• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Police Comics 1 - a book whose time has finally come

24 posts in this topic

I've been a fan of this book for a while and this record breaking price realized today seems to signal the book has finally arrived, after being one of the most undervalued keys for years.  I do wish I could have picked up this copy but my budget was way under the price realized.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 6.30.33 PM.png

On 12/27/2021 at 7:25 PM, aardvark88 said:

Where is all this 'new money' :butbutbutemoji: coming from? e.g. Flash Comics #1 slabbed 2.0 selling for $92k. Certainly not from the next round of fed stimulus in the USA and Canada that may be starting in Jan, 2022.

I don't know but I suspect new buyers, not old men like me haha

On 12/27/2021 at 9:25 PM, aardvark88 said:

Where is all this 'new money' :butbutbutemoji: coming from? e.g. Flash Comics #1 slabbed 2.0 selling for $92k. Certainly not from the next round of fed stimulus in the USA and Canada that may be starting in Jan, 2022.

When rubbing the magic lamp don't waste a wish asking how the genie got there. :gossip:

On 12/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, aardvark88 said:

People got money bro, you'd be surprised ......... :cheers:

...or at the very least, can trade up ( auction off) with the value in books they've held onto

Edited by fishbone

On 12/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, twmjr1 said:

Most every GA book, keys especially, has gone nuts in the past year it seems.

I've never seen prices spike this fast on such a broad spectrum of books. I've seen bigger spikes on books tied to movies that had been announced, but nothing across the board like this.

There's often a bit of a dip after the hype for a movie dies down, so we might see a similar dip. I don't expect prices to drop down to pre-Covid levels, but we might see them level off somewhere in the middle of what they were then and what they are now.

It probably makes sense to hold off on purchasing readily available books. I have some want-list books that show up so infrequently, though, that if one were to surface, I'd feel compelled to go after it despite the current high prices.

The one good thing about high prices is that they tend to bring some nice material out of the woodwork.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, catman76 said:

I will never understand why people get excited any comic is selling for insane huge amounts and that it is popular. I want everything I like to be hated and no one to want it so I can actual afford own stuff I want.

Ditto.  I'd love if comics crash, I'd go on a shopping spree :)

On 12/29/2021 at 3:08 PM, waaaghboss said:

Ditto.  I'd love if comics crash, I'd go on a shopping spree :)

I'm with you. A BIG crash would be fine with me. It would never hurt me because I've been at it for so long they would never go down far enough to get below what I've paid for most of mine. Those poor "Promise" buyers though...

On 12/29/2021 at 4:16 PM, catman76 said:

I will never understand why people get excited any comic is selling for insane huge amounts and that it is popular. I want everything I like to be hated and no one to want it so I can actual afford own stuff I want.

I mean, I hear you for sure! But speaking for myself, the *only* way I can continue to buy GA books is by selling previously bought ones, so I always hope their values will grow. If I can't sell... I can't buy.

Police Comics #1 is a killer book. Lots of origins and killer art. Way under appreciated for years.

I have to say, though, I much prefer Plastic Man #1. Starting with the absolute killer Skull cover. Also lots of Plaz by Jack Cole. 4 full stories. It probably gets a little more love because of the cover but still a bargain. 

Same with Batman #1. I much prefer it to Detective #27. Bat #1 is all Batman and has the first Joker and Catwoman. A lot better read for a dime. 

complasticman1.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

On 12/27/2021 at 6:34 PM, atomised said:

I've been a fan of this book for a while and this record breaking price realized today seems to signal the book has finally arrived, after being one of the most undervalued keys for years.  I do wish I could have picked up this copy but my budget was way under the price realized.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 6.30.33 PM.png

Totally agree this book has been undervalued. There are 44 copies on the census and it's a 1st app of a well known character. I imagine several of the deep pocketed collectors have been looking to add a copy for some time and struggled to find one.

Edited by dinesh_s

On 12/27/2021 at 9:34 PM, atomised said:

Awesome, now let's get started on the rest of whole run lol.  Especially with that movie coming any day now and all. 

Edited by path4play

On 12/27/2021 at 6:34 PM, atomised said:

I've been a fan of this book for a while and this record breaking price realized today seems to signal the book has finally arrived, after being one of the most undervalued keys for years.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:13 AM, Terry JSA said:

$11k seems like a very good deal for a Police Comics #1 graded at a 2.5 since it’s a book you don’t see often. 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:03 PM, Mmehdy said:

Police #1 is a solid buy...room to grow...good call

On 12/29/2021 at 5:03 PM, Robot Man said:

Police Comics #1 is a killer book. Lots of origins and killer art. Way under appreciated for years.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:32 PM, dinesh_s said:

Totally agree this book has been undervalued.  There are 44 copies on the census and it's the 1st app of a well known character.

Needless to say, in 110% agreeement with all of the boardies above since I have stated before that Police Comics 1 was surprisingly a highly under appreciated and undervalued key GA book.  Maybe this is a sign that it's finally going to have its day in the sun after being in the shadows for the longest while relative to virtually all of the other GA keys.  :applause:

Although this book is most well-known and deservedly so for the origin and first appearance of Plastic Man, for the GA purists here, it's also the first appearance of Phantom Lady who would go on in the later 40's to gain much more fame with Fox Publications in terms of Baker's classic GGA version of the femme fatale heroine.  Absolutely love this book and lots of runway left to go on Police Comics 1 here, as I feel that it is the go to flagship book of the entire Quality Comics Group publishing line.  :luhv:   :takeit:

Although there are indeed 44 copies of this book in Universal unrestored condition, it should be pointed out that this book is extremely tough to find in grade with only 2 copies in CGC 9.0 and above and only another 2 copies into the CGC 8's.  My bet is that if the Church CGC 9.4 single highest graded copy which had a few wishy washy sales in the $30K's price range from 2006 through to 2014 came back into this crypto like marketplace today would probably have no problem approaching or possibly even hitting 6-figures today.  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine