• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2022
3 3

245 posts in this topic

29-38 Cat woman Vol 5 (Ram V). Decent story, nothing to write home about. Art was pretty good.  I liked it, stopping there at 38 as the writer and arc is changing and I only wanted to read it for Ram V.

109-118. Batman vol 3 I really liked the art. The story was pretty good imo. 

1036-1045 Batman Detective Comics Vol 3. They changed artist mid way through this batch to Viktor Bogdanovic and wasn’t a fan. They keep changing the artist every couple of issues which is annoying but ,most where good. The story was okay. Typical modern story, nothing that wowed me but it was effective.

30 Comics

29-38 Cat woman Vol 5 (Ram V). Decent story, nothing to write home about. Art was pretty good.  I liked it, stopping there at 38 as the writer and arc is changing and I only wanted to read it for Ram V.

1036-1045 Batman Detective Comics Vol 3. They changed artist mid way through this batch to Viktor Bogdanovic and wasn’t a fan. They keep changing the artist every couple of issues which is annoying but ,most where good. The story was okay. Typical modern story, nothing that wowed me but it was effective.

Swamp Thing Vol 7 (Ram V) #1-9

Spider-Man Life Story annual 1

Moon knight vol 9  #1-6

House of slaughter #1

Batman The Long Halloween Special One Shot (2021)

Fantastic Four Life story #2

Total
49/1000

Edited by sevans1979

On 1/24/2022 at 10:16 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Just finished reading Cerebus #60.

20% through now...

Cerebus_loading_20.jpg.1564dafaea1b79ff548d8f6dd97fccef.jpg

High Society was a fun story arc with my favorite characters being Lord Julius (spoof of Groucho Marx) and Duke Leonardi (Chico Marx) with some funny repartee back and forth.

I love cross-hatching and there's plenty of it in Dave Sim's Cerebus art.

Cerebus45_20220122-211609.thumb.png.69535018fd50ad7d485ea9ca4089c672.png

There was an ad for a Near Mint Cerebus #1 for $225 in the back of Cerebus #46.  Interesting that prices were so high way back in 1983.  I need to find and look through my Overstreet #13 to see what else you could have bought for $225 in 1983...

Cerebus meant so much to me as a kid and young man. Dave's personality sorta soured me on the title over time, but I finished it off. Haven't touched it since then, so I'm probably overdue for a re-visitation. There were times when the book got pretty slow, but the high points are very, very high indeed. High Society and Church and State would represent the high points to me, for sure.

Read my first 6 comic books of the year yesterday.

Both Haunt of Horror series, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft. I wasn't expecting black and white interiors, but that's what they are. The artwork is 'wonky' until the creepy stuff happens, and then it just feels right. I was not expecting their actual stories to be printed in the comics, so those inclusions make these very good IMO.

Overall, great Modern Horror comic books.

I'm off to a bit of a slow start, but I know I'll never make it to 1,000 comics in a year unless I lose my job or retire. But I do enjoy keeping track of what I read. 35 total so far this year.

First up, I finished up the Doctor Aphra omnibus that I started last year. Overall, I enjoyed it. My only complaint was her interactions with the Emperor and Vader were over the top, after the first encounter between her and Vader which was really good. It was fun to follow this type of character and her ongoing poor choices. A little blah in the middle, but it got really good again at the end. If anyone is reading the new Aphra series, please let me know if it's any good.

20220123_135228.thumb.jpg.15cd33391326e9c4e05e9decdeaa71d9.jpg

I read the original House of M series last year. I like the storyline, and this one was a nice addition. Nothing Earth shattering, but entertaining and a quick read if you like House of M.

20220201_070408.thumb.jpg.1b6f5e24d44dfc944bad283bea3c4184.jpg

DCeased was either a recommendation from here or the MCS newsletter. I'm not a DC fan. I've probably read fewer than 20 DC issues or TPBs in my life. I read Forever People last year (and it was awful), so at least I knew what the anti-life equation was. I don't think the main DCeased storyline was as good as Marvel Zombies, but I really enjoyed Unkillables. I ended up reading that book in one sitting. There's another DCeased TPB coming out soon, so I added it to my want list.

20220130_195231.thumb.jpg.836f123514b09b44d59b06df91485bd7.jpg20220202_173646.thumb.jpg.06ef78bb4bfe02f15a68897a4c0541fd.jpg

I'm already falling behind, but I think I can catch up. 62 comics so far, mostly very recent issues (The Death of Doctor Strange mini was great), but I have been trying to catch up with Jason Aaron's current Avengers run. Just finished #38. I have to say, I think I liked the Age of Khonshu arc a lot more than many people. I'm surprised at all the flak it got. I do feel like the run was treading water after the first arc, but once the Starbrand arc kicked off, I started to really enjoy the book again.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Read my first 6 comic books of the year yesterday.

Both Haunt of Horror series, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft. I wasn't expecting black and white interiors, but that's what they are. The artwork is 'wonky' until the creepy stuff happens, and then it just feels right. I was not expecting their actual stories to be printed in the comics, so those inclusions make these very good IMO.

Overall, great Modern Horror comic books.

Those would be the Richard Corben comics, I think?

Great stuff. Classic horror artist.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 to 7

Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire Vols 1 to 3

Reprints of a series that ran in the UK’s Ranger, and Look and Learn magazines, just two pages per issue. The stories are okay, readable enough, but it’s the art that’s most memorable, by one of the country’s most revered comic artists, Don Lawrence.

The-Trigan-Empire-Vol.2-Revolt-in-Zabriz

trig1.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

Books 7-16:

• Fantastic Four #48-50
  • Fantastic Four #120-123
  • Fantastic Four #242-244

Some silly stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's. It was nice to finally read Galactus' introduction, which was a great story overall. The latter stuff has more-refined artwork, but worse plots. "I will leave if you give me my ship back." lol

On 1/17/2022 at 5:09 PM, sevans1979 said:

Swamp Thing Vol 7 (Ram V) #1-9

Spider-Man Life Story annual 1

Moon knight vol 9  #1-6

House of slaughter #1

Batman The Long Halloween Special One Shot (2021)

Fantastic Four Life story #2

Total
49/1000

Update

Flash Vol 5 #777, 778

Ice cream man #27, 28. Loving this series  so weird yet each issue pulls me in.

Defenders vol 6 #5 5 issue mini  Meh glad it’s over

Moon knight Vol 9 #7 Great Art, good story. Liking this one

Death of dr strange #4, #5. Not a bad 5 issue mini  

Hulk vol 3 #3. Still on the fence with this. Might give it a few issues.

Batman Vol 3 119, 120 Great Art, Great writer! (Love Williamsons work).

Venom vol 5 #4 same as the hulk  not hooked yet.

Saga #55  it’s Saga, what more can you say  great double size issue after a crazy three year break  love this book. BKV said in the letter section this will go to 108 issues!

Newburn #3 Not a bad little crime book  I like Chip Zdarskys work but I’m not 100% sold on this one yet

Nocterra #7. Love the art (Tony S Daniel) and I like most stuff by Scott Snyder. Great book 

64/1000

On 2/3/2022 at 8:39 PM, Ken Aldred said:

5 to 7

Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire Vols 1 to 3

Reprints of a series that ran in the UK’s Ranger, and Look and Learn magazines, just two pages per issue. The stories are okay, readable enough, but it’s the art that’s most memorable, by one of the country’s most revered comic artists, Don Lawrence.

The-Trigan-Empire-Vol.2-Revolt-in-Zabriz

trig1.jpg

I've not read these, but man, that is gorgeous looking stuff!

On 2/5/2022 at 11:02 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Finished reading through Cerebus #90.

30% through now...

Cerebus_loading_30.jpg.ad6accf5911fbd8960e128fc5f27d268.jpg

Gerhard started doing the backgrounds with issue #64 and the art is beautiful.

Cerebus68_20220126-213005.png.19e0c4706b35c400948d2a8787562348.png

The storyline can be a bit slow or hard to follow at times but I'm enjoying the journey.

Gerhard's arrival really raised the game for Cerebus. The stories can get a little dull and drawn out, but the book never looked anything short of fantastic.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:02 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Finished reading through Cerebus #90.

30% through now...

Cerebus_loading_30.jpg.ad6accf5911fbd8960e128fc5f27d268.jpg

Gerhard started doing the backgrounds with issue #64 and the art is beautiful.

Cerebus68_20220126-213005.png.19e0c4706b35c400948d2a8787562348.png

The storyline can be a bit slow or hard to follow at times but I'm enjoying the journey.

Hey! You're reading Cerebus! Although it's very rough to read at times, I loved Cerebus. Gerhard's backgrounds are beautiful. I thought it was slow at parts until I got to maybe the last 3 or 4 books. Omg those dragged, but it's worth it.