• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone else find it insulting that the value of our hobby is completely driven by other media?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

People like what they like for whatever reasons they use to get there. Perhaps the larger impact of the types of things you are referring to is how much readily available the information is to the entire public. So yeah-- in a media focused culture-- it will impact things more so than established knowledge or rational thought processes.

I would not find it all that upsetting. personally as it tends to help raise the value of all our collections (for however long it continues). It might make some silly things out priced from reality but give it time and short of it becoming camp-- it will come back down.

On 12/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, Bumbo said:

Taskmaster was popular way before the MCU 2c

I agree with this. (I’ve always liked Taskmaster.)

BUT… when people thought Taskmaster MIGHT BE IN A MOVIE the price of Avengers 196 suddenly shot up from around $1,000 to around $3,000! Then when people decided that movie Taskmaster was lame, the book sank like a stone to around $900.

I kind of think my point still stands.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, Ryan. said:

None of your thesis applies to large swathes of the Golden Age, which has seen tremendous growth the last two years. 

You make an excellent point.

I love that about Golden Age books.

Yes I find it extremely annoying that a show/movie makes books increase in popularity. I dont understand why a character being cast has anything to do with whether a book/character is desired or not. I enjoy comic characters based on the comic books I read, not tv shows or movies. To me seeing them on the big screen is just a bonus. 

To OP’s question, no the new drivers do not bother me. But the lost/diminished drivers you cite do (content-driven drivers besides first appearances). Only because I can’t help but believe that if no one consumes the content then it’s a bad thing long-term. That said, if enough people find said content though TPB reprints and digital format, collecting of originals may well hold up much longer than all the usual doomsayers predict. 

Of course, fictional characters can always be given new life. But the long-term trajectory of, for example, a character such as Tarzan suggests popularity can and does peak. Keep it about enjoyment rather than investment to mitigate the stress, but of course that’s hard to do when stuff you bought cheap years ago is worth a small fortune, as is the case for many collectors.

Myself, I'm thrilled that many characters have become more popular among the masses due to the movies. That this translates to more value regarding certain comics is no surprise to me and I'm not the least bit offended by it. Whatever helps keep the medium afloat is just fine with me.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:38 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

Myself, I'm thrilled that many characters have become more popular among the masses due to the movies. That this translates to more value regarding certain comics is no surprise to me and I'm not the least bit offended by it. Whatever helps keep the medium afloat is just fine with me.

Agreed, the long term good of the hobby is what is most important. If a byproduct of that is a significant increase in the value of my collection. Gravy...