• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Star Wars #7 the first fictionalized story for the Star Wars mythos after "A New Hope?"

17 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 2:35 PM, NoMan said:

or was it Splinter of the Mind's Eye?

It's the first one I recall seeing at the time, but I was not actively seeking stuff out, just passively seeing what was around the few stores in my area (e.g. local stationery store and these things they had back then called "bookplaces")

By Alan Dean Foster or something, right? Only reason I know his name. But since the comic came out months before the movie, probably #7 was first chronologically, imo. Takes a little bit of time to write a novel, is my guess, unless he just adapted a story (ie he already had it mostly done).

Edited by grebal

On 1/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, grebal said:

It's the first one I recall seeing at the time, but I was not actively seeking stuff out, just passively seeing what was around the few stores in my area (e.g. local stationery store and these things they had back then called "bookplaces")

By Alan Dean Foster or something, right? Only reason I know his name. But since the comic came out months before the movie, probably #7 was first chronologically, imo. Takes a little bit of time to write a novel, is my guess, unless he just adapted a story (ie he already had it mostly done).

yeah ADF did write Splinter, although I believe it was written before SW #7 although that may have come first. Who knows?

On 1/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, MAR1979 said:

"Was Star Wars #7 the first fictionalized story for the Star Wars mythos after "A New Hope?"

The answer is Yes.

Star Wars 7 is cover dated Jan 1978. That means it first hit the newsstands in Sept 1977 or 1st week of Oct 1977 at the latest.  The artists would have been working on it in April perhaps even as late as May 1977.

Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye first went on-sale March 1978.

While it's very possible Foster started on the book prior to the Feb/March 1977 writing of Marvel Star Wars #7 that is not relevant.  The only thing that counts is the first available/issue date and Marvel Star Wars #7 was on-sale and available almost a full 6 months before Splinter was released.

Although it was many years after 1977, the first issue of Star Wars i ever saw as child was an old beat-up #7. It remains one of my, if not still my, favorite cover in the run.

Star_Wars7.thumb.jpg.8874d5e4508cf22d80f2032cb5f2da0a.jpg

Star Wars Christmas first aired Nov 17, 1978 so a distant 3rd.

thanks

On 1/5/2022 at 9:30 AM, IngelsFan said:

Pizzazz #1 predates it with a cover date of 10/77 and is considered the first SW expanded universe story. It opens with Luke, Leia, C-3PO and R2-D2 leaving Yavin-4.

9EB4409D-9F23-4184-8B68-02105105B049.jpeg

You are correct Pizzazz 1 is the first Star Wars extended universe story!

Pizzazz 1 is cover dated Oct 1977 and went on-sale late June 1977!  Star Wars 7 was 3 months later and by then 3 installments of the Roy Thomas/Howard Chaykin story had been published in Pizzazz 1-3.

As 1970's Marvel Magazine Pizzazz #1 has virtually no CGC census population. 

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:pizzazz:/desc/no/label/all/orderby/year/variants/yes/census/220104/

Expect to see these disappear off of eBay now :) 

Problem is they are way too rare, supply is way, way,way too low for flippers and speculators to obtain copies in order to make their fast bank.  The sweet spot for that is a high population around 1500 copies or more in 9.6 and higher like say ASM 194

Question: how can we go about having CGC recognize Pizzaz 1 rather than Star Wars 7 as 1st extended universe?  While we are at it have CGC correct Blank Panther 14 1979 which is Bill Sienkiewicz's first published cover not Bingham's. Bingham never drew even a single 1970 marvel cover.

image.thumb.png.52751e385b2d0762758f1e34b943fe04.png

Edited by MAR1979

Adding:

Pizzazz #1 was on-sale same month as Star Wars #4. This means the first Star Wars extended universe story appeared 2 months before the adaption of the film concluded in Star Wars #6 and before most has even seen the film.

Congrats to whomever wiped all the CGC copies off eBay. We all know it was those who read this topic that did it.

Edited by MAR1979

Yep - I was watching a couple copies of slabbed Pizzazz 1 on eBay with the intention to buy one, but never got around to it.  Now they are all gone.  There was also a 9.6 on ComicLink yesterday, I bought it for the asking price, then eventually got a message that it was no longer available.  Someone’s trying to corner the market.  I wonder how many quality unslabbed copies are out there. 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:27 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

Yep - I was watching a couple copies of slabbed Pizzazz 1 on eBay with the intention to buy one, but never got around to it.  Now they are all gone.  There was also a 9.6 on ComicLink yesterday, I bought it for the asking price, then eventually got a message that it was no longer available.  Someone’s trying to corner the market.  I wonder how many quality unslabbed copies are out there. 

The one on comiclink is the same as the one of the 2 9.6's that were on eBay.   I do wonder if same person purchased the only 3 CGC graded on eBay?  Had the sellers read this topic they could ended the listings and opened  regular auctions and possibly doubled or tripled their sale price. :bigsmile:

I do see at least one WTB on this forum.

In terms of un-slabbed in high grade my thoughts are this:

1) The issue has a Star Wars cover and is from 1977

2) It's a 1970's Marvel Bronze age 1st issue

3) Some sources have shown it to be the first extended universe story for years.

4) Overstreet has been $50 or more on the mag for several years, which is a level many decide to submit a Bronze age book as 9.6, 9.8 usually goes for many multiple more.

Based on above my feeling is the book may not have a lot of raw high-grade as if it did there might be more than half dozen in 9.6 and 9.8 on the census.  We will see through the year I think and I'd like there to be more so I could snag one. Although I have self-imposed rule against purchasing book when they are hot, still it's a cool item :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, MAR1979 said:

Based on above my feeling is the book may not have a lot of raw high-grade as if it did there might be more than half dozen in 9.6 and 9.8 on the census.  We will see through the year I think and I'd like there to be more so I could snag one. Although I have self-imposed rule against purchasing book when they are hot, still it's a cool item :)

Was able to get one recently .Now I can once again make claim I have the first extended universe appearance :)

Issue includes a KISS article and pics as well!

Also some Big John/Chan Tarzan

Pizzazz1-forums.thumb.jpg.67dc85dcd57bf71dd1131b0fd1d79524.jpg

image.thumb.png.9d0e42740f4c80d8bb0dce0031e45436.png

image.thumb.png.2eff32774e83473438390c7267519e3a.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/31/2022 at 12:10 AM, HouseofComics.Com said:

How many pages is that story?

First issue I ever bought was 7 or 8, probably after seeing the movie a bit late. I think I had the full story, so if it was 8 I was able to scour the local spinner racks and find a 7 that hadn't been returned yet.

The Story in Pizzazz 1 is 3 pgs and continues for many months.

Star Wars 7 is the then Marvel standard of 17 pages.

Star Wars 7 follows Han and Chewie's adventures immediately after events of 1st Movie. Pizzazz 1 follows Luke,Leih,R2D,C3PO adventures immediately after events of 1st Movie.  Pizzazz 1 was on-sale 4 months before Star Wars 7.  Both were written by Thomas and penciled by Chaykin

Edited by MAR1979