• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Declared value - over $400 ASM 300

25 posts in this topic

What is the policy for a modern book that it's value is over $400?  For example, assume I am submitting a ASM #300.  It's value is "probably" over $400. So if I have a bunch of other modern books that are under $400 and this one that is over, do I have to submit it separately?  I have heard you want to group your submissions all in the same tier.  Saves on time and shipping and such.  Do I just say $400 and move on?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

On 12/26/2021 at 12:05 PM, docbells said:

What is the policy for a modern book that it's value is over $400?  For example, assume I am submitting a ASM #300.  It's value is "probably" over $400. So if I have a bunch of other modern books that are under $400 and this one that is over, do I have to submit it separately?  I have heard you want to group your submissions all in the same tier.  Saves on time and shipping and such.  Do I just say $400 and move on?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

You do want to group your submissions within the same tier to save on return shipping costs (it doesn't save on time though).

The value is for insurance purposes though. If you write 400$ and move on (which you can), CGC only insures that book for that value. So if they lose it or damage it (has happened in the past) are you OK with getting 400$ back?

If yes, then you can submit them all within the same tier. Afterall, you aren't 100% certain it's worth more than that.

Edited by William-James88

On 12/27/2021 at 1:32 AM, William-James88 said:

The value is for insurance purposes though. If you write 400$ and move on (which you can), CGC only insures that book for that value. So if they lose it or damage it (has happened in the past) are you OK with getting 400$ back?

I'm not disagreeing, but since the tiers do reflect different/higher pricing for the service based on value, wouldn't CGC object to declaring a lower value? 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:15 AM, Rich Matist said:

I'm not disagreeing, but since the tiers do reflect different/higher pricing for the service based on value, wouldn't CGC object to declaring a lower value? 

If a given book is worth significantly more than the maximum declared value of the tier, CGC simply charges you the extra amount for the appropriate tier...no objections necessary.  :whistle:

If your ASM 300 garners a 9.0 or 9.2 or even a 9.4 then $400 is right in line. IMHO never assume a 9.8 on any book. If you are out of line CGC will contact you. Of course if you are seeking potentially faster service then of course use whichever level you like.

Edited by MAR1979

That is not the accurate way to look at it. Tiers reflect different services, and some books can only go through particular services. They have higher values because, based on insurance, they want to get to the more expensive books faster. More time in their hands means more time for issues and something to go wrong. But if you want your 300$ book as a walkthrough service to get it back asap, you can.

With a ASM 300, just go standard modern, odds are it's not worth that much more. And if ever it is so much more, they will let you know. It's good news either way.

I've been wondering the same thing. Do you think the tier level impacts the way the graders view the book, or are they able to remain objective (or are even unaware of the tier level the book was submitted under). I've got some books that I bought for less than $400, so I'm fine for insuring them for that amount since I'd get my money back if something ends up happening to them, but their FMV could be a bit higher than that amount depending on the grade. However, I'm concerned the graders will say, "Oh, he submitted under economy tier. Well, I'm on the fence of this being a 6.5 or 7.0, but I guess I'll give it the 6.5 since the customer is declaring it's worth less than $400." I'm getting ready to submit my first batch of books, so any help would be appreciated!

On 1/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, uvalusk said:

I've been wondering the same thing. Do you think the tier level impacts the way the graders view the book, or are they able to remain objective (or are even unaware of the tier level the book was submitted under). I've got some books that I bought for less than $400, so I'm fine for insuring them for that amount since I'd get my money back if something ends up happening to them, but their FMV could be a bit higher than that amount depending on the grade. However, I'm concerned the graders will say, "Oh, he submitted under economy tier. Well, I'm on the fence of this being a 6.5 or 7.0, but I guess I'll give it the 6.5 since the customer is declaring it's worth less than $400." I'm getting ready to submit my first batch of books, so any help would be appreciated!

Zero chance this is happening. 

This dialog was  very informative and helpful. One thing that I was hoping someone would touch on is, how or why is the declared value reflected in the price that I pay for my service and fees? For exmple, if I grade one comic at $22 with a declared value of $20, my grading fee shoots up to $42 for a single comic. Can someone explain the reasoning of this please. Thank you ahead of time.

On 12/27/2021 at 1:32 AM, William-James88 said:

So, my 1st of 6 batches have been returned to me! 

Just an FYI to confirm some of the above ... 2 of the submissions were ASM #361. Graded 9.6 and 9.8 respectively. I was contacted that the 9.8 exceeded the value threshold and I was charged for a higher tier of grading. Not so sure I agree with this approach -- but it is what it is.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, Rich Matist said:

So, my 1st of 6 batches have been returned to me! 

Just an FYI to confirm some of the above ... 2 of the submissions were ASM #361. Graded 9.6 and 9.8 respectively. I was contacted that the 9.8 exceeded the value threshold and I was charged for a higher tier of grading. Not so sure I agree with this approach -- but it is what it is.

This is very interesting, did the upcharge also come with the faster turn around time which should accompany the higher fee they charged you? Or was the charge more of a fine for not writing the correct value? And was it the exact difference of price between what you paid and what you should have paid?

Side note: this is kind of nuts, as I would never give a raw book a 9.8 grade, I leave that for CGC to judge.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, Rich Matist said:

I was contacted that the 9.8 exceeded the value threshold and I was charged for a higher tier of grading. Not so sure I agree with this approach -- but it is what it is.

I've seen people report a tier/charge increase based simply on the value of a book going up while sitting in the CGC warehouse for half a year.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:11 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I've seen people report a tier/charge increase based simply on the value of a book going up while sitting in the CGC warehouse for half a year.

so they are charged the price of a higher tier and do not get the service that comes with that higher charge/tier? If it was a fine, I might understand the logic since they are penalizing you for not abiding by their rules. Still, makes no sense when you don't know whether or not you'll get a 9.8, while a 9.6 is within the tier value range.

There is something really off here.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, William-James88 said:

so they are charged the price of a higher tier and do not get the service that comes with that higher charge/tier? If it was a fine, I might understand the logic since they are penalizing you for not abiding by their rules. Still, makes no sense when you don't know whether or not you'll get a 9.8, while a 9.6 is within the tier value range.

Apparently their Economy submission bumped up to the much more expensive Standard because the value of the book increased while in CGC's hands.

I don't remember the numbers because prices have increased at least twice since then.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 1/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, William-James88 said:

Lots of people, myself included, have been saying this since the start.  
"oops, this graded high, so we get to/'have to' charge you more."
No conflict of interest there at all.  Nope.  Nothing to see here.  

Edited by djzombi

On 1/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, djzombi said:

Lots of people, myself included, have been saying this since the start.  
"oops, this graded high, so we get to/'have to' charge you more."
No conflict of interest there at all.  Nope.  Nothing to see here.  

I don't think graders know what tier something was sent as, so they wouldn't grade it higher just so you pay more. And man, if that were the case, the sign me the F U C K up. I'll happily pay the bribe tier fee to make sure my book is worth over $400. Would have really helped out my Starslayer 2 which came back 9.6 for reasons I cannot understand.

I kinda did that bribe thing once too. I had a FF 5 that was between a 3.0-4.0 depending on how hard they would hit some flaws. I submitted it with the tier that would allow a higher value if it turned out to be a 4.0.But no dice, came back a 3.0

Anyway, dumb (but true) story aside, I don't think this is a conflict of interest both due to the "double blind" aspect of it and the fact that grades are verifiable after the fact and that 9.8s are still harder to get.

All of this is just a reply to your comment though, in no way am I understanding of them charging more nor think it's fair (since you are not recieving all the benefits that come with this extra fee and it isn't labelled as a fine) especially if the value of a book exploded after your submision date. That is just bonkers.