• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How will removing non-original staple affect grade?

12 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I have a CGC graded 4.5 Universal GA comic to which someone added two staples to the spine after manufacture (which originally had only the one), resulting in the label note:  "2 extra staples added after manufacturing."

The comic looks much better than a 4.5 with no creasing, tears, stains, tanning/foxing, etc. and only some very minor chips. I am wondering whether removing the two staples might improve the grade a half point or more.  Once the staples are removed, yes, the four additional staple holes through the spine will remain and affect the grade. But it does seem like the removal of about 1" of non-original metal from the surface of the spine should have some positive effect on the grade.  What do you folks think?

Thank you for your time and sharing your thoughts.

I don't believe it will improve the grade at all, but it will remove the note on the label.  @The Lions Den probably has more insight and I could be mistaken, but I assume they treat added staples like tape and grade the book as if it wasn't there. 

Another concern is, why were the Staples added? Would the centerfold or cover become detached without it? 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:09 AM, KCOComics said:

I don't believe it will improve the grade at all, but it will remove the note on the label.  @The Lions Den probably has more insight and I could be mistaken, but I assume they treat added staples like tape and grade the book as if it wasn't there. 

I can't say as I agree with it, but CGC has their own way of doing things...  (shrug)

Thanks for your replies.  Yes looked up the notes but no help there.  CGC did just change their stance on pieces reattached by tape.  If anyone has removed staples and had a book regraded, that would likely tell the tale.  Happy New Year!

On 12/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, curtisb said:

Thanks for your replies.  Yes looked up the notes but no help there.  CGC did just change their stance on pieces reattached by tape.  If anyone has removed staples and had a book regraded, that would likely tell the tale.  Happy New Year!

I was just curious if the book has other defects that put it in the VG range...  hm

On 12/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, Bumbo said:

This is what I was trying to say and likely did a poor job articulating it.  They grade as though the tape wasn't there. 

I was also wondering about this, as I just bought an issue of Strange Tales with about six "post-manufacturing" staples on it that were INCREDIBLY unsightly so I removed them.  Once I did that, leaving just the pinholes, the eye appeal improved greatly, and I hypothetically wondered if that would improve the grade in the eyes of CGC? 

Also, thanks for that link on tape.  I just sent in an Action #242 that only had the front cover, so I attached it with a little bit of tape and was wondering how that would be handled.  Also in that bunch is a Batman Vol. 1 #29, 39, 44 that all have tape down the length of their spines.  The #29 is in particularly nice shape aside from the tape!

On 12/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, curtisb said:

Hello All!

I have a CGC graded 4.5 Universal GA comic to which someone added two staples to the spine after manufacture (which originally had only the one), resulting in the label note:  "2 extra staples added after manufacturing."

The comic looks much better than a 4.5 with no creasing, tears, stains, tanning/foxing, etc. and only some very minor chips. I am wondering whether removing the two staples might improve the grade a half point or more.  Once the staples are removed, yes, the four additional staple holes through the spine will remain and affect the grade. But it does seem like the removal of about 1" of non-original metal from the surface of the spine should have some positive effect on the grade.  What do you folks think?

It won't change anything, The damage has been done according to CGC. I am surprised you got a 4.5. Removing two staples is further messing with the book and not only could a mishap happen, but it will simply be two unoriginal staples removed, leaving signs that they were once added. Don't mess with the book.

Thanks!  I got them decades ago as part of a collection I acquired and have just been sitting on them.  I sent in a bunch of GA stuff in this recent submission.  The #44 - arguably the most "collectible" for its Joker cover - is sadly in the roughest shape, with a large corner piece missing.  I'm still very happy to have a copy!    I'll be even more happy if it returns as a 2.0  :bigsmile: