• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing and Grading Fees and Questions
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I am new member to board and CGC. I am about to submit some of my comics for the first time to CGC. If I have some of more valuable comics pressed and graded through the Walkthrough Tier. It will take about 29 days total and cost 6% of the market plus shipping costs value. So for a $5,000 book it would cost about $300 plus shipping. Is that correct? And any suggestion on whether to press books and suggested grading tiers would help.

Thank you,

Bullitt82

How are you arriving at a $5k valuation?  Valuation implies a good idea of the condition, but if you're asking how to know when to press books then it sounds like you need some help in that area.   

Read the sticky in the Buddy  Can You Spare a Grade Forum.  If you have access to a scanner, take scans of the front & back covers (or pics if you don't have one) and up close pics of the corners (or zoom the scans)  & the book an an angle.  Members can then give you estimates on the grade and whether a press could help.  I usually say the FMV you would give CGC is the replacement cost for your raw book as is rather than the pressed/graded book.  If you overestimate the FMV and the resultant grade would've fit a lower tier then CGC will not refund you any more.   Conversely CGC may or may not upcharge you.  Of course it will take longer to get your book back using a lower tier

As far as your example, you would also need to add in shipping costs in addition to thoe 3% walkthru chargers (if you stick with 5k FMV)

You can see update sshipping fees under the 'News' section from the home page

On 1/4/2022 at 8:03 PM, Bullitt82 said:

I am new member to board and CGC. I am about to submit some of my comics for the first time to CGC. If I have some of more valuable comics pressed and graded through the Walkthrough Tier. It will take about 29 days total and cost 6% of the market plus shipping costs value. So for a $5,000 book it would cost about $300 plus shipping. Is that correct? And any suggestion on whether to press books and suggested grading tiers would help.

Thank you,

Bullitt82

Yes, that's correct. CGC does their own pressing, which is what I would pick in this case. You can look it up on their website in the service fees part. You'll see a part that says "CCS", click there to see the rates. 

On 1/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, csaag said:

How are you arriving at a $5k valuation?  

They gave an easy round number to see if they got the math right, that's all.

Assuming your books are walkthrough and you can afford it, it MIGHT (might not) make sense to just send your book to a presser (CCS/CGC or some other reputable presser) and just pay for a screening of pressable defects (or other possible "fixes" like cleaning or restoration).  Maybe screen on the boards first (as others have suggested), but ultimately an expert holding the books in-hand will give you the best answer.  

Also, I would contact CGC customer service directly to make sure you have a clear understanding of how the market prices are established and fees are calculated, so there are no surprises.  And if you are contacting them anyways, ask them about insurance and return shipping terms as well, just so you're clear.  These are not insignificant costs.  It should also be noted that there is a chance your FMV will change after pressing (hopefully for the better!), so that might also be something to consider or ask about.

I am also new to CGC... I was wondering if I wanted to have a comic book pressed and then graded, can I ship the book to CGC for pressing and then have them Grade it before sending it back??? Or do I have to send the comic book to them, have it graded and then have them ship it back to me and... then... ship it back to CGC for grading when I know I still want the book to be graded?

• Administrator
On 1/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Joe Ammirato said:

I am also new to CGC... I was wondering if I wanted to have a comic book pressed and then graded, can I ship the book to CGC for pressing and then have them Grade it before sending it back???

Yes.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Joe Ammirato said:

Or do I have to send the comic book to them, have it graded and then have them ship it back to me and... then... ship it back to CGC for grading when I know I still want the book to be graded?

You could go this route as well but, that would be expensive.  CCS has a screening option.  This service evaluates the comic for Pressing candidacy; if suitable, it proceeds to Pressing.  Here's a link to that service.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/ccs-pressing/

Mike

• Administrator
On 1/15/2022 at 8:22 AM, Joe Ammirato said:

That is a good option, but what do I do if the comic is considered a modern comic as it was first introduced in 1985?  As the screening section on the website seems to exclude the modern tier.

Well, you could post front and back scans in the hey buddy can you spare a grade forum, and ask board members if they feel it would benefit from a press.  That might aid you in making a decision on this.  Here is a link to that forum.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Thank you for the super quick reply... Didnt expect a reply so quickly.. i may just have to do that.  Also, another question slightly off this topic... How should i package 14 comics from my packing list (i know in order of list, but i mean since the raw book boxes are usually for 1-10 books each, should i put the first 7 of the packing list in one box and the remaining 7 in another box and then both of those into another bigger box with the packing slip? (Of course labelling each raw book box to correspond with the packing list).

• Administrator
On 1/15/2022 at 8:51 AM, Joe Ammirato said:

Thank you for the super quick reply... Didnt expect a reply so quickly.. i may just have to do that.  Also, another question slightly off this topic... How should i package 14 comics from my packing list (i know in order of list, but i mean since the raw book boxes are usually for 1-10 books each, should i put the first 7 of the packing list in one box and the remaining 7 in another box and then both of those into another bigger box with the packing slip? (Of course labelling each raw book box to correspond with the packing list).

Others might be able to chime in on this.  I can only post what CGC recommends.  Here is a link to CGC shipping kits and packing instructions for those.  (Kits currently on back order)  Also, a video for a large shipping kit for orders of more than 10 books.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8035/cgc-shipping-kits/

I appreciate all the advise. Heritage Auctions made an offer to buy my Comics upfront or waive all the upfront charges and have them taken off after the final sales of my comics which would include pressing and CGC grading. Heritage also offered a much better percentage than E-Bay for selling fees.  I collected as kid and have a pretty good collection. I am still deciding what to do. Keep them, sell some of them through Heritage, or send them to CGC and sell them through E-Bay. I have met with a few Comic book store owners and they gave me some pretty good advise about understanding Market value and my choices on how to sell. Heritage recommended a prescreening and to press every book that could be improved.   

If any one has other advise or experience with the process of pressing, grading, and who to sell with it would much appreciated.