• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Edition HARDBACKS .... the "Bookie" thread.
2 2

37 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2022 at 12:51 AM, asimovpulps said:

Amazing find and such a cool piece of history! This is the 5th printing of the First Edition, which is still quite a great book to have especially with the original dust jacket. Definitely worth quite a bit more than you paid :)

Here's a great resource showing how to identify the first 9 printings. http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?p=100746#p100746. Easiest way to note yours is the string of numbers "567890" with the first number indicating 5th. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information.  I tried looking at booksellers listings and the photos they provided to see I could match any.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:35 PM, Book Guy said:

I've had this printing before. Below are pics of the First. It's curious that this copy had a $5.95 price, but I seem to remember that from the 5th Printing copy I had as well. Note the 4th photo from the jacket rear flap. After some point, the address or company name changed here. Maybe they added a zip code-I don't remember. Anyway, I seem to remember that something changed. If your jacket is identical, they either used the original jacket image when reprinting this printing, or they had some old First Printing jackets lying around and just used them. I've seen that happen a couple of other times with books that had distinctive 1st impression jackets where the jacket appeared on later printings. The best example I've encountered was an 8th Printing of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD that had the 1st jacket on it. Probably it was released into the wild that way by the publisher. That was quite a find and I sold the jacket alone for a lot of money!

The First Printings were in blue cloth as shown. The 2nd Printing (stated as such) was also in blue cloth. When they changed to red boards, I don't know.

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

The address of The Chilton Company is different than the original on the back flap.  This was so cool to see a signed first edition of Dune.  Do you own different printings?

IMG_20220601_101454451.jpg

IMG_20220601_101725499.jpg

Just got this in the mail today. 

Picked it up for a reading copy but it’s in pretty nice condition, spine isn’t faded, unclipped and a first edition, very reasonably priced too.  

Unfortunately, while the seller wrapped in a bunch of bubble wrap, he didn’t pack in a box so now it has an nice impact ding along the bottom of the boards. 

Not a biggie for a reading copy, but kind of shame as it could have been slightly better. 

0515659D-8575-4C4C-97A1-1305864A205D.thumb.jpeg.a6495cdf8497c4cbfcfd9fa94cc57465.jpeg

Posted (edited)

This one here is kind of cool ... it is illustrated by Howard B.W.S. Pyle and written by his wife. The calfskin half binding is often deteriorated almost completely away. Just think, if you wanted some entertainment back then, other than the TV or Radio, you could read. Wait, they didn't have TV and Radio in 1887... unless you were off-planet. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

X8WjJ1i.jpg

PepkvyF.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

This one is not rare or valuable, except to me. It is, however, a 1st Edition. I snagged it, brand new, at the DAV Thrift Store, one of my favorite of all charities. It was a fantastic read, just as the inner leaf promised. I've yet to see the movie, but will. GOD BLESS ,,,

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

0bhrYrW.jpg