• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mondo Poster Thread
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I know, it's not comics but close enough...  I recently bought my first home and am decorating an area with vintage movie posters and Mondo Posters.  I'm still learning about Mondo Posters and thought this might be a good topic to start.  i.e. What is the exact definition of Mondo Art? Does it have to be published by Mondo Studio's to fall in Mondo art or is it popular enough that style has transcend Mondo Studio's only?  I noticed that there have been some high sales on Heritage for non-Mondo Studio's, Mondo-like posters.  There are some really cool Posters I'm interested in however I'm little hesitant to pull the trigger with some of the high prices.  Input welcome in regards to opinions on Mondo art as a long term purchase.

Edited by Xenosmilus

I believe there is a thread in the comic art section for Mondo posters. I have quite a few myself. I think the overall feeling is they are not what they used to be. Now I get more from Hero Complex Gallery and Bottleneck than I do Mondo. Much bigger selection and they don't sell out in 5 seconds. 

I've seen some people call the Mondo type of limited poster Mondos. But all they are, are large format screen prints or serigraphs. As wombat mentioned there are other galleries that also sell posters in the same format as Mondo these days. And they are easier to get than Mondo posters because they don't have the Mondo name or are open editions for a limited time period. Flippers aren't interested in that.

Mondo isn't what they used to be a few years ago though. I haven't purchased a poster from Mondo in years. I do like the artist of that Man Thing poster. I remember there was a companion Swamp Thing poster as well. I thought about getting those. I'll probably eventually get a poster from the artist as he makes a lot of horror posters and did the art for the Trick R Treat vinyl record I own.

I believe Mondo released a few larger editions that aren't screen prints. Long term recommendation is to store these prints flat as they are on a thicker paper and will be more difficult to flatten the longer you keep them in their tubes. Also the paper used to wrap the posters isn't acid free.

Also for value go after the special variants like foil or glow in the dark editions. The popular properties. Or posters from popular artists like Tyler Stout, Olly Moss, Martin Ansin, or a few others. I would attempt to get those as soon as possible as they will go up and keep their value.

Here are some places that might help.

https://expressobeans.com/

This has a database on prints / posters with tracking sales. You can check for artists and see what was released. Although they don't list everything. Also a forum is there. But like many it isn't that active anymore. I would only lurk anyway and see what is released every week.

Most probably moved to Facebook groups and they do private poster commissions there. You can check Instagram as well. But both are bad sites to me. I don't have an account and they don't work well.  So I check if an artist has twitter or a personal site.

It's good to subscribe get emails from whatever gallery be it Bottleneck, Hero Complex, Grey Matter, 1988, etc. to see what they release every week too.

https://alternativemovieposters.com/

Another site with galleries of poster artwork and a place to purchase.

We talked about limited posters and Mondo on the forum here.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/430484-comic-prints-limited-open-edition/

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/460863-mondo-event/

Went to a couple events at the Mondo Gallery in Austin, wish I had bought one of the Batman posters when they did that event in May of 2019, but alas I did not.

I did however get the Goon one when Eric Powell did the World Tour in 2019.  One of the guys in line that bought OA (requirement for the tour pin) ended up with 2 of the pins and gave me one.  It is on my cork board of pins.

No description available.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, Crops068 said:

Went to a couple events at the Mondo Gallery in Austin, wish I had bought one of the Batman posters when they did that event in May of 2019, but alas I did not.

I did however get the Goon one when Eric Powell did the World Tour in 2019.  One of the guys in line that bought OA (requirement for the tour pin) ended up with 2 of the pins and gave me one.  It is on my cork board of pins.

No description available.

Awesome :):shy: I've only recently discovered interest in goon, after passing on a 1st cameo I believe lol I missed it big time.

NOW I'm Considering the character a treasure. Looks good in the frame too.