• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Tax Reporting ($600 Threshold per year) and Consignments
21 21

587 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 6:54 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I cannot state this enough - everyone worrying about this is overthinking it. Call your tax guy.

Well, there is worrying about it because one is overthinking the math, and then there is worrying about it because the payment to the IRS will go from $0 to several thousand. 

On 1/3/2022 at 8:02 PM, manetteska said:

Well, there is worrying about it because one is overthinking the math, and then there is worrying about it because the payment to the IRS will go from $0 to several thousand. 

If you're going from $0 to several thousand you've been significantly under reporting your income and I hope you enjoy Leavenworth. Again, call your tax guy.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:37 PM, Beige said:

How do you show you bought a book back in the , say 1980's from a store and now you are selling and its worth say $1000?

answering your question in a practical manner, you do not have to actually show it to them.  as the airborne pastry said (and he knows more than me about this guaranteed) you are only dealing with aggregate income so they just want the tax form filled out (income, costs, profit) and not a box of receipts.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, FlyingDonut said:

If you're going from $0 to several thousand you've been significantly under reporting your income and I hope you enjoy Leavenworth. Again, call your tax guy.

Correct (to the under-reporting, not necessarily Leavenworth). 

Many view the buying and selling as a hobby and don’t consider it (or know about the reporting laws) when it comes to tax time. Now the low threshold for a form is forcing them to find out and with the exponential prices seen on many keys it will be interesting times.

I've been putting side 10% of my sales to cover taxes and it works well.  As people keep reminding everyone, you only pay tax on your profits and your profits are sales minus expenses. You can make a good faith estimate for things you don't have receipts for. If you regularly sell your books, traveling to and from your local comic shop might be a deductible event. 

On 1/4/2022 at 12:28 PM, Bird said:

answering your question in a practical manner, you do not have to actually show it to them.  as the airborne pastry said (and he knows more than me about this guaranteed) you are only dealing with aggregate income so they just want the tax form filled out (income, costs, profit) and not a box of receipts.

Thanks - but I guess I'm asking is there a length of time of ownership when the book becomes 'tax-exempt'?

Again with a home 12 months of owner-occupation removes all capital gains tax when you sell it - regardless of when you bought the house.

You just have to have lived in it for 12 months.

I don't see how someone who has kept a book for 40 years and then sold due to retirement should pay tax the same as a flipper who bought the book 3 months ago and then sold pre-movie.

Currently in Aus, if you own (don't quote me) something published prior to 1970 OR paid less than $600 for the item - you don't pay capital gains tax.

To change that to taxing every cent over $600 in sales profit over a year will have huge ramifications - hence my question.

Interesting times ahead.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:20 AM, musicmeta said:

ok, then it's two long boxes of drek. LOL.

Screw it…every key I sell comes with a long box of my 1985-1995 baseball cards….that’s a legitimate loss right there! Greg Jeffries and Jerome Walton rookies for er’body!!

Seriously though, one of my concerns is the uncertainty around “proof”. Hardly anyone in this hobby, or any hobby for that matter, prints off eBay/CLINK/Heritage wins (“receipts”) or makes a note of off-line transactions that occurred years/decades ago. People keep saying it’s net, not gross, but you may have to prove your cost basis otherwise it’ll be gross 🤮

On 1/3/2022 at 9:43 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Screw it…every key I sell comes with a long box of my 1985-1995 baseball cards….that’s a legitimate loss right there! Greg Jeffries and Jerome Walton rookies for er’body!!

Seriously though, one of my concerns is the uncertainty around “proof”. Hardly anyone in this hobby, or any hobby for that matter, prints off eBay/CLINK/Heritage wins (“receipts”) or makes a note of off-line transactions that occurred years/decades ago. People keep saying it’s net, not gross, but you may have to prove your cost basis otherwise it’ll be gross 🤮

I don't recall getting receipts from purchases at the shops or cons during the 70s, 80s, 90s....,

I do have accounting ledgers going back that far, but they are arranged by date.  I would have to hire 20 chimpanzees to sort that out.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Beige said:

Thanks - but I guess I'm asking is there a length of time of ownership when the book becomes 'tax-exempt'?

Again with a home 12 months of owner-occupation removes all capital gains tax when you sell it - regardless of when you bought the house.

You just have to have lived in it for 12 months.

I don't see how someone who has kept a book for 40 years and then sold due to retirement should pay tax the same as a flipper who bought the book 3 months ago and then sold pre-movie.

Currently in Aus, if you own (don't quote me) something published prior to 1970 OR paid less than $600 for the item - you don't pay capital gains tax.

To change that to taxing every cent over $600 in sales profit over a year will have huge ramifications - hence my question.

Interesting times ahead.

There's a similar rule for the sale of a home in the US (2 years of living in it in the previous 5 years will let you exclude 250K in profit). There is no length of time for comic books or any other form of investment in which it would become tax exempt due to length of ownership. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:43 PM, AGGIEZ said:

If you make a good faith effort to come up with a cost basis, I doubt very much that you'll have any issues.  Honestly, the odds of an audit is pretty tiny if you report numbers that are plausible.  The IRS is pretty understaffed.  If their computers don't flag your return as in error, it is really unlikely that you are going to have a problem. 

On 1/2/2022 at 11:46 PM, FlyingDonut said:

You're not taxed on your 1099. You're taxed on your income. If you're reporting your income from the 1099, you really need to contact a tax professional.

Over the years, you have been the constant voice of reason regarding how to properly sell on Ebay. Thank you! And let's be real, if you are selling enough volume you will know how to file and prove actual income. You are 100% right that if you are an online seller or reseller you should speak with a professional and know how to protect yourself.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:17 PM, lizards2 said:

I've thought about the same. Maybe even a add a discount for cash.

Although checks and cash I believe are run in and out of your checking or savings account when cashed.

You mean we can’t event cash cash now?!? W…T….Ffffffffffff……

On 1/4/2022 at 6:26 PM, AGGIEZ said:
On 1/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, lizards2 said:

I've thought about the same. Maybe even a add a discount for cash.

Although checks and cash I believe are run in and out of your checking or savings account when cashed.

You mean we can’t event cash cash now?!? W…T….Ffffffffffff……

What I meant is that banks were supposed to be tracking even cash deposits for reporting to the IRS - Not sure that survived whatever it is congress is working on.