• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I looking at replaced staples?

5 posts in this topic

I don't believe so. There is a discoloration on the lower staple that appears to have transferred to the page. I guess that could happen with a replaced staple. 

I'm not a pro, but I don't see anything alarming. I would be curious if others spot something I don't. 

I agree with what has been said and will add this

If someone was to replace staples, why would they do so? Only reason I would see is that the original staples were rusty. If that were the case, you would likely find rust spots on the centrefold or along spine where the rusty staples make contact with the book. Also, the fact that if someone were to replace staples, why would they replace them with stapes that look like they already have some rusty or discolouration to them? Those staples appear to have some discolouring to them. If replaced, I would suspect the person doing it to use an era correct staple that was clean.....

For these reasons, I do not think they are replaced. Rather the staple has torn through part of the cover leaving that rips and leaving the cover loose. Common on older books and often denoted on CGC grade books in the VG to Fine range