• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow, a CGC 9.0 with a partially detached staple?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I didn't realize a comic with a partially detached staple could ever get a 9.0 grade, but apparently it can! Crazy stuff. Seems like the staple could easily pop completely loose from just a mild shake or two.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0344132007/

Grader Notes light crease left top of front cover breaks color
light, multiple spine stress lines
staple detached top of back cover

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jharvey

On 12/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, jharvey said:

I didn't realize a comic with a partially popped staple could ever get a 9.0 grade, but apparently it can! Crazy stuff. Seems like the staple could easily pop completely loose from just a mild shake or two.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0344132007/

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not seeing it from this photo. It looks as thought it got all Hell pressed out of it but it doesn't appear to me about to pop.

I have seen staples where I could see daylight between the spine of the book and the arc of the staple. Not to be confused with the arc of the covenant. But the staple still had a good grip on all the pages.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:16 PM, Randall Ries said:

I'm not seeing it from this photo. It looks as thought it got all Hell pressed out of it but it doesn't appear to me about to pop.

I have seen staples where I could see daylight between the spine of the book and the arc of the staple. Not to be confused with the arc of the covenant. But the staple still had a good grip on all the pages.

Grader Notes light crease left top of front cover breaks color
light, multiple spine stress lines

On 12/26/2021 at 7:44 PM, jharvey said:

Grader Notes

The front and back cover are the same sheet of paper.  If the staple is detached at the "top of the back cover", isn't that the same as detached at the top of the front cover???  Wouldn't you write "cover detached from top staple"?

On 12/26/2021 at 8:23 PM, Randall Ries said:

Ah. Might have included the grading notes plus a shot of the back cover in the 1st place, yes? Nevertheless. Should have been a 7.0 green.

The link originally provided led you to the grading notes.  Looks like the suspect staple is more visible from the front of the comic than it would be from the back, judging by the placement.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:26 PM, Lightning55 said:

The link originally provided led you to the grading notes.  Looks like the suspect staple is more visible from the front of the comic than it would be from the back, judging by the placement.

The link originally provided led me to a disclaimer that said I needed to belong to a particular tier to be able to access them. Which I am not. The photo looks like a well placed staple to me. I have completely lost interest in this. Send it back with a note saying "I want this changed to a 7.0 green label."

Maybe the pre-grader thought it was detached but the finalizer determined it wasn't. And while you can easily add extra grader notes, it didn't used to be possible to delete notes from another grader, which would explain why the notes read the way they do. 

And RR, if the book had been Qualified for a popped staple, it would've still received a 9.0.

It does appear the cover may be starting to detach at the top staple, so my advice would be to keep this one in the holder and not subject it to any extra shipping and handling if possible...

On 12/26/2021 at 9:11 PM, Randall Ries said:

The link originally provided led me to a disclaimer that said I needed to belong to a particular tier to be able to access them. Which I am not. The photo looks like a well placed staple to me. I have completely lost interest in this. Send it back with a note saying "I want this changed to a 7.0 green label."

My apologies on the link. I didn't realize that not everybody could view it.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:22 AM, The Lions Den said:

Maybe the pre-grader thought it was detached but the finalizer determined it wasn't. And while you can easily add extra grader notes, it didn't used to be possible to delete notes from another grader, which would explain why the notes read the way they do. 

And RR, if the book had been Qualified for a popped staple, it would've still received a 9.0.

It does appear the cover may be starting to detach at the top staple, so my advice would be to keep this one in the holder and not subject it to any extra shipping and handling if possible...

Ah. There's my mistake. I am associating a popped staple with cover detached at given staple.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:54 AM, Randall Ries said:

Ah. There's my mistake. I am associating a popped staple with cover detached at given staple.

Honestly, the term "popped staple" seems rather generic these days, since there's a pretty wide variety of things that can be going on with the staples and cover detachment. In the case of the book shown above, the term "popped staple " really doesn't seem accurate, at least not from what I can see. 

I actually have a book that has a partial detachment of the cover at the top staple on the back cover, but it's still firmly attached:

SAM_3875.thumb.JPG.f4dcf6d31b815b82ca577350c30ec123.JPG 

This is just me, but if a cover is even partly detached from the staple, I would be profoundly disappointed at 8.0 or better. By popped staple, maybe they mean the staple wasn't firmly seated to the product, which I could see allowing in the 9's. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... as a proactive, problem solving type, might I suggest a "GLOSSARY OF TERMS" to facilitate the rollout of easily accessible grader's notes ?

On 12/26/2021 at 9:24 PM, Lightning55 said:

The front and back cover are the same sheet of paper.  If the staple is detached at the "top of the back cover", isn't that the same as detached at the top of the front cover???  Wouldn't you write "cover detached from top staple"?

A very good question...  hm

There are times where a book will be detached from either the front cover or the back cover only. This will often be visible from the inside of the cover, and it would primarily depend upon the placement of the staple or staples. Pre-graders would use a note like this to alert the finalizer because it's something that can easily be overlooked...

On 12/27/2021 at 4:38 PM, jimjum12 said:

This is just me, but if a cover is even partly detached from the staple, I would be profoundly disappointed at 8.0 or better. By popped staple, maybe they mean the staple wasn't firmly seated to the product, which I could see allowing in the 9's. GOD BLESS...

... as a proactive, problem solving type, might I suggest a "GLOSSARY OF TERMS" to facilitate the rollout of easily accessible grader's notes ?

hm

On 12/27/2021 at 4:42 PM, The Lions Den said:

There are times where a book will be detached from either the front cover or the back cover only.

If the staple is detached from the back cover, it has to be detached from the front cover also.  It's the same staple holding the cover, which wraps front to back.  The front cover is not independent of the back cover, doesn't have its own staple. 

It is physically impossible for a staple to be attached to the front cover and not the back, or vice versa. 

Unless the cover is completely split or torn from the top along the spine, all the way down past the top staple, where the front cover (now separated) is held on with the staple but the back cover is flapping in the breeze.  Thinking it won't be a 9.0, though.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

It is physically impossible for a staple to be attached to the front cover and not the back, or vice versa. 

It would seem that way, but I've owned several books where the paper is breached or torn on one side of the staple only, so that the cover on one side of the staple is still attached while the other is not. This happens more commonly on books where the staple is not centered on the spine. The tear almost always occurs on the reading edge of the staple, but not always. Pressing is not good for this type of defect, and probably creates the defect in some cases. GOD BLESS ... 

On 12/27/2021 at 5:35 PM, jimjum12 said:

It would seem that way, but I've owned several books where the paper is breached or torn on one side of the staple only, so that the cover on one side of the staple is still attached while the other is not. This happens more commonly on books where the staple is not centered on the spine. The tear almost always occurs on the reading edge of the staple, but not always. Pressing is not good for this type of defect, and probably creates the defect in some cases. GOD BLESS ... 

Sometimes there are defects that defy all the normal rules...  :whistle:

I've also had books where the flap of paper (that was still held under the staple body) was, itself, still attached to either the front cover or rear cover...like split parallel to the staple on only one side of the staple and for only the width of the staple, if that makes sense.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, Mystafo said:

I've also had books where the flap of paper (that was still held under the staple body) was, itself, still attached to either the front cover or rear cover...like split parallel to the staple on only one side of the staple and for only the width of the staple, if that makes sense.

That's what I'm talking about.... I once de-slabbed a gorgeous 7.0 only to find this flaw. This is one of several defects that can't be seen through a slab. Having notes is good for those who deslab, for example, if I knowingly had an 8.0 with this defect, I would NEVER remove it from the slab. GOD BLESS...

On 12/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, Mystafo said:

Absolutely...