• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone else find it insulting that the value of our hobby is completely driven by other media?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, William-James88 said:
On 1/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, valiantman said:

The first appearance of a popular character is STILL the leading factor.  A character appears (or is rumored to appear) in other media, and it's the first appearance that sees its value driven up.

The REAL problem in this hobby is when the 667th appearance of a character in their own title is worth more than the 1st appearance of the same character.

That would be insulting to every single person in this hobby, except the one pumping that 667th appearance as legitimately worth more than its weight in gold.

Which book are you referring to?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/a/7244-94088.s

On 1/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, Good_News_Comics said:

The auction says it ended on June 18, 2021 (shrug)

The page said it looked like they were accepting offers...?  I dunno, I don't have much experience with Heritage at all.  I guess they have a function where you can offer to buy it from the winner..?  Excuse my ignorance.  

I want to add that even Marvel books still increase in value due to traditional, non-MCU standards. 

Very recent examples:

Amazing Spider-Man (current series) #55 commands a large premium due to its cool cover.  

Immortal Hulk shot up in value very soon after the series started due to its cool storyline.