• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2022
3 3

245 posts in this topic

29-38 Cat woman Vol 5 (Ram V). Decent story, nothing to write home about. Art was pretty good.  I liked it, stopping there at 38 as the writer and arc is changing and I only wanted to read it for Ram V.

109-118. Batman vol 3 I really liked the art. The story was pretty good imo. 

1036-1045 Batman Detective Comics Vol 3. They changed artist mid way through this batch to Viktor Bogdanovic and wasn’t a fan. They keep changing the artist every couple of issues which is annoying but ,most where good. The story was okay. Typical modern story, nothing that wowed me but it was effective.

Swamp Thing Vol 7 (Ram V) #1-10

Spider-Man Life Story annual 1

Moon knight vol 9  #1-6

House of slaughter #1

Batman The Long Halloween Special One Shot (2021)

Fantastic Four Life story #2

Flash Vol 5 #777, 778

Ice cream man #27, 28. Loving this series  so weird yet each issue pulls me in.

Defenders vol 6 #5 5 issue mini  Meh glad it’s over

Moon knight Vol 9 #7 Great Art, good story. Liking this one

Death of dr strange #4, #5. Not a bad 5 issue mini  

Hulk vol 3 #3. Still on the fence with this. Might give it a few issues.

Batman Vol 3 119, 120 Great Art, Great writer! (Love Williamsons work).

Venom vol 5 #4 same as the hulk  not hooked yet.

Saga #55  it’s Saga, what more can you say  great double size issue after a crazy three year break  love this book. BKV said in the letter section this will go to 108 issues!

Newburn #3 Not a bad little crime book  I like Chip Zdarskys work but I’m not 100% sold on this one yet

Nocterra #7. Love the art (Tony S Daniel) and I like most stuff by Scott Snyder. Great book 

Department of truth 1-5

Swamp Thing Green Hell #1

71/1000

I need to get my butt in gear and get reading 

On 2/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, kccoig14 said:

Got a good chunk of The Sandman read.  I figured with the show coming up I would pick it up again from the start. Also read the rest of The Witcher series, it was alright. Read through the whole series of The Damned. I enjoyed it. I wonder if Cullen will ever pick up where he left off with it. Also started rereading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I read the first two volumes about 15 years ago, read 1910 and then didn't have any desire to pick up anything else from Century.

I read the first two volumes at the end of last year, and while I enjoyed it all, I kinda decided I'd had enough of that for the moment.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, kccoig14 said:

My favorite issue from the month of January has got to be Human Target #4. I don't want to give away to much of the plot but the subtle development of a relationship through this book is something I haven't read/ seen in comics in awhile. I know people either hate or love Tom King, but he's been killing it with this book as well. And the art is so good and very fun to look at. 

I'm a bit out of date on my DC Universe stuff (like a decade or two), so I'm wondering whether I need to be "in the know" to read this, or whether it stands on it's own.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Books 17-26:

• Something is Killing the Children #1-10

The writing for issue #1 was unrealistic, including the principal cursing and whining to a student, but the 'realism' in writing and dialogue really picks up after the first issue. I wanted to finish the series this weekend, but laziness - among other things - occupied my time, instead.

Definitely recommended for those who like horror/mystery or who may be on the fence.

It's not my usual cup of tea, but one of my friends from the local comic shop recommended it, and I've really been enjoying it. My daughter also started reading it and likes it a lot.

So, 23 issues in January, let's see what's on the "read" pile that hasn't been reported.

The Oracle Code - call it 7 issues

Actually forgot to list this last time. A Christmas gift from my daughter, not quite what I expected, but still a good read.

Strangers in Paradise Vol 3 #1-5

Continuing from last month, this time the Image issues. I think I agree with creator Terry Moore, SiP works better in black and white. Still head and shoulders above most stuff out there. To repeat from last month, if you haven't read this book, what's wrong with you, dude?

FCBD Enter the House of Slaughter, The House of Slaughter #1-5

Set in the world of Something Is Killing the Children, this gives us a bit more background on both one of the supporting characters from SIKTC, and, well, the House of Slaughter. Liked the main title better, but this was still pretty good.

Crossed + One Hundred #1-18

I haven't read any of the other Crossed series, but with it being set 100 years later AND being written (at least at first) by Alan Moore, I figured it was worth a read. And it definitely was. Maybe there were some things that I missed having not read any of the earlier stuff - and I may go back and read some of it, particularly the original Garth Ennis parts - but I think it stood very well on it's own.

Black Hammer Reborn #9

Still enjoying this one, interested to see where Jeff Lemire takes this. (Yes, that is a direct cut-and-paste from my last update)

Seven Secrets #1-12

Yet another friend from the local comic shop had to open his big mouth and recommend a book, and I don't know whether to love him or hate him. Because I definitely love this book, not that I need to be buying yet another title. This one has it all - ancient secret societies, forbidden love, sword fights, doomsday weapons, intrigue and betrayal, battle royales and combat by trial, snappy dialogue and huge cliches that somehow work. I'm really hooked, and really bummed that I will shortly have to wait a whole month for a new issue. Haven't been this stoked for a book since my daughter and I started reading Saga back during the lockdown.

