• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,236 posts in this topic

In other news I'm finally getting some books back from CGC Lord willing, not that it took a long time for grading, just been a minute to send in. An Australian price variant is in the bunch!

I've seen it before. I couldn't tell you it was Faye Dunaway in it though, but I'm terrible with names. 

On the cover of 'Archie Meets The Punisher' they're at an event called the 'River dale High Sock Hop'. It's obviously a school dance, but what's with the name 'sock hop'? I've never heard that term before. Is it because I'm under 65?

On 6/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, Cat said:

On the cover of 'Archie Meets The Punisher' they're at an event called the 'River dale High Sock Hop'. It's obviously a school dance, but what's with the name 'sock hop'? I've never heard that term before. Is it because I'm under 65?

I think it's because, they "lose their blues, 'kick off their sunday shoes', and everybody cuts Footloose!" :banana: 

Old term but I've heard it, similar to the term "jerk" for someone who works in a malt/soda shop... that era.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think it's because, they "lose their blues, 'kick off their sunday shoes', and everybody cuts Footloose!" :banana: 

Old term but I've heard it, similar to jerk for someone who works in a malt/soda shop, that era.

So they hop their socks off? And old people complain about youths' slang.... 

On 6/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, Cat said:

So they hop their socks off? And old people complain about youths' slang.... 

I think it is easier to "dance" on tile or linoleum in socks, that was the style everyone leaned to the left and sllllliiiiiiidddde!

On 6/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, Cat said:

On 6/9/2023 at 8:25 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think it is easier to "dance" on tile or linoleum in socks, that was the style everyone leaned to the left and sllllliiiiiiidddde!

FB_IMG_1686350510202.jpg.6da3cfdb9a771c359c43de1278471c34.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Rebooted

On 6/10/2023 at 1:16 PM, ageofsilver said:

Oh, dear! You are all so very young. A sock hop was a dance gathering typically done in the school gymnasium. The floor was a varnished maple, upon which basketball was played. To keep the floor finish nice, we youngsters took off our shoes to dance. It made doing The Twist easier, as well. 

Ohhhhhh that makes sense. That all sounds so nice and quaint and..... innocent. Those days sound fun. 

On 6/10/2023 at 7:12 AM, Cat said:

Ohhhhhh that makes sense. That all sounds so nice and quaint and..... innocent. Those days sound fun. 

Lol and here I was. Thinking. It's what I said 😂 I left out the gymnasium doh!

That would have synced it together better. As that was the biggest place to also hold music or live band. Think Marty McFly's back to the future....

On 6/10/2023 at 10:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol and here I was. Thinking. It's what I said 😂 I left out the gymnasium doh!

That would have synced it together better. As that was the biggest place to also hold music or live band. Think Marty McFly's back to the future....

*cough* Never seen 'em *cough*