

A word to the wise is sufficent. 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:56 AM, shadroch said:

A word to the wise is sufficent. 

There are 2 types of people-those who are amused by life and like to joke around.  And those who are always dead serious and never crack a smile.  We see that here on the boards.
Why should one type get preference about how the other type behaves?  Isnt a wide range of different people good?  We are not bees in a hive.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:52 PM, kav said:

Yeah, I worried that this might mean you drift off to some Liefeld&Lee/impressionist art forum, and lizards2 might find himself participating on a sartorial website for lizard-curious fashions. And that then loss of all these active members might ultimately lead to the demise of the CGC boards.  But then rejected that idea for being crazy.

But 'what about blocking?' is what came to mind for me too.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:05 PM, grebal said:

Yeah, I worried that this might mean you drift off to some Liefeld&Lee/impressionist art forum, and lizards2 might find himself participating on a sartorial website for lizard-curious fashions. And that then loss of all these active members might ultimately lead to the demise of the CGC boards.  But then rejected that idea for being crazy.

But 'what about blocking?' is what came to mind for me too.

There are 4 people that annoy me.  I just block em.  I dont have to 'pile through' their posts in any given thread.  This is the simplest, easiest, most mature way to deal with the issue.  

On 12/24/2021 at 12:09 PM, kav said:

There are 4 people that annoy me.  I just block em.  I dont have to 'pile through' their posts in any given thread.  This is the simplest, easiest, most mature way to deal with the issue.  

I think you're fine Kav.  Unfortunately, a few folks are the "glass half empty" types.  I also appreciate and understand the advanced warning from Moderation.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:17 PM, HighRadArt said:

I think you're fine Kav.  Unfortunately, a few folks are the "glass half empty" types.  I also appreciate and understand the advanced warning from Moderation.

I've had coworkers that never smiled, were always bitter.  I just dont understand folks like that.
But I would never tell em they have to behave otherwise.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:02 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have noticed a group of people often going into threads and taking them off topic with nonsense postings.  This is disrespectful to the original poster and those that have contributed to the thread in a proper way.  There are bound to be off topic posts in threads.  That is part of what keeps this place fun.   However, when I see 60 to 100 posts, and only a few are on topic, this is not ok.  At this point, the person's thread is ruined. There are many that don't want to scroll through the kind of stuff I am seeing.  I have asked that a new tool be installed where I can ban people from a topic.  In the future, if I see this kind of behavior, I will use that tool.  If I see this moving to a different thread, I will use the point system to restrict the posting on the forum for those involved.  I am not opposed to having one nonsense thread in comics general, where it is ok to post whatever you want.  Other than that, this stops now, or I will make it stop. 

Here are 2 rules listed in the terms of use.

A notice, warning or violation may be issued to a user if he/she violates the rules with any of the following behaviors:

15.   Particularly excessive off-topic posting.

16.   Spamming the Boards with repeated or similar posts.

Amen, brother! ^^