So, if I've counted correctly, that makes a total of 60 for the year.

Need to step up my game....

89 comics so far this year. Did some random reading while on the road.

Wolverine: The End TPB: I recently read Hulk: the End, and I really enjoyed it. There was an ad for this series, so I gave it a try. It was poorly drawn and poorly written. A real disappointment, especially compared to other Jenkins books. Not nearly as good as Old Man Logan.

Hey Kids! Comics! TPB #1: a fictionalization of the comic publishing industry based on real people and some some real personalities in the business. Overall, an enjoyable read. Enjoyable may not be the right word, as it is a pretty dark history/fictionalization. Chaykin's artwork is inconsistent at times, and that, combined with the flipping through decades, makes the story hard to follow at times. But good enough to give volume 2 a try.

Firefly New Sheriff in the 'Verse HC #1: As with the rest of the Boom Firefly comics, the story is decent but the artwork is not as good as the Dark Horse comics. I still have trouble reconciling how this fits into the timeline between the original TV series and movie, so I'll need to look into that later.

Mythos: X-Men #1: great one-shot. I'm a fan of Paolo Rivera's style, and Jenkins did a great job reintroducing the team. I know they made a bunch of these (e.g., Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man), but I don't know if I like those characters enough to invest in the one-shots. I'd like to see them do more of these.

20220313_112213.thumb.jpg.f868fab360b0b6f47c9f0ad745d065b6.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 4:15 AM, LudaToke said:

Does anyone find that reading in this manner takes away from the flow and joy of it?  It feels like it would be a different experience that just sitting, unwinding and reading what I enjoy every day.  

1,000 comics is less than 3 a day on average. That's 30-45 minutes. So it is a bit of a goal, but nothing all that arduous. 

On 3/14/2022 at 2:18 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I saw the Director's Cut of the Watchmen movie back in the day before I read the graphic novel.

What are your thoughts on the ending? I personally like the ending in the movie better, although I know that opinion is somewhat blasphemous to some.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:23 AM, ComicFill said:

What are your thoughts on the ending? I personally like the ending in the movie better, although I know that opinion is somewhat blasphemous to some.

I understand why other people think that the visceral nature of the squid's appearance and catastrophic death are important, but I think that's overblown. Yes, it takes up many panels in the comics. Yes, it's horrifying. Does the gruesome nature make it any more horrific than arriving to a crater where NYC used to be? Not so sure about that.

Something worth considering is whether or not Dr. Manhattan's involvement in destroying many cities around the world is convincing. Some say "no", because he was working with the American government, but I'm not so sure considering that New York was also decimated.

For me, it's kind of a wash. I like both endings.

Books 61-63:

• Lost Girls #1-3

I understand the controversy of this series. It's a bizarre experience. The elements that are good are simply likeable, but the elements that are bad are down right hate-able. It's an interesting take on adapting erotica using novel characters. I am glad to have read through it, but will I ever read it again? Doubtful. It's worth owning for reference's sake, so I don't necessarily regret the purchase.

93 comics this year. This week I enjoyed some random issues that have been sitting in my "to read next" box.

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: A Matter of Some Gravity: this comic was delightful. I had the pleasure of meeting Don Rosa many years ago at a con, and the displeasure of getting the lecture about his work not being DuckTales. I really enjoyed this comic and laughed a few times. I would like to track down some of Rosa's hardcover compilations. This was a fun read.
20220313_185552.thumb.jpg.c4bb5b4cd7d891263a5db05aeb023fa7.jpg

Wolverine vs. Blade Special #1: great one-shot. It's what you would expect - Wolverine and Blade chopping up a bunch of vampires. Great art, good banter, nice twist in plot.

20220322_063602.thumb.jpg.8f0792202ebdb17fcc20c715aba212c8.jpg

Punisher Meets Archie #1: My first Archie comic ever. I'm not sure why I picked it up. I guess it was fine? I know there are some Archie fans here. I'd like to get a recommendation on an Archie book that could show me what all the Archie love is about.

20220322_063612.thumb.jpg.0ec1b7dddd0f41cccf35812e2d9ed8d4.jpg

Incredible Hulk Last Call #1: nice fill in story, or one-shot for intermittent Hulk readers like me. Peter David on the Hulk rarely misses. Short and sweet.
20220322_063622.thumb.jpg.20bb4dbbd2398b0bd6825ed4a3a8e193.jpg

98 comics this year.

Firefly: New Sheriff in the Verse Vol 2: Unfortunately, the series continues to decrease in quality. The series started pretty strong with great dialogue and characters that fit in with the original series. As the series goes on, the plot gets sillier and the art is really uneven.

20220324_061901.thumb.jpg.f26956e821717437fa26b039e0c1f308.jpg

On 3/10/2022 at 11:14 PM, ttfitz said:

I read the first two volumes at the end of last year, and while I enjoyed it all, I kinda decided I'd had enough of that for the moment.

I'm a bit out of date on my DC Universe stuff (like a decade or two), so I'm wondering whether I need to be "in the know" to read this, or whether it stands on it's own.

Just in case anyone hasn't answered this for you yet, you can go into this without having read anything recently. It's been getting better and better, I highly reccomend it.

Books 8 to 135  

JSA  (128 in total)...

JSA Secret Files and Origins 1, 2

JSA Our Worlds At War one-shot

JLA JSA Secret Files and Origins 1, continued in

JLA JSA Virtue and Vice GN

JSA All-Stars 1 to 8

JSA Annual 1

JSA 1 to 76

Justice Society of America 1 to 26

Justice Society of America Annual 1

Justice Society of America, Kingdom Come Special Superman, Magog, and The Kingdom 

Justice League of America 8 to 10 Lightning Saga tie-ins, 11, 12

Hawkman 23 to 25 Black Reign tie-ins

A very consistent and highly-readable series by Johns and Goyer.  Lots of great stuff; sequels to Zero Hour and Kingdom Come, the introduction of Johnny Sorrow in a quite bizarre Lovecraftian story, Injustice be Done, Stealing Thunder, time travel stories in which the modern JSA visits ancient Egypt, and also teams up with the Golden Age version in the 1940s, Black Reign and the start of Black Adam's Kahndaq saga, and lots of quality shorter stories throughout. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

108 comics so far this year

Witcher Vol. 6: Witch's Lament: my least favorite Witcher series yet. I'm not a fan of the artwork style and the story just wasn't as engaging as the previous books. I didn't like the storyline overall, especially in the middle, but, to the books credit, it did pick up a bit at the end.

20220401_140723.thumb.jpg.fefb1c60cf3595a991f50417de7f06b9.jpg

Infinity Gauntlet: another classic that I just never read until now. Perez's artwork is fantastic, as you'd expect. The first few pages have some pretty incredible spreads. Storyline-wise, the book suffers a bit from what I see when lots of different Marvel characters come together - a smushing together of different types of beings and cosmic entities that just doesn't make sense to me. That aside, there were some interesting interactions (e.g., Hulk and Wolverine) and some unexpected plot twists. Overall, 4/5 stars.

20220401_140745.thumb.jpg.7450e81a2d571a326476aa3e0abb2f92.jpg

20220401_140745.jpg

On 4/2/2022 at 1:27 PM, srezvan said:

108 comics so far this year

Witcher Vol. 6: Witch's Lament: my least favorite Witcher series yet. I'm not a fan of the artwork style and the story just wasn't as engaging as the previous books. I didn't like the storyline overall, especially in the middle, but, to the books credit, it did pick up a bit at the end.

20220401_140723.thumb.jpg.fefb1c60cf3595a991f50417de7f06b9.jpg

Infinity Gauntlet: another classic that I just never read until now. Perez's artwork is fantastic, as you'd expect. The first few pages have some pretty incredible spreads. Storyline-wise, the book suffers a bit from what I see when lots of different Marvel characters come together - a smushing together of different types of beings and cosmic entities that just doesn't make sense to me. That aside, there were some interesting interactions (e.g., Hulk and Wolverine) and some unexpected plot twists. Overall, 4/5 stars.

20220401_140745.thumb.jpg.7450e81a2d571a326476aa3e0abb2f92.jpg

20220401_140745.jpg

I’d maybe consider reading Thanos Quest as well, which leads into it.

Finished reading through Cerebus #180.

60% through now...

Cerebus_loading_60.jpg.5be94c8f728b71ce2868db303758280d.jpg

Mothers & Daughters storyline is a welcome change with more action and pretty much a continuation of the themes from Church & State.  I suppose I should wrap the art with story details in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Cerebus158.thumb.jpg.71b005e7ad72db4a412501a8b4824ca5.jpg

Artemis' PunisherRoach is the most entertaining version yet. lol

Cerebus_PunisherRoach.jpg.2ff6b1b85791d21206a3101db1bcb842.jpg

The occasional humorous Lord Julius (Groucho) appearances are always welcome.

Cerebus151_LordJulius.jpg.926266579c5faabe86710c37f7bd7f31.jpg

The various threads of the long storyline are coming together for a conclusion.

:popcorn:

Just got back from Korea on 7 April after 9 long months so here is my 1st post of my reads for 2022. I got a lot of catching up to do but my wife picked up my pull list monthly so I should be good for the rest of the month.

2/1000

Hell Sonja 1-2

75A67D11-02BA-420B-B5B6-28B786AC93CB.jpeg

16059A1F-14EA-4F26-A524-1EAA71CF1E4B.jpeg

Edited by RayJr