• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose in Slab?

11 posts in this topic

Hey all, this may be an odd question, but is it possible for a comic to be somewhat loose inside the actual CGC slab? Not literally loose, but for the comic in the inner sleeve to kind of jiggle around inside the slab? I was looking at a book and the seller let me know that it had this issue, and I'm trying to make sure if this is something that's maybe an uncommon but known issue, or if that's a significant red flag. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes possible 

fairly uncommon, but as uncommon as one would hope

if there’s no damage to the slab it’s probably legit.  However, some jiggling means it’s more possible damage occurred after slabbing.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:55 PM, revat said:

Yes possible 

fairly uncommon, but as uncommon as one would hope

if there’s no damage to the slab it’s probably legit.  However, some jiggling means it’s more possible damage occurred after slabbing.

Thanks so much for the response! I will admit, I'm a bit concerned, since it's a relatively high-dollar book (for me) at 9.8, and it'd be really crummy to get it re-holdered and find out it's down to a 9.6 or something. I suppose I'll need to think on it a bit.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Yale Stewart said:

Hey all, this may be an odd question, but is it possible for a comic to be somewhat loose inside the actual CGC slab? Not literally loose, but for the comic in the inner sleeve to kind of jiggle around inside the slab? I was looking at a book and the seller let me know that it had this issue, and I'm trying to make sure if this is something that's maybe an uncommon but known issue, or if that's a significant red flag. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm curious...is it a recent submission?

I've noticed with recently graded books I've purchased, I can tap the slab and move the book from one side to the other.

Or maybe it's just the inner case that moves around. There's def movement either way.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, lostboys said:

I'm curious...is it a recent submission?

I've noticed with recently graded books I've purchased, I can tap the slab and move the book from one side to the other.

Or maybe it's just the inner case that moves around. There's def movement either way.

I'm unsure. It's an online seller, so I haven't been able to hold the book in my hands. But what they've described is the inner case, the sealed Mylar sleeve or whatever it is, that's kind of sliding around a bit.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Yale Stewart said:

From my experience it's incredibly common for the inner well to move around or jiggle a little bit. Tiny knocking noise if you turn them from side to side, or shake them a bit if you're into that.

I've had many (nearly all?) of my books come back in a state that they're not entirely snug, unless they have the little plastic things inside holding them firmly in place (I forget what they are called - they are a few inches long and rounded top, and seem to clip the comic on the inside).  Without those, the book easily moves around (slightly) if the slab is tapped.  

And this is the cause of Shaken Comic Syndrome.  If there is significant movement from shipping, moving from one storage space to another, etc., the edges can get bumped and beaten.  

On 12/30/2021 at 7:12 PM, djzombi said:

I've had many (nearly all?) of my books come back in a state that they're not entirely snug, unless they have the little plastic things inside holding them firmly in place (I forget what they are called - they are a few inches long and rounded top, and seem to clip the comic on the inside).  Without those, the book easily moves around (slightly) if the slab is tapped.  

Those plastic things are called wedges, and they're used to stabilize the book when it doesn't fit snugly into the inner well... :gossip:  

I had about 25 books come back recently and mostly all of them have this issue to some degree. But, if you re-submit for mechanical error there is a disclaimer that you'll be liable for re-holder fees, shipping, return shipping and shipping insurance if the books aren't determined eligible for mechanical error submission.

The total value of the books is a few thousand. And it's a large package. So, that could really add up. Not sure if my books are eligible because the slabs are only slightly damaged, hard to even take a picture of.