• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Collecting Goals for 2022
3 3

77 posts in this topic

In 2021, I opted for the first time to establish a truly disciplined approach to my OA goals. I put together a powerpoint of all the art I'd like to own, pouring over all the books I love and the covers/splashes I found exceptional, from Flaming Carrot Comics to Dark Knight Returns and everything in between. Screenshots from Comixology, photos from issues and trades, and image grabs from CAF and elsewhere. Honestly, it was a wonderful experience to rediscover some storylines and dive a little deeper on titles I respected but hadn't taken time to fully soak up the art, to then evaluate my readings both through a critical lens and the warm embrace of nostalgia. The resulting effort is essentially a flip book of all the art I truly enjoy (at this time). So, in 2022, my pact with myself will be to limit my hunting/bidding/buying to those items in my flip book wantlist, while remaining opportunistic. The expectation is that 2022 will have less purchases but generally a higher price point. 

Pretty close to cloud cloddie...

I am looking to complete two stories and pick up more art by my favorites - check out my CAF http://cafurl.com?i=23828
1. 1971 BWS / Everett Kazar Astonishing Tales story
2. 1977 Sal Buscema Nova 11

I spent more than planned this year - did sell/trade to mitigate but still need to get better at culling the herd - when I look through my collection, I just like everything too much - but some of the prices are getting silly!

Happy Hunting!

Mark

This part of the hobby is so new to me, I’m just getting started. In December, I picked up my first OA ever which turned into 6 total and 1 more in the works. I blew all of my saved up fun money, so going into 2022 I’m going to be a little more selective and try and focus. Squirrel!

My goals are:
1. David Finch art (cover or interior) from The Darkness.
2. Add a cover to my collection from one the books I collected in the 90’s. 
3. Obtain pages from all the different artists who worked on The Darkness.
4. Optional, focus my collecting to the Darkness series, and character pieces for Venom and Archangel. Maybe Magneto, and Apocalypse, or Mr. Sinister. Oh, and any piece that really sticks out to me that I can afford. Focus, focus!  

edit: 5. I’d like to add a colored piece to my collection. 

Edited by Whisper
It never ends

Copy paste 2020 and now 2021 goals ... remove one, here are my 2022 goals :

- A nice X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page

- A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page

- A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats, Jet, Gen-Active ...) page

- A page from a fumetti

- Frame some pieces,

- Maybe commission a piece or two (I have a few ideas/themes in mind)

As always, the key is finding art that matches my tastes and my (small, by the forum standards) budget ... 

Moreover I find myself attracted to non-comic painted illustrations : book covers, ... so less time and money for comic art.

This is the year that I start chasing those leads I've always been afraid to. I'm going to continue shaking more trees, doing a lot more trading, and just get more creative raising funds for art. I'm going to have to stretch out that dollar so this may be the year I go all-budget pieces and not pick up anything for over $1k.

More RON LIM!

Ron Lim Silver Surfer splashes or covers from #19-65.

Ron Lim Captain America splashes or covers.

A 6th Coipel cover? Maybe a DPS?

Silvestri Wolverine or X-Men

Purves Hulk

Something from McGuinness, McFarlane Hulk or Spidey, Jim Lee, Art Adams, BWS.

Maybe another Kirby?

---

Basically just pasting my goals from last year, the only thing I got from it was more Coipel. But everywhere I branched out on new stuff turned out great.

Later this year I will restart my search for a Spider-man page from the first Spider-man book I ever picked up.

It's always been a matter of availability since I've not seen any of the pages even in anyone's CAF.

After a year and a half of not buying anything, due to COVID and moving, I'm back to looking for some awesome Mark Bagley New Warriors art. Also looking for a cool splash of just Nova and one of just Namorita. They have to be in a cool pose.

Have fun. 

Enjoy this as a hobby - avoid getting into investment thinking.

Buy art (published or not) from favorite artists (Buscema, McGuinness, Keown, Pelletier, Bennett, Weeks, etc.) 

Limit squirrel purchases to small fry stuff so that I can be ready when big fish swim buy - Art Adams, Byrne, McFarlane, Kirby, SA twice up, etc. 

Make a plan to thin the herd on collectibles that meant more to me in the past and use proceeds to fund things that mean more to me now. Put plan into action. 

Have fun. 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:52 PM, JadeGiant said:

Have fun. 

Enjoy this as a hobby - avoid getting into investment thinking.

Buy art (published or not) from favorite artists (Buscema, McGuinness, Keown, Pelletier, Bennett, Weeks, etc.) 

Limit squirrel purchases to small fry stuff so that I can be ready when big fish swim buy - Art Adams, Byrne, McFarlane, Kirby, SA twice up, etc. 

Make a plan to thin the herd on collectibles that meant more to me in the past and use proceeds to fund things that mean more to me now. Put plan into action. 

Have fun. 

Great advice. That's exactly what I do. Have FUN. I don't buy for investment. I buy what I like, published or not. If its sick then its sick and I go for it to put on wall and enjoy looking at it! I would love to add some more TMNT artwork this year to add to my wall. Specifically a Kevin Eastman piece, and some more Stan Yak. Even open to other TMNT artist if the piece is awesome!

Edited by eastbayrudy

After two years straight of heavy buying, spending more in either year than I ever had  in any year previous....I am taking a break.

Which is not the same as quitting. Nor liquidating. Just a break.

In 2022 I might not even spend 10% of what I spent the last two years, not exactly a goal but I can see it working out that way.

And I can live with that, but I'm certain the market will miss not only my winning bids but also my underbids :devil:

Edited by vodou
clarity

On 1/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, delekkerste said:

My biggest wish in this hobby is that NO art that I want turns up at auction this year.   

Not in the same tax bracket but have the same wish. 

I have most (if not all) of my 2021 acquisitions to scan, is that a collecting goal ?

I had to buy a new vehicle for sister last month so my finances will be severely limited for the next 5 years (but I hope to cut it down to 4).  Thus, I will have to drastically cut back on my commission collecting for the foreseeable future (unless it is too good to pass by).  Otherwise, I hope to add some more Official handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition villain pages to my collection.  Keeping it simple…for now.

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel