• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Dealers & Collection Buyers…
2 2

23 posts in this topic

What’s the likelihood you would pay over $100k for a collection with some of these highlights? Worth noting that only 562 of the roughly 1278 comics have been graded. Most of these have no values assigned or identified in the market (e.g. mid or high grade copies of an issue that haven’t sold online), so the collection should - in theory - be worth more than what’s listed (and I was not about to plug in an OSPG value).

This also fails to account for how many have been signed and sketched on by the creators (eg dpuble signed and sketched SS TMNTs 1-4, almost all SA Marvel keys signed by Stan Lee, etc.).

I’m not fishing for offers; just trying to get a feel for where the market is these days since I’ve been a little less active on the movements.

image.thumb.png.6a0140505f5b59bb2c7008bee1cba588.png

image.thumb.png.ac5c582baf495fe410d02048bcee0dcb.png

If the graded books are 170K (and that comprises just under half the total books), 100K isn't out of the question at all.   You've got some big books there too (AF15, FF1, X1, TMNT1) that you don't need to take much of a haircut on a resell.  

Would need to see the full list but, based on that quick summary (with some of those books) I wouldn't settle for less than 100K.  What are the other Spidey's?   Ditkos?  Is there a 50 in there?  300?  etc..  or just random BA/CA books?   What about the FF's apart from the 1?  Is there a 5?  etc... 

The values shown in the top 5 books seems pretty fair if not a bit low for the few I checked.  If the ungraded books have some keys or minor keys then the $100K sounds like a great price for the set (assuming full retail is about $200K after everything is added up).  I'd not let people see your purchase price since they could haggle you down since you netted so much profit.  It shouldn't really matter but it could hurt your negotiations. 

Edited by 1Cool

On 12/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, chrisco37 said:

If the graded books are 170K (and that comprises just under half the total books), 100K isn't out of the question at all.   You've got some big books there too (AF15, FF1, X1, TMNT1) that you don't need to take much of a haircut on a resell.  

Would need to see the full list but, based on that quick summary (with some of those books) I wouldn't settle for less than 100K.  What are the other Spidey's?   Ditkos?  Is there a 50 in there?  300?  etc..  or just random BA/CA books?   What about the FF's apart from the 1?  Is there a 5?  etc... 

I have a full run of ASM 1-320, X-Men 90 - 300, Batman 400-520, and then there are the golden age books in there (Tec, Action, Bats, Supes) that aren't mentioned. As far as FFs, I have 48-50 and 52 for the other keys -- never snagged a 5 in time. 

Honestly, I went in hard for blue chip books up until around 5 years or so ago. Not too much in the way of moderns, but I have some as well. There's very little about my collection that's random -- all very focused and chockfull of keys and semi-key books. The handful that aren't worth much are probably the ones I carried over from childhood and they're not adding much to the value ;) 

On 12/29/2021 at 12:37 PM, 1Cool said:

The values shown in the top 5 books seems pretty fair if not a bit low for the few I checked.  If the ungraded books have some keys or minor keys then the $100K sounds like a great price for the set (assuming full retail is about $200K after everything is added up).  I'd not let people see your purchase price since they could haggle you down since you netted so much profit.  It shouldn't really matter but it could hurt your negotiations. 

Yeah, I hear you. On the other hand, by the time I begin to look at eventually selling off, the purchase price differential will be about 20 years. I won't be disclosing that info per se, but I don't know if that argument would hold :P 

On 12/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, Mac Man said:

I have a full run of ASM 1-320, X-Men 90 - 300, Batman 400-520, and then there are the golden age books in there (Tec, Action, Bats, Supes) that aren't mentioned. As far as FFs, I have 48-50 and 52 for the other keys -- never snagged a 5 in time. 

Honestly, I went in hard for blue chip books up until around 5 years or so ago. Not too much in the way of moderns, but I have some as well. There's very little about my collection that's random -- all very focused and chockfull of keys and semi-key books. The handful that aren't worth much are probably the ones I carried over from childhood and they're not adding much to the value ;) 

The  problem, as I see it, is most dealers are well stocked with books like Spiderman 150-320 so except for a few books like 239, 252 and 300 there isn't a lot of value to them. Same with X-Men after Bryne left.  You've got a lot of nice books and I can see it goingfor 100K or more to the right person but a lot of those less expensive books are worth more to collectors than dealers.  If I already have 50 copies of X-Men 176 and sell three a year, what is a 51st copy worth to me.

I think if this collection were mine all slabs would go to Heritage and the Raws would go to the dealer with the best offer if I were looking to liquidate quick. If not all the keys would go to Heritage and everything else would go in an eBay store. I don’t think I’d bulk sell slabbed keys like that unless it were an absolute emergency. Either way if you have any unslabbed keys I’m not sure I’d bother sending them to CGC right now. 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:41 PM, shadroch said:

The  problem, as I see it, is most dealers are well stocked with books like Spiderman 150-320 so except for a few books like 239, 252 and 300 there isn't a lot of value to them. Same with X-Men after Bryne left.  You've got a lot of nice books and I can see it goingfor 100K or more to the right person but a lot of those less expensive books are worth more to collectors than dealers.  If I already have 50 copies of X-Men 176 and sell three a year, what is a 51st copy worth to me.

Totally hear you, but the value CLZ lists doesn't include them. So, for all intents and purposes (whenever I do sell off), I'd basically be look for close to full market value for the major keys and then the rest thrown in for pennies on the dollar. After all, shops may have a lot of those books but it's not without a reason -- they sell all the time. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, dupont2005 said:

I think if this collection were mine all slabs would go to Heritage and the Raws would go to the dealer with the best offer if I were looking to liquidate quick. If not all the keys would go to Heritage and everything else would go in an eBay store. I don’t think I’d bulk sell slabbed keys like that unless it were an absolute emergency. Either way if you have any unslabbed keys I’m not sure I’d bother sending them to CGC right now. 

Totally understand that. I expect that if I were to parse things out, I'd likely realize much higher gains on the big books - lower grade or not, there's a desire to get a ticket to the ballpark and even the cheap seats are always competitive and never truly cheap. 

The only challenge is then - as you point out - you have to set up an alternative for the other things. On their own, I know they won't do much and will linger around. I think when the time comes, I'll probably want to move as much at once as I'm able while realizing a good return on the bigger ticket items. 

On 12/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, Mac Man said:

Totally hear you, but the value CLZ lists doesn't include them. So, for all intents and purposes (whenever I do sell off), I'd basically be look for close to full market value for the major keys and then the rest thrown in for pennies on the dollar. After all, shops may have a lot of those books but it's not without a reason -- they sell all the time. 

Those are very realistic expectations. If you want max value, offer the lower value books here. You''ll get 25 cents on the dollar.