• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I recently purchased an AF15 from the original owner.  In the earthquake of 89’ his fireplace collapsed into the bookshelf where this book was on display.  It took a heavy tear to the cover.  The tear is in the best place it could be I suppose.  

The piece is still attached.  And I’d carefully placed fits like a puzzle making it far less noticeable for presentations sake. 

Without taping it, does anyone have any suggestions on possibly having CGC “place” the torn piece back in its position after grading/handling the book?  It will go along way for presentations sake.  Im expecting a grade of 1.0z The book is complete and relatively clean otherwise.  Far more clean than other 1.0-2.0 copies I’ve observed. 

I know their position on tape and would never do that to any comic but boy this would be the time for a well placed tiny reinforcement of the back cover.

91B185A6-11D7-4DF7-A027-140A594B1832.jpeg

24CAD878-E25B-4F0C-B27E-1B06294DF38B.jpeg

On 1/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, Madbeezy said:

I recently purchased an AF15 from the original owner.  In the earthquake of 89’ his fireplace collapsed into the bookshelf where this book was on display.  It took a heavy tear to the cover.  The tear is in the best place it could be I suppose.  

The piece is still attached.  And I’d carefully placed fits like a puzzle making it far less noticeable for presentations sake. 

Without taping it, does anyone have any suggestions on possibly having CGC “place” the torn piece back in its position after grading/handling the book?  It will go along way for presentations sake.  Im expecting a grade of 1.0z The book is complete and relatively clean otherwise.  Far more clean than other 1.0-2.0 copies I’ve observed. 

I know their position on tape and would never do that to any comic but boy this would be the time for a well placed tiny reinforcement of the back cover.

91B185A6-11D7-4DF7-A027-140A594B1832.jpeg

24CAD878-E25B-4F0C-B27E-1B06294DF38B.jpeg

I would look into having this restored....

Don't have it Restored, rather have it professionally Conserved - there is a world of difference between the two and with it you can still get a Blue Conserved label at a much higher grade with only minimal work done (and prevent any further damage, as it is not impossible the book continues to shift in the case causing stress to the tear - I have a few books with a defect that has grown over time while inside their CGC case. Conservation is also reversible.)

On 1/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Don't have it Restored, rather have it professionally Conserved - there is a world of difference between the two and with it you can still get a Blue Conserved label at a much higher grade with only minimal work done (and prevent any further damage, as it is not impossible the book continues to shift in the case causing stress to the tear - I have a few books with a defect that has grown over time while inside their CGC case. Conservation is also reversible.)

Agree with this. If that’s the only major defect, professionally stabilizing the tear should get you a higher conserved grade than just submitting it as is, and without the “restored” stigma (the book looks otherwise good enough not to warrant restoration anyway).

On 1/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If the piece is still attached, I imagine that CGC would keep it presented as you have in the current bag.

+1 

Don't have it restored or conserved!

If you do submit it, I would include a note that draws their attention to the piece. Just to reduce risk of further damage.... Not that they wouldn't be careful with an AF15. 

Beautiful looking copy! Congrats. 

Lol…you’re getting the full range of opinions here! I should’ve read the description more closely, because I didn’t realize the jagged piece was still attached. If that’s the case, then I agree with those who suggest leaving it alone. Encapsulation would be all the “conservation” it would need. 

I am firmly in the encapsulate as is camp, as long as it can be done safely. Which is exactly what my concern would be. Given all the QC issues we've been seeing regularly for an extended period, my question would be "Is CGC capable of slabbing this book without damaging it?"

Conserved would get you a big bump in grade, but a press would make a nice bump as well and be a straight blue label instead of the conserved pseudo blue label.  A press would do wonders for aligning the piece and helping it stay in place while the whole book would look nicer overall.  If it were me, I would have a nice press and regular blue label submit on that one.