• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gunslinger Spawn #1 damaged at cgc, now they say to expect a lower grade..
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I purchased a gunslinger spawn #1 signed and signature series graded from legacy comics.  They sent it direct to CGC and CGC sent it directly to me.  It was graded at 9.8, slabbed, and sent in the mail to me.  When I opened the box, the comic had slipped out of the inner holder and the bottom of the cover ripped (actual slab is in perfect shape still).  I contacted CGC immediately and they set me up to return it under mechanical failure.  I was under the impression (after Todd's post about replacements) that CGC would somehow rectify this since it happened before I ever even saw the book and it had already been graded at 9.8.  I reached out for an update, and after a few weeks finally heard back to be told that they were pressing it, and couldn't guarantee the same grade.  Don't they have insurance for such a high value book?  Do I just wait and hope it's magically taken care of?  It doesn't seem right to me that it would come back lower and just be on me to accept that.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. If your book was damaged while it was here in the office and we can verify that damage happened here after it was graded, then we would certainly make that right with you.  Generally, we will first try to rectify any issues, if possible, through pressing.  If the issues cannot be pressed out then we would reach out to you regarding the next steps.  

Without knowing the specific details of your book, I cannot advise you on what the final outcome will be in this situation but if you would like to email us the details, we can check further into that and let you know.  You can email us at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thank you!

On 12/31/2021 at 10:59 AM, Gaard said:

If it was graded as 9.8, and the cover was ripped when it arrived, how can there be any doubt that the damage occurred after it was graded?

My thoughts exactly.  And the slab wasn't cracked or damaged in any way.  I guess I just have to wait and see unfortunately.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:59 PM, Gaard said:

If it was graded as 9.8, and the cover was ripped when it arrived, how can there be any doubt that the damage occurred after it was graded?

ah, that is only the second part of the "if", the first part

On 12/30/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jennifer F. said:

If your book was damaged while it was here in the office

• Administrator

Hello, 

The grade is only visible under the original certification number.  We don't change the certification number when you send it back for a correction.  You'll need to look it up under the original number of 3960036001.

Thanks